0 byte free space

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tgquan67, Apr 25, 2013.

1. tgquan67

tgquan67 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    Recently this strange thing happened on my friend's laptop: C drive is reported to have 0 byte free space (not the "0 byte free space out of 0 byte total" error, the drive still have 121gb in total). I tried to disable system restore, empty the recycle bin (it showed that deleting 15.5gb), but the free space is still 0 byte.
    Is there any chance that some programs keep filling up the drive, a virus (she is using Sophos) or it is a windows error. Since it happened on drive C, I won't be able to format it.

2. FFManHole

FFManHole MDL Member

Nov 27, 2009
    @ tgquan67

You could try:

- running Disk Management (type 'diskmgmt.msc' in Search) and check if C: partition is reporting 0 bytes

- opening/running Command Prompt as admin (right-click > "Run as administrator"), type: cd \ then at the C:\ prompt, type: dir /a/s which should list all directories/files. It should (correctly) report at the end of the listing the total amount of space available on C:\ Check in Explorer now the total disk space available.

- booting into Safe Mode and check the amount of free space is reporting the same '0 bytes' as normal mode

- running Disk Cleanup and chkdsk utility

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Seems to be that drive is an SSD? If so, check with Manufacturer of that drive they having some special Recovery apps for those drive.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. tgquan67

tgquan67 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    No, it's a HDD.

5. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Run Chkdsk to correct file system errors...

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Oops, 121GB, seems a bit old? Maybe not, I run Windows XP on an 13GB and that still works, just for one special Apps, not normal working!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. tgquan67

tgquan67 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    C is just one partition, there is another drive E and a 100gb unallocated space.
    P/s: drive D is the DVD drive.

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #8 LatinMcG, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
    ive had to do a few thing in this case..
    try
    partition recovery freeware
    this usualy works .. i use non freeware like active@ boot disk version 5 or higher.

if the partition recovery didnt go well i use to recover the files.. find and mount (.com with no spaces) from hirens boot disk

i used to do it the hard way with ptedit32 (rewriting same disk info!! NOT CHANGING IT) in hirens disk but then i tried partition recovery tool from ntfs.com and it works most times.
    good luck

9. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    OP can load OS from that drive & using it without problem(What i understand)... I that case why partition recovery?
    Problem is windows free space reporting

10. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    truee.. i didnt realize he was able to use it and boot.. in that case open the start menu then type CMD then RIGHT CLICK AND RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

now type
    chkdsk /f
    press enter
    then it will ask it cant lock drive.. do on next restart and u press
    Y then enter
    restart pc and let it do chkdsk /f

if problem persists u might have hdd corruption and might need to backup and format reinstall. or replace hdd if S.M.A.R.T. logs show errors

11. tgquan67

tgquan67 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    I recently found that some stupid program keep filling the C:\windows\temp folder with files like etilqs-xxxxxxxxxxxx, biggest file is ~800mb and many smaller files, total of 50gb. I deleted them all, but it started filling again.
    I suspect a software from western digital that will automatically backup the computer is the trouble-maker, but I will investigate more.

12. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    etilqs = Software that uses SQLite databases. ETILQS = SQLITE spelled backwards. ;)