0xC1900101 - 0x20017 While Trying to Install Win 11?

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by STaRDoGG, Dec 2, 2021.

1. STaRDoGG

STaRDoGG MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2015
    "The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation"

Anyone come across this error yet, and have a solution?

From my google-fu so far it seems like "some" driver might be an issue, but trying to pinpoint that 1 exact driver has been a GInormous PITA.

I've tried no less than 5x now after scouring the logs and thousands of lines of essentially hieroglyphics ;) and making some guestimate changes, but always end up with the same result.

upload_2021-12-2_12-11-32.png

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    This is a fairly old problem. In all likelihood, the problem is usually caused by a faulty or unsuitable driver, but it's hard to guess exactly which one.
    This is usually a graphics card driver or WLAN, but there have also been situations where the BIOS needs to be updated or at least reflash it.
    Sometimes it also helps when switching from AHCI mode to IDE mode.
    Honestly, it's hard to guess anything, too little information. Even this is hard to understand if you're doing a clean installation or trying to upgrade, what computer You have, whether you're using the original source iso/dvd, or if you've made any changes, and so on.
    So be good and give as much information as you can.
    Also, which hard drive is in use and what BOOT method you are using. In short, provide as much information as possible.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. STaRDoGG

STaRDoGG MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2015
    Heya @kaljukass

Thanks for helping out. I'll try to answer the specific questions you asked:

• I've updated all drivers and firmware/bios for the motherboard, (chipsets, LAN/WLAN, Audio, etc.) soundcard, and nvidia card to the absolute latest stuff, directly from their respective websites.
    • Haven't tried AHCI -> IDE
    • I'm doing an upgrade from Win 10 x64 Pro to Win 11 Pro
    • PC is a freshly built one; Rog Strix-E Mobo, Ryzen 7, 16GB ram.
    • I've tried using the Windows Installation thingamabob straight from the local HDD a few times (w/out rebooting; just running the setup), and also a couple times from a bootable USB made with the Wedia Creation Toolkit., both dl'd from the MS page (no changes to either of them).
    • Not sure what ya mean by which hard drive in in use? I'm just trying to install (upgrade) over the previous, which is on C: (a m2/nvme drive)
    As a test I used the same installation media to install fresh to a new VM and had no problem, so it's just my main pc that's buggin out.

4. ExtremeGrief

ExtremeGrief MDL Addicted

Jun 2, 2020
    "sfc /scannow" and "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth". Then upgrade to the same 10 version you have, and only then to 11.

5. ExtremeGrief

ExtremeGrief MDL Addicted

Jun 2, 2020
    Use MCTWrapper.