1 year old system suddenly "Not Genuine" - 971033 IS NOT installed...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lotherius, Feb 13, 2013.

1. lotherius

lotherius MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2008
    #1 lotherius, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
    I have a Windows 7 Ultimate system that I personally activated with the DAZ loader back in March 12... It was running without any issue. I hid the 971033 update and it remains hidden and uninstalled.

Yet suddenly last night it popped up and told me the system was not genuine!

I downloaded the new DAZ Loader today and ran it, it said it was successful, system rebooted.... still getting Not Genuine popup box.

System info says "Activated" but obviously that's not the case if I'm getting a Not Genuine popup.

Any ideas where to go here? I saw the various "activation cleaner" tools, but they remove hacks that I've never used on this system - as I said, I used the DAZ loader back in March on a clean retail ISO with no other hacktivations present. I have considered a BIOS mod, but this is a Biostar A870U3, and there is no modded BIOS that I can find for it.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I flashed an updated official BIOS a few days ago.... considering I'd never done a BIOS mod in the first place, could that have had any effect on the sudden lack of validation? How would I fix it?

2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #2 Daz, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lotherius

lotherius MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2008
    Strange.... I actually solved this just now, by doing the exact opposite of what you'd think you would do: I clicked "Get Genuine"... it asked me to download and install the genuine update, and I did it, figuring what the hell. It *installed* KB971033 (the evil update).... I logged out and logged back in, and suddenly it was genuine again. I uninstalled KB971033 and rebooted again to be sure, and now no more Not Genuine popup...

I suppose Windows just needed something to clear the Status: Notification message.. ...

I wouldn't have expected, however, that letting it have its precious KB971033 for a few minutes would solve it.

We'll see over time if it sticks. Thanks for the prompt reply! I was in a bit of a panic!

4. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    My guess is it'd be related to startup repair in that case, or maybe the older loader didn't activate alongside your BIOS update and the newer loader does. The issue then is that if KB971033 was installed (you uninstalled it because you thought that'd work?) then it'll perform a genuine check online and leave a bad HrOnline status code. You must then reinstall WAT by running a genuine check online in order to clear the status code. Once your status code is cleared you can then either uninstall KB971033 or keep it installed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    @Daz: I have a laptop with flashed BIOS to SLIC2.1..When I fresh install Windows 7 and use activator,how is runs..?I mean the activator finds SLIC table in Windows and injects activation,or what...BTW: I never had problems on my three machines: Asus,Dell and Samsung...all are laptops.That KB971033 is always present in my systems.:eek:

6. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    With a valid SLIC 2.1 table present, the Loader installs the key and certificate only. The system will become insta-activated and the Loader calls it a day, then. The actual bootloader part is not required and will be skipped (and no need to reboot in this case).

7. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    So my systems are genuine activated,aka I have bought the laptops with W7 preinstalled?

8. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    If the loader only installs certificate and key*, the system will be in the same state like it came from the manufacturer, activation-wise.

*If you're using an exotic brand, the Loader may not know the exact key and install a different one. Since keys are not brand-specific this is fine.

9. alicepattinson

alicepattinson MDL Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Hmmmm. Did you install your Windows into a New computer? Or are you changing your hardware most of the time? Coz sometimes that might be the problem.