10 Pro Alternative?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by scaramonga, Aug 7, 2016.

1. scaramonga

scaramonga MDL Senior Member

Oct 27, 2012
    OK, I'll be quick and ask for a recommendation.

I do not like Windows 10 Pro, Cortana, Store, the rest of the bull etc., what can I run NOW, that gives me the gaming performance of Win10, but without the nonsense, and without the hours of tweaking and disabling crap?

Enterprise?

I am even willing to pay for the damn thing. Cost don't matter, it doesn't, and will be worth it to me.

That's it.

Thanking you kindly.

2. beta-hunter

beta-hunter MDL Member

Dec 14, 2008
    download Windows 10 LTSB, it is free of all the usual win10 crap.

3. lucidus

lucidus MDL Member

Mar 18, 2015
    Get the new LTSB that will launch in October. Either install 10240 LTSB now or put up with it for a while.

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #4 EFA11, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    LTSB yeah, no modern apps, edge etc.

Understand that LTSB does NOT get updated like Home/Pro/Ent etc. Its a long term servicing branch. It is still currently at the build when Win10 first went general availability. No windows update for feature sets etc, only security and critical updates. Don't look for it to be anything but plain Jane so to speak.

5. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    #5 ofernandofilo, Aug 7, 2016
    What do you want: <as has been said>
    File Name: en_windows_10_enterprise_2015_ltsb_n_x64_dvd_6848316.iso
    SHA1: DBE728416545EA3E47FBA05575E81AD0F595871F

Next version, only in October 2016.

I don't know how it works around the globe. But I believe that enterprises editions are only sold - monthly subscriptions - for companies in 5 or more units per contract.

If you ask me ... LTSB maybe be the only version worth buying. But I do not believe that MS will sell to individuals, single units with unique activations.

I use Windows 10 Home and Pro at work ... my friend, that's awful. Nor was any somewhat satisfied with the versions of Windows 8 / 8.1 I used.

I have original Windows 7 and Office 2010 on my machines, and so when end the support of the system, I will adopt Linux.

I did not tried yet the LTSB, will be my last attempt to continue with Microsoft, but the Education version I already tested and did not satisfy me.

I would like to pay for a good system as well, but I will not paid for this crap that MS is offering for home users.

cheers

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    I must agree that things are a mess now. They're removing options and adding unwanted crap to windows 10 pro, turning it into the windows 10 home version in the process. I went all in with 10 pro a year ago on all of my machines, and now I sit here with the 10 pro 1607 iso, with updates disabled, trying to decide what I'm going to do. I even started a thread about holding off on rs1 which turned into a thread on how to make backups and startup disks. So, my friend, I believe we may be in the minority of people who are mad as hell about this. The Anniversary Edition is just ridiculous. I'm trying to decide on going with enterprise with kms on all my machines, taking a risk that they'll change the kms method, or sticking with 10 pro and removing all the crap from the install wim, or wait until shutup 10 is updated for rs1 and just turn everything off with that and using winaero tweaker or registry edits that daz posted to fix the damn lock screen that I don't want. I want my computer back. I don't want apps. I have a gaming computer with no need for ANY extraneous telemetry or other B.S. services. I don't want help typing or to talk to my computer. I don't want bing search results when I search my computer. I don't want to do an update and have to reinstall half my programs because the "update" kindly uninstalled them for me for my safety. I just want an operating system that works that isn't a full time job to hack it to make it do what I want. If I wanted that, I'd just go with Linux. The ONLY thing that's holding me back from going back to windows 7 is that it takes forever to do updates and even then I have to prevent the telemetry updates from being installed. This just sucks. I don't like where windows 10 is headed (turning my computer into an iphone in an attempt to make the windows store something people will want to use), and sending all this telemetry data out, and putting ads all over the place, and auto-updating apps I'll never use. Why? Why are they doing this? I have no idea. I'm beginning to think the answer is to just tell everybody to use enterprise. I bet that would wake MS up if enough people did that, but they won't. Nope, they're going to say how great the apps are and they don't mind the telemetry, and boy isn't edge great, it has 3 extensions with more coming because chrome extensions can be used. Useless crap, all of it. And I still haven't decided what I'm going to do. Windows 10 pro is turning into a fresh steaming pile of horse s***.

7. fiekert123

fiekert123 MDL Junior Member

Jan 15, 2011
    #7 fiekert123, Aug 7, 2016
    i can agree to enterprise ltsb,
    it's nice and clean, hogs no memory resources if you don't use chrome, updates in a lower tempo but still is up to date.
    and last but not least it doesn't whine so much about things.

use it on my gaming rig since the release.

*p.s. use the normal ltsb, otherwise you'll having problems with gaming. i did have them, and the N feature pack didn't work as well.

8. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012

I do not understand what you're talking about the Pro version if you do not need it. Or you do not know what it means to Pro?
    If you want to play, then go to the sandbox.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. fiekert123

fiekert123 MDL Junior Member

Jan 15, 2011
    i'm just answering the OP in the most complete way i can, and by doing so using my own experience. if you read before that people are suggesting the same version, so i don't see what the problem is.

10. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    Education!!

11. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014

server 2016 with desktop experience is also a great alternative.

12. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Yes! Acquiring education is one of the best things you can do.

13. sXpTv

sXpTv MDL Member

Jul 14, 2014
    LTSB! It won't take long until WZor will leak Enterprise S (LTSB Redstone). I'm also waiting for this version since i'm totally not a fan of Metro Apps and don't want to remove trillions of Mapps after every Windows Update/Upgrade.

14. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Tere isn't any desktop experience to install in server 2016.

It's there by default

15. kidpix

kidpix MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2010
    I was using the LTSB and now the Redstone Enterprise, but with all Crap/Metro removed by MSMG ToolKit.
    Well, I hope not have the crap back again in the next month update... :eek:

16. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Ok

You have no idea about what the desktop experience is.

You're talking about te GUI. Obviously you can install the core server which lacks the GUI. And obviusly would be pretty stupid to install the core server to use it as a desktop system.

The desktop experience is another thing. It's a component, which was optional until 2012R2, and that was meant to put the Server GUI (which is minimal by default) almost on par with the desktop counterpart.

It includes the Aero themes on older server, the screen background, the desktop customization, the disk cleanup wizard, and most of the bells and whistles seen on desktop windows.

That option is gone on Server 2016. You have the desktop experience since the beginning.

17. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    #18 MS_User, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  18. WinFree

WinFree MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2016
    N version only missing Media Player. What kind of problem did you have with the N version?

19. frepsz

frepsz MDL Junior Member

Aug 26, 2014
    You could use the long forgotten Windows 7 Pro. No bloatware, you have group policy, and better gaming performance.