100% cpu use in w7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by robalm, Dec 5, 2009.

1. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Hi!
    I just installed kaspersky (kis 2010) on my windows 7 rtm x86 and i use it for the first time , i tryed to do the (full virus scan) after 30min i tryed to use the computer it was very slow so i checkt the cpu-use it was from 50-100% , is this normal?
    /Robert

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Kaspersky 2010 apparently is known for slowing things down, especially in explorer, but some have reported other things also. Now, as always, some ppl will say it's not true, and in fact some don't have any issue with kis, but you should try uninstalling and install some other AV.
    Just to see if it is kis causing this.

Can you post a screen of the processes tab in taskmanager ? It might be good to see which proces(ses) have the high cpu use.

gen

3. searchengine

searchengine Guest

I have been a diehard fan of Kaspersky for a few years, but unfortunately I too found KIS to not run great on my PC with win7 (Kaspersky ran fine, but did cause slow downs); I never experienced 100% cpu issues, just general slowdowns .... I have since switched to Eset Smart Security and in general find it pretty good.

4. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    hey

@genuine555

I think it would be good test to try other AV.
    I use avira free. My computer always runs well for 4 years.
    Later

5. kesper

kesper MDL Junior Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Under kaspersky settings => Options => Compatibility => Check "Concede resources to other applications"

It may help you....

6. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    So, anybody else tried out the patch yet ?
    Would be great for a lot of ppl if works.

7. kesper

kesper MDL Junior Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I am using the latest version with patch b. No more slowdown due to rootkit scanning. I also enabled "concede resources to other applications" in the option setting.

Love kaspersky, though still a small bug hopefully will resolve soon - Slightly slower folder opening (maybe its me, but just i feel its slower response to open folders).

8. kesper

kesper MDL Junior Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Forgot to add..........

If you want additional hidden options in kaspersky, use skins ;)

from hidden options u can stop rootkit scanning, etc.

9. searchengine

searchengine Guest

well I tried the KIS patch ... and although there is improvement, programs and folders do open a bit quicker: I will be returning to Eset Smart Security for now.

I just feel that although KIS Gui is much prettier than previous versions, overall the program has just become a bit too heavy, takes longer to scan and let sfx and other installers run, and firewall is a bit of a joke now .... I know you can disable this, that and the next thing, but that kinda defeats the purpose of the job its supposed to do.

shame, I used KIS v7 on xp for a while and loved it ... if you have an average cpu, avoid KIS, if you have an above average cpu you may not be badly effected.

10. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    thank you all for help :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...