BIOS Issue ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by genuine555, Oct 28, 2009.

1. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Since yesterday, every time i do a cold boot, the system won't post at all, the screen yust stays off and pc does nothing. I then have to shutdown, turn off powerbutton of the power supply at the back of the pc, and then restart. After that the issue is gone untill the next cold boot.

I have an asus P5B mobo with dell slic 2.1 and matching cert + SLP key.

Since post doesn't occur, i'm pretty convinced it's a Bios issue, but could it have something to do with it being modded ?

2. iNO12

iNO12 MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Flash the original BIOS back, if the problem persists then you know it is not a problem with the mod. If it stops happening then it was a bad BIOS mod. :)

3. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I know it is not the same thing as the other guy but I have flashed my Motherboard with 3 different modified bioses and everytime I have a modded one installed my system freezes randomally. I have flashed back to the same version only without modding it and now it is stable again. I even modded my own bios with Andy's AMI Mod Tool but got the same result. Can anyone give me any ideas here on this issue? BTW my MoBo is an ASUS P5GC-MX/1333 series motherboard. Any help would be great, thanks -Sam3971

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Did you guys mod it with pubkey ? if so try ISA mode.

5. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    What is pubkey and what is ISA mode dude?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    #6 NoJuan999, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
    Sam you should know that.
    If you are offering to Do BIOS MODs for people, (Like I saw you doing in another thread), you should not have to ask that question.

Just Run Award SLIC MOD tool and all will be revealed to you. :)

@michel,
    That board uses an AMI BIOS there is NO ISA or Pubkey method in the AMI SLIC Mod Tool.

7. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Then why the issue never arrised untill yesterday ? I have my modded bios running for two months now...

Could it have something to do with the fact that my cpu is overclocked ? been stable for ever though...

8. NoJuan999

Jul 31, 2009
  9. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I did not know what those meant because I was mainly focussing on AMI bioses dude. I also made Award bioses but I left the options on the Award tool default and no one complained so i had no need for ISA or anything like that.

10. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    What about my issue though dude? Like I told you I tried 2 different bioses from 2 different modders + One I made myself and got the same results everytime.

11. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    So what are you saying ? Abandon bios mods ? I don't like that thought...

There must be other solutions, so gonna read juan's article first, then see if it can maybe help...

thanx for the responses, i'll get into it tomorrow and if needed give this a bump

12. NoJuan999

Jul 31, 2009
    #12 NoJuan999, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  13. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #13 911medic, Oct 28, 2009
    @genuine555

I would check to see if there are any "performance enhancing" settings enabled in the bios. Sometimes there is a Turbo setting or similar. Modded bios do not accept overclocking as well as not modded bios, as the additional code is actually introduced. It is different than just enabling something already there (unlocking).

Any overclock, or enhanced memory or CPU mode is likely the culprit. I have had Gigabyte boards with overdrive and Turbo modes stop cold boots occasionally.

My guess would be to try the unmodded bios first, make sure all the settings you want work OK, then flash the modded bios and verify it is actually the problem.

FYI. If you are requesting a mod to an update bios..newer version...flash it first before requesting the mod. Not all newer versions are better versions..NEVER flash a bios just because it is the latest bios..if you dont need the new features, and the old one works, dont change it..

THIS is the biggest untoward side effect of the good tools, you dont have to know any thing about the bios structure to mod anymore..A couple clicks of the mouse and you are done...When troubleshooting is needed, you have no support...unless a senior member is lurking....:D:D

If you cannot mod a bios manual, I would suggest not modding with the tools, for others that is...Do your own, but dont risk other members boards with your experiments..The information to learn is here, and you will be better for it..

(disclaimer: The reference "you" and "your" are general terms and not intended for anyone specifically)

14. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    #15 genuine555, Oct 28, 2009
    (OP)
    @911medic

after flashing the mod bios, i had to restore bios defaults after the flashing, don't know if this is relevant ?

But after that, i've set the oc to the way it has been before, and it worked without issues for two months. Can't see why it would start acting up only now so suddenly...

ps : all turbo or other cpu enhancements are always DISABLED, it's the first rule of a good oc, even with orginal bios.

Gonna give this some thought though, and maybe try at stock settings to see if the issue remains resident or not.

Thanx for the info ;)

EDIT :

you were in that thread to yesterday about that f* ugly theme by deav95, weren't you ? see the infraction i got for 1 simple comment to deav95, saying he was bored himself ?
    do you think that's really justified ? I allready seen a lot of ppl from yesterday that were a lot more rude and flaming that didn't get that infraction. just doesn't seem right, and i'm thinking what's up with that kinda friendly politics going on ? give me your 2 cents...

15. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    I stay out of the conflicts.. dont start none, dont want none...

*off topic*The mods are going to be strict in here and getting more harsh. We never had much flaming until the word got out and W7 hit..the bios mods blew up, and the kids tore this place a new one..I say just deal with it, and it will be forgotten.I just said I liked the second theme a lot, and parts of the first. I would put stuff together to make my own, but I do not have time..:cool:

*On the topic*..Check for any bulging caps or leaking caps on the board. Any strong acid odors also. With the OC you probably have higher Voltage settings, and this is hard on the board as well as the CPU..The caps regulate the voltage, as you probably already know. The solid capacitors are best, and I do not know if you have them or not..

16. monoman

monoman MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2009
    genuine555 - I had similar problems to what you are reporting. I have an ASUS P5W-DH with 4 x 1GB Corsair Ram. After going through almost everything you have, I found out my problem was one stick of RAM going bad. So, I suggest you run some memory tests.

I too was confused but convinced it was the bios. Theory would be that when the bios loads into RAM (or tries to load) and the RAM is going bad, then your comp won't post.

I singled out the bad stick of RAM and removed it. Everything has been running fine ever since.

Hope this helps.

17. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    off-topic : thanx for your 2 cents, at least it's an explanation

on-topic : yes they are solid capacitators (it's why i chose that board back then), no don't see any leaks or smell strong odors, only a lot of dust. And i mean a lot...

18. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Hey, thanx for mentioning this, bro. Never thought of that. U could be very right. Gonna do that tomorrow after work.

EDIT : +1 ;)

19. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    #20 genuine555, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    (OP)