How to make 2-in-1 XP and 7 disk?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Learner, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Learner

Learner MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2008
    I'm looking for a way to make a 2-in-1 bootable disk for windows 7 and xp, as I don't like carrying 2 disks with me all the time. Any tools or tutorials?

I know about nLite and xp powerpacker, but not sure if they can combine xp and 7 together.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I don't believe you can dude. XP and Win7 are completely different so it would be hard to combine the 2. Try google if you did not do it already.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Learner

Learner MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2008
    #3 Learner, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    (OP)
  4. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I am not sure then dude. sorry.

5. bambara

bambara MDL Junior Member

Oct 18, 2009
    How about using a USB memory or DVD-RW? That way you can delete their content after you've finished. Note that installing with the USB memory will be faster than using a DVD.

Even if you could install both Win7 and WinXP, how will you tell the setup at bootup time to choose either?

6. Learner

Learner MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2008
    That's what custom disk needs to do - give us choice at start (custom menu?) for which version to install and the setup should continue from there like any other single installation.

7. bhupeshgajria

bhupeshgajria MDL Novice

May 10, 2007
    #7 bhupeshgajria, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
    Use Easy boot

Best tool to do this is Easy Boot. Infact I had created Vista and XP SP3, and now Windows 7 and XP SP3 (custom with patches till Aug 2009)

I also tried to combine Windows 7 x86 and x64, with XP; however Easy Boot had problems since size went over 4Gb(I am not sure why 4GB or around that was causing the problem)

1: keep your XP and Windows 7 Bootable ISO files ready . Remember bootable ISO ok not data ISO

2: open XP ISO with ultraiso and "save boot file" under bootable option of main menu , and save the file to /easyboot/disk1/easyboot . save as XP.bif

3: extract all files to /easyboot/disk1

4: open Windows 7 bootable iso with ultraiso and save boot file to /easyboot/disk1/easyboot Win7.bif

5. extract all the files to disk1

Now use the Easy Boot configuration menu to change the text for 1st entry to Windows XP SP3 and select XP.bif as boot file.

Similarly for Windows 7, select Win7.bif

Save the ISO and test in any Virtual Machine like Virtual PC, VirtualBox.

Note this method will NOT give you Win XP setup.exe on DVD. Only Win7 setup.exe as autorun. This is only the case when you put the DVD in existing version of Windows and it autoruns. When you boot from DVD from BIOS, you will get option for both Windows XP and Windows 7 Setup

Infact saving burning ISO with Easy Boot, you can create a new folder and add any other good to have software. I always add Antiviruses, UltraISO, Adobe Reader, etc. to get a true all in one DVD.

8. Learner

Learner MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2008
    EXCELLENT!!! :D

bhupeshgajria, thank you very much for the step-by-step instructions :). I knew there was a very to do this since I had heard people doing it.

I will try this and post results when tested.

9. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    How do you get this to work dude? I followed the steps but when I tested the ISO in vmware XP kept asking me for a password before the setup launched and windows 7 kept saying MBR errors. What is wrong here dude?

10. willymcmahon

willymcmahon MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2009
    Help

help please. the xp and win7 os's share the same autorun.inf and setup.exe file and they want to replace each other when extracting into the /disk1/ folder.

i tried replacing autorun.inf file for win7 with one that appended a v to run setup.exe cmd line in the file. and then renamed win7's setup.exe to setupv.exe. didnt work please help been digging for two days. other than that props to the guy that made the simple instructions.

thanks willy-

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007