Free upgrade for SLP machines...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DKane, Nov 4, 2009.

1. DKane

DKane MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Ok, I was messing about in VMs whilst testing my new DVD. I made an SLP2.1 activated Dell VM, with Home Premium. I tried upgrading it with my 7 DVD, it told me to use windows anytime upgrade.

Now curious, I open anytime upgrade, and see there's an option to input an upgrade key. Now, I wonder, will any product key work? An SLP key, for instance? Well, to test, I put in an Ultimate SLP key. It validated the key...

"No way", I think to myself. "No way MS would be this stupid". I was expecting an error message in the middle of the upgrade, or a deactivation. But neither happened. I had internet disabled on the VM, so it didn't install updates first. Whole process took a few minutes.

And it left me with 7 Ultimate, SLP activated. So, in theory, the same trick should work on any Laptop or PC that comes with Home Premium (or starter, I tested that afterward). So, people who bought shiny new 7 machines, you only need an SLP key to upgrade!

I'm considering memorising an SLP key, so I can really impress any friends who get new computers...

Anyone with an OEM 7 machine, please let me know if this fails to work for you, this is so ridiculously abusive of the system, I half expect it to be a fluke.

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Sorry old news it has allways been that way since vista as long as machine has SLIC 2.0 for vista and SLIC2.1 for windows 7 you can install any version you want just by using SLP key and certificate :)

3. DKane

DKane MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Oh, I knew that, I was just surprised how easy Redmond made it to do. There is no reason to let someone use an OEM key to upgrade a system, but it does! It allows an in-place upgrade to ultimate, using a method that has absolutely no legitimate use. That I found surprising. That is why I am suspicious that it might not always work.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    In fact when you think about it has even been the same for XP with slp1.0 :D

5. DKane

DKane MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2009
    No, it's kinda different from a user's point of view. All an owner of an SLP activated copy of 7 needs is a key, and they can upgrade to the best version in a few minutes. That functionality has never been there before. Redmond at least had sanity checks like needing install media.

6. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    I agree it doesn't make the most sense, but then again how many people out there that buy OEM computers are smart enough to find the OEM keys. I can't count how many times I was at best buy and people would tell me the keys on the side of the machine are not working to activate windows.

7. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Yep, so if you buy a computer and it has an option to pay more for Ultimate just don't do it. Buy the cheaper OS then insert the slp key you want into the anytime upgrade box and you're done.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. nene

nene MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2009
    I think this is correct.

I am using homepremium, because i need the group policy editor to tweaks my os as per my need. From home premium i did windows anytime upgrade to professional. I just input a professional SLP key...in less than 5 minutes the updates was complete, my pc reboot automatically (twice) and was upgraded to windows 7 professional. All in all it takes less than 12 minutes for me.

Home premium was activated by DAZ loader. From home premium to professional it is still activated.:D

9. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I did the same thing, I own a key for Professional, so I've upgraded from Vista HP on my laptop to 7 HP, then to Professional with my key :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...