Partitioning in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by moonburn, Nov 5, 2009.

1. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Hi,

I have a harddisk of about 500Gb. Due to the upgrade from Vista to Windows 7, my recovery partition (13Gb) was gone. After fiddling with the diskpart command, I managed to convert this to unallocated free space. I can create a new drive of this 13Gb, but I'm unable to add it to my C: partition or (this is what I'm planning) creating a bigger partition (around 25Gb) for an other OS. I would like to do this in Windows itself, since I'm not really good in partitioning and don't want to end up with an unusable system. So, to sum up, this is the problem.

1) I cannot extend my C: drive with the unallocated space, also not possible when it has a drive letter assigned
    2) I cannot create a partition (let's say, D: ) of 25Gb, using the 13Gb unallocated space. When shrinking my C: partition, the unallocated space is created after the C: drive, leading to this scheme:

Unallocated -- OS Partition (C: ) -- Unallocated

And I can't merge them with the built-in GUI of Windows 7. Any (unrisky) suggestions?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    U could use some partitioning software, like Acronis. U can merge and split up partitions with such an application. But if you're not really familiar with partitioning, there is always some risk involved. These partitioning programs do have some sort of recovery option (usually a recovery disk), so I advise you to use that none the less. Maybe someone else has an even better solution ?

3. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Yeah, I'm looking for a better solution. I'm not a noob, but partitioning just isn't my thing :p. I'm sure I'm unable to merge these two 'unallocated' parts because they are severed by the C: partition. Perhaps this was also the case in Vista/XP? I can't remember!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    U can merge it your c partition with Acronis Partition Manager. Of that I am sure. When u merge it, the task will be reserved, and Acronis will ask for a reboot. Upon reboot, the c: partition won't be mounted, and that's when the real merging is done, without data loss. I thought this was also possible in Windows, but am not certain, as I never use the built-in partitioning tool.

5. dlonra

dlonra MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    You could use the GParted Live Cd. It can however ruin your partition table. So have some recovery tools at hand.

6. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    So, Windows can't probably perform this task, since the partition is active? That makes sense, I could check out some 3rd party software. Anyone has experience with a 'standard' Windows solution, perhaps with the 'diskpart' command?

7. kETE

kETE MDL Novice

May 3, 2009
    i'm not pro in this things but if windows add the new partion you shrinking from c after c , why you dont merge th first unlocated partion to c and then shrinking c and then you have two unlocated partions as this:
    c 1 2

8. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    That's what I also thought of, but I can't merge the unallocated space to C: ....

9. swallen

swallen MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    everywhere you go there is acronis, there are other tools than acronis?

Acronis is bad...

10. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
  11. dlonra

dlonra MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    Yep, Easeus is great. But ... you can't change you're Windows partition when it's running (as far as I know).

12. Servi

Servi MDL Member

Aug 12, 2009
  13. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I can shrink it, but I can't enlarge it, that is the strange fact...

14. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Try partitionwizard, as Servi said. This looks pretty good to me too...

15. swallen

swallen MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    #17 swallen, Nov 5, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
    that Partition Wizard sounds good...
    anything else but acronis.

16. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    #18 NoJuan999, Nov 5, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
    google this:
    Paragon Partition Manager v10 Server boot cd

It should do exactly what you want with no problems.

17. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
  18. swallen

swallen MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    i like the boot cd, cant wait to test it :)