How do I enable the SLIC 2.1 flag on my HP Phoenix BIOS?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by weaveR, Dec 3, 2009.

1. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
  2. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    well, post a request for a mod in the phoenix bios requests thread.

3. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Well, I don't need to have SLIC 2.1 added but instead enabled since SLIC 2.1 has obviusly already been added to the BIOS update I have already flashed the BIOS with.

I don't need someone to add the SLIC 2.1 table which I could easily do myself but rather tell me how to enable it being HPBI103.EXE does not work.

4. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    I had a quick look I dont have time now (at work) to do much but i can't even open the bios in pbe. it's strange.

5. lazzaronetu

lazzaronetu MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2009
    I've the same server ML310 G5, and i don't see with slic_dump_toolkit any slic table in the bios ???? I've update the bios to the latest 2009.11.07 (A) then added win2008 r2 support !!!

Why i don't see any slic table ????

6. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    I don't see any reason why using phoenixtool as a ssv2 mod will be a problem. I tested it and it does work for the mod and when i check the mod afterwards it all looks fine. All it does is rename the disabled slic, add a new slic.

Does the server have a floppy drive? if so it would be rather easy to do a recovery if it fails but it's unlikely it would.

7. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Lazz, did you have problems with the dust fan not stopping once you updated the BIOS on your server? I just recently found out that you need to flash with the latest lights-out firmware also to fix that problem but I'm not sure if you have the same problem on your one being it is a different model.

Why does the tool rename the disabled SLIC is that necessary? What does that achieve?

No it doesn’t have a floppy drive and even though I thought if I flash with a bios that has 2 tables it won't work I tried it anyway with the command ph161700 /X /FORCE /O /C /S HP-O15_SLIC.ROM as per some instructions I read on this forum and it just goes beep beep beep and says it can't flash it anyway so I'm not sure what I can do about that, are there any better tools than ph161700?

8. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    renaming it from slic to slac means it's no longer a slic table so then you won't have two slic tables.

i don't see any reason why your flash won't flash, other than your filename is too long for the bios. Rename it to 8:3 so something like bios.rom to do the flash.

9. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Ok I'll try that if all else fails but is it really hard to enable a disabled SLIC table?

I would much rather have it so that there isn't a second table even if I can get it to work by having the old table renamed.

Unfortunately like I said when you try replacing the table itself the tool fails and I'm unsure how to enable it with the PBE being the file I want to access is locked.

I don't understand though how the tool can access it and the PBE can't that just doesn't make sence.

10. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    #11 phrunt, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
    pbe is old and risky, often causes the bios to be corrupted, it's far better not to use it especially with a new style phoenix bios like this. You can do a dynamic mod with the phoenixtool which will replace the existing slic with a new one but if somehow HP have disabled that slic i fear the new one you replace it with may also be disabled. Try the ssv2 mod first, if it works just be content with that. It's got no higher risk of MS deactivating it than a dynamic mod does. If it doesn't work (no activation because of incorrect rsdt dynamic will be your best method which i'd personally prefer to use for a bios that already has a slic 2.1 anyway but its just the chance it will be deactivated also, the only way i can see that is if they don't match the rsdt and slic though. Unfortunately I don't have time to play around and look at it due to work commitments but try it out with ssv2 and dynamic, the tool is pretty safe and those servers are relatively easy to recover when the bios flash fails but in this scenario I can see the activation failing long before a mod will brick.

11. lazzaronetu

lazzaronetu MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2009
    No, after i've flashed the bios no problem result with fan !!! however, after I also updated the ILO firmware to 1.80 version.

12. lazzaronetu

lazzaronetu MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2009
    how did you decompressed the firmware hp ??? i've a file named CPQW0502.2EB

13. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Ok I just tried using the dynamic option on the tool and for some strange reason it succeed and didn't fail.

I saw that on the log that shows while it is replacing the table it says that it has corrected the SLIC checksum to do you think that means that it maybe it unhid the offset of where the table usually is stored?

Anyway I attached the log if you want to have a look at it.

Lazz, you have to first flash the BIOS with the Rompaq flasher then make a dump of it with the Universal BIOS Backup ToolKit 2.0.

Attached Files:

14. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    yep, looks good, did you flash the board yet? I can't see any reason it won't work. It's normal it's correcting the slic checksum, it's correcting the slic file you've selected for the mod.

15. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Yeah I'll have to pop into work though to do it but then again I could try using the modified version of the HPQflasher but I'm not that keen to do that remotely and while booted in windows via terminal services.

16. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    heh. no I think i'd wait :)

17. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Yeah, I'm pretty glad that the dynamic option worked though a few days ago I needed to add SLIC 2.1 to v5.22 to a Award BIOS MS-7525 motherboard that already had a SLIC 2.0 table.

I had to use the ISA option becuase dynamic failed because it complained about something being too big and all the other options would have made it so that there was both SLIC 2.0 and 2.1 and Windows would have not activated.

I don't really like the sound of the ISA option but it worked so I geuss that's all that matters.

I just had a quick go with the HPQflasher before anyway but you have to use a .CAB file, I tried quickly compressing the .ROM as a .CAB and naming it ROM.CAB but it didn't flash anyway lol that's probably a good thing though, espeically if the remote connection dropped.

18. lazzaronetu

lazzaronetu MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2009
    OK, I've already flash bios! Now I try to dump with the program you have indicated! Can i post the rom it for have your help ???

19. lazzaronetu

lazzaronetu MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2009
    sorry, i can download the Universal BIOS Backup ToolKit 2.0? tnx