Integrating SATA drivers

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rasputinuk, Dec 10, 2009.

1. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    Hi,

How do I integrate SATA drivers into windows 7 DVD, so that the HDD can be seen at installation rather than manually install the drivers ? :confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    #2 kukubau, Dec 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  3. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    Thanks kukubau,

I will give this a try, do you mount the boot.wim or the install.wim?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    I always though Win7 includes sata drivers?

5. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    yes, but not all flavours apparently.

6. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    #6 kukubau, Dec 10, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
    You have to mount install.wim. Choose image index 5=Ultimate, where it says Choose WIM or any other version you like. Professional is image 4 I think and so forth. Use WimInfo button or gimagex(google) to list all the images inside install.wim. All the versions are contained inside install.wim.

7. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    That works only for MS drivers-signed cabs, which are not always the newest ones. I know that Winodws Update is pushing outdated Realtek NIC drivers from June 2008, but the latest ones were released by Realtek a month ago. For the rest, you need to use DISM (Je jin's Dims tool is just a front-end for DISM).

8. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    Am I missing something here, I thought that the Boot.wim is what windows 7 used to load drivers needed to start installation i.e keyboard/mouse,usb,SATA etc if it is this would be where I would insert my SATA drivers and if so how?:confused:

9. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
  10. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Yes kukubau is correct. You need to also update boot.wim with the sata drivers, else the install won't see the hdd to dump across install.wim....

11. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    #12 rasputinuk, Dec 10, 2009
    (OP)
    Hi,

Yep, I do get it thanks. You'll get no arguments from me, I'm here to learn.

You have answered my question and yes it seems I need to add my SATA driver to the boot.wim. As the WinPE pre-install does not see my HD or the DVD I'm booting off. All I see at the load drivers screen is drive x: which is the WinPE's ram disk, at this point I would have to manually load the SATA drivers......

So I guess I would have to inject the driver into the boot.wim index 2 which is windows setup section, but I'm not sure if I still need to inject the driver into install.wim as well......;)

Thanks kukubau, flipp3r,

I think I've got it now....I'll shall go away and give it a go....

12. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    Boot.wim index 2, that's right. Post back if it worked.

As I said, add the drivers to install.wim in case you don't want to manually install the drive after finishing the installation and that drive is not the one you're installing Win 7 to.

13. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    #14 rasputinuk, Dec 10, 2009
    (OP)
    Hi kukubau,

Yes it works. Thanks for your help, injected the SATA drivers into boot.wim index 2. and also injected the drivers into install.wim index 5, at the same time I injected my atheros 5001x + wi-fi, and soundmax drivers. Tried the ATI Sapphire 3650 AGP drivers, but it rejected them. I think for that I might have to edit the WDM 1.1 inf file to reconise my graphics card using the pre-installed ATI drivers from the driverstore atiilhag.inf using the PNP device ID from sysinfo.....Might work.
    Otherwise everything else works alright....:D

14. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    Ok, I've just finalised my custom Win 7 installation disk with all my drivers injected to the install.wim file.
    The ATI driver for my HD 3650 AGP card was giving me a headache. So I will explain the steps I took...
    First I downloaded the latest Sapphire AGP drivers ver 9.11 (This is the first W7 driver to support AGP cards).
    Install the driver as normal, now if you browse to Windows\System32\Driverstore\FileRepository\
    look for a directory beginning cw_xxxxx.inf with the above driver xxxxxx would be 91900 this directory
    will contain the signed expanded drivers. I found it easier to copy this to a folder in the root of the HD
    called Drivers ready to inject into the install.wim.
    A word of caution, in no way modify the .inf file even if the .inf file does not detect you card correctly
    (In my case my Sapphire HD 3650 AGP card was detected as an Vision Tek Radeon HD 2600 XT AGP).
    The reason I done it this way, is ATI compress their drivers and they are not expanded until they are installed.
    You can use this method for all the other drivers you've installed as well and inject them into install.wim in one go.....:)

15. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    The last post I indicated how I injected the ATI drivers into the install.wim however I was wondering if there was another way of doing it as I can't install the Catylyist control panel this way can I inject the complete driver package and have it install itself?.......:(

16. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I wouldn't bother with too many drivers. The video drives are updated nearly every month. Realtek HD are upto R2.38... I should go look, they may be upto R2.40 by now ;-)...