AMI BIOS Recovery (using CD)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Azurium, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Azurium

Azurium MDL Novice

Dec 22, 2009
    Hi all,

After trying many things, without a guide for anything different from default settings for AMI BIOS, I sucessfully recovered my BIOS. Here I will try to provide the information I wish I had when I flashed my laptop with a bad BIOS. This guide is mainly for people that can't use a floppy drive or USB for BIOS recovery.

If you hadn't already read the BIOS Recovery Procedures sticky, please do it before continuing reading.

1. One problem, at least with Asus BIOS, is to determine which filename will the boot block be looking for. I had a few problems finding mine but the solution is quite simple. Download an Hex Editor with textual view and search for ROM or BIN inside the BIOS file, usually one of these extensions will be used. Asus, normally, uses a name that is somehow related with the motherboard model or the laptop model.
    2. Grab a tool like MagicISO to create a floppy image with the BIOS file you want to use for recovery with the filename you previously found out.
    3. Grab a CD/DVD burner software (I used CD Burner XP) and burn a boot CD using your floppy image as the base of that bootable CD.
    4. Press Ctrl+Home (shortcut may vary) and power PC on. Keep them pressed until the CD/DVD drive starts reading. The process is very quick after that (mine was) and I'm not sure if PC reboots automatically or if you have to wait 1 or 2 minutes. The amount of time may vary according to ROM size and write speed.

Hope this helps.

2. wuhoatu

wuhoatu MDL Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Thx for sharing. It's highly apprepriated if consist of some pictures/screen shots.

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #3 urie, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  4. Azurium

Azurium MDL Novice

Dec 22, 2009
    #4 Azurium, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    (OP)
  5. James D

James D MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2011
    Help(((
    My screenshots. Should disc look like empty after burning??? I made 2.8MB diskette image because my bios is 2MB size.

6. teils

teils MDL Junior Member

Jan 22, 2008
    In my bios is not present bin or rom alternative exetension? thanks

7. deceneu67

deceneu67 MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2011
    Azurium,:cheers:
    Thank you very much!
    My HP NC6320 is back to life!