An Odd Occurrence - SLIC Lost From BIOS

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DeathStalker77, Jan 1, 2010.

1. DeathStalker77

DeathStalker77 MDL Addicted

Nov 8, 2009
    #1 DeathStalker77, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  2. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    No idea what you did there man, but there is absolutely nothing on a Windows image that could flash your BIOS. Nothing. Only programs specially made for that purpose can do this, which means if you merely run a Win7 repair facility and there is no SLIC in the BIOS afterwards then that BIOS definitely never contained any SLIC the 1st place. Otherwise it would still be there.

The more likely scenario is that you only thought there is a SLIC in the BIOS but it was really an emulated one. In that case everything begins to make sense since the repair facilities would restore the original MBR, thereby stopping the emulator from working. To the user it would look as though the SLIC that was there before has mysteriously disappeared since it can no longer be loaded into memory on startup.

Anyhow, since you already got it working it probably doesnt matter anymore. Just thought id let you know that a Windows repair facility can not and will not ever flash your BIOS.

Happy New Year...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. amires

amires MDL Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Maybe your motherboard is equipped with dual bioses and for some reason your motherboard has switched to backup bios.

4. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    yes I had this problem first hand with a gigabyte bios (dual bios) you can update and modify your bios ,but if anything (big or catastophic) goes wrong your bios will revert to the backup (second) bios for a safe start up and in my case the gigabyte system also reflashed (copied) the original bios back . overwriting the modded one .I simply redid the modded version and all was well again.
    so I know this to be the case with Gigabyte ,but does your board have dual bios ,or bios backup facility.????

5. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    Honestly, I don't know - sounds like it could though. I tried getting through to Abit tech support, but was on hold for over 75mins before I gave up. Jt being able to run a Windows-based Flash program would have reduced a lot of my downtime.

I know that the BIOS was modded under XP, not emulated.

Does anyone know of a Windows-based Flash program that runs under 64-bit Win7?

Thanks! :)

6. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    Windows based flash programs are the quickest way to brick your motherboard.

Just reflash using the flash tools from the BIOS maker.

7. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    Hmmm, I've no clue as to what could have happened then. I just know that I did do the BIOS mod under WinXP and it blew out after I got the last boot disk not found error.

Very wierd.

9. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Win XP used SLP 1.0

Vista uses SLIC 2.0 and Win7 uses SLIC 2.1

SLP and SLIC are two totally different things.

10. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    No, I mean I flashed to the SLIC 2.1 under XP in preparation of my Win7 installation.

11. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Ah, i see.

Never mind then...it just sounded like you did that for XP some time ago...