14986 running on VM BSOD's when attempting to login...

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jcc2, Dec 13, 2016.

1. jcc2

jcc2 MDL Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Greetings from Peru !!!

As mentioned in the subject, Insider version 14986 running on a VM - which never has had any problem with previous updates - BSOD's when attempting to login. As soon as I finish typing the PIN No. GOOD BY ! The funny thing is that it is always a different error. If I leave the VM to restart on its own it stays forever at the whirling circle screen. I need to power off the VM and then it restarts without problems to login screen from where I can rollback to version 14971.

Let's hope next update sorts this out as from I have been able to find many people has had the same problem.

JCC2 :confused::confused::confused::rolleyes:

2. Simple07

Simple07 MDL Addicted

Nov 15, 2012
    I have similar problems with Windows 14986 32 bit on VirtualBox, where booting takes forever sometimes, and sometimes it just restarts at will (as if you disconnect and reconnect power). But not on VMWare Workstation 12.5.2, where there are no apparent issues.

Also, this is the first release to behave this way.

3. johnlgalt

johnlgalt MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2013
    What happens if you change from PIN to PW?

Interesting. I've built ~7 VMs from 14971 in Hyper-V (4 a couple of weeks ago, then after reinstalling 14971 --> 14986 on the host, 3 more) which were all upgraded to 14986.

1. After copying files, when the 14971 install is supposed to reboot, it doesn't it hangs, and eventually I get a BSOD.
    2. Upon reboot, all seems fine, but I am unable to create a PIN during setup. (Turns out that PIN is not allowed on Hyper-V VMs (?))
    3. Changing to FAST ring brings up 14986 to download instantly.
    I, too, have had issues here and there with 14986 not wanting to boot correctly in just about every one of those VMs. Thus far, though, forcing the machine off (power off) and then starting the machine works perfectly fine.

I also have intermittent problems connecting to the VMs via RDC - VMs will arbitrarily not respond to RDC, even though another VM using the same Virtual switch and everything is working perfectly fine via RDC, and all three VMs have the same settings to enable RD connections enabled as well as being listed on private networks. Other times I've had all three VMs running and am able to connect to them via RDC, so I don't know what is going on.

• WinX Pro x64 IP build 14986 as host
    • 3 * WinX Pro x64 IP build 14986 as Hyper-V guests.
    It's frustrating, to say the least. I'm beginning to wonder if it has to do with 14986 itself, as well, what with all that Holo stuff being added....

4. Simple07

Simple07 MDL Addicted

Nov 15, 2012
    #4 Simple07, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    I read somewhere that one of the VirtualBox's crashing reasons is that "Hyper-V" is already enabled on the client, but it is not on mine!!

However, I disabled Paravirtualization and it seems to have done the trick.

Settings --> System --> Acceleration --> Paravirtualization Interface --> Choose "None" (I spoke too soon!!)

Also, un-checking Enable Nested Paging seems to also work, but the system becomes deadly slow..

5. Full inu

Full inu MDL Addicted

Jun 9, 2015
    Uninstall Virtualbox extension, and it should work without BSODs.

6. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Simple07

Simple07 MDL Addicted

Nov 15, 2012
    #7 Simple07, Dec 15, 2016
    Uninstalling "VBoxGuestAdditions" was the first thing I did, I also tried different versions of VirtualBox, and it did not work.. It seems there is a number of people complaining from stability issues with 14986 release.

I cannot confirm the change in behavior as I change parameters, but I usually get the crash soon after trying to change something (like region) in the Control Panel.

Oracle is not concerned at this stage as 14986 is a Beta release!!

Update:
    For some unexplained reason, this setting is holding!!

Attached Files:

8. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    #8 hb860, Dec 15, 2016
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. johnlgalt

johnlgalt MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2013
    OK, so one thing I have found - this should be true for all VMs, but I was told this advice specifically for Hyper-V:

Instead of using the regular console app (VConnect in Hyper-V) to conect to the machine, use the Hyper-V Manager to start the machine and then connect to it using Remote Desktop Client.

Advantages:
    1. You can have RDC remember the password of the VM login, without having to disable PWs for logins in the VM itself.
    2. You can easily share drives and devices in RDC (see pics):
    3. Because it is RDC, integration is a lot easier, in terms of KB and Mouse as well (this one I am not 100% sure of, but thta is what I was told).
    RDC Share devices #1.PNG RDC Share devices #2.PNG

Caveats:
    1. You *do* have to enable RD in the guest OS, and so if it is a Home Product, you may not be able to do so - I beleive that RD is only availalbe in Pro editions of WinX.
    2. You (may) have to enable private networking for the virtual adapter being used inside the guest OS
    3. Your local network needs to be able to see the virtual switch for you to log in via RDC into a VM (hence caveat 2 above).

I've had few issues with BSODs, but 0 when logging in, mine always end up beig when I am logging out (occasionally) and when installing OS in a VM (new or existing) (happens every time).

10. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I had the same problem with Server 2016, and Win 10 before that (tried several versions of VBox), got tired of it and even uninstalling VB extensions and trying different combinations of bios/virtualization.. it still freezes or it reboots by itself for no apparent reason.. it can be one day or 2 days or 3 and the boom! it reboots...
    I installed VMWare Workstation Pro instead and no more issues... easy, no mess...
    I will wait for a couple of VBox versions more and they I will give it a try again..

11. Simple07

Simple07 MDL Addicted

Nov 15, 2012