Tut about patching SLIC in vmware Bios !

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by Hanoui, May 31, 2007.

1. Hanoui

Hanoui MDL Novice

May 31, 2007
    #1 Hanoui, May 31, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  2. Hanoui

Hanoui MDL Novice

May 31, 2007
    I have finally solved my issues and I have FULLY ACTIVATED Vista on VMWARE ! Very Happy Very Happy

PLEASE SEE THE FIRST POST TO DOWLOAD THE TUTORIAL!

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Hanoui

Hanoui MDL Novice

May 31, 2007
    Hello Yen :)

I will short answer you :p :

Have new version in english

More complete

Avoid bugs caused by wrong version or wrong softwares

Anyway, even it would be the same subject , having many tutorials can help to fully understand .For example, I wouldn't understand how to add SLIC in vmware bios if I wouldn't read and translate the japanese version

And It help me to fully understand how to mod OEM bios for vista for later.

With best regards,

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Hi Hanoui,

unfortunately Vmware does not work with different bioses. I have tried it already (with older version). It works only with its bios that you have extracted with resource editor and modified after.

It´s too bad and it would have been cool to test any bios with Vmware before, but that´s only a dream. Correct me ( I hope that I´m wrong!:) )

Since it is a Phoenix bios your tut. describes to mod any Phoenix bios and will be helpful.

Anyway...if you have any questions about modding, please ask. I´m engaged in modding since February.

Yen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Why stupid?
    Any slic patched VMWAREBIOS will work. No matter what SLIC you are insterting, that´s clear. That´s not what I meant! It´s the same bios, modded with different Slic´s.

But as said: You cannot emulate other patched (real)bioses with Vmware. It must be the Vmwarebios, you know?

And: With your tut any (real) Phoenix bios can be modded, not only the Vmware bios!

Yen

7. Hanoui

Hanoui MDL Novice

May 31, 2007
    I have to learn more to more understand ;)
    ----------------
    But it's strange,if no matter what SLIC I'm inserting, why Acer, HP Vista version are activated when DELL and LENOVO bios fails?

The keys are goods and it's shows me that Digital certificate was installed properly.

But I have always my Vista unactivated.:confused:

I have create new bios for LENOVO and for DELL-->same problem.

For tut, i will slightly modifiy and rename it, for people who wants award bios modding.

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It´s not your fault. I think the problem is that the Lenovo cert and slic doesn´t match, same with Dell.
    It´s reported, others have got problems with them too.
    We don´t know who extracted slic and cert. It´s also reported that there are different e.g. fujutsu cert available.

To do it right you have to extract slic of a bios that comes with Vista preinstalled AND extract cert from tokens.dat. Then you can be sure that they will match.

To avoid that problems most of the modded bioses are with Asus cert and Slic. There is no problem at all.

Yen

9. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Up to now all avaialble SLIC tables with matching Certificates activate correctly on VMWare, including DELL and LENOVO.
    Hanoui, think you have done something wrong ;)

10. hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006 MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2007
    Hi i'm wondering could you use your own bios in VMware or is it VMware bios only?
    I ask this as i've just managed to get my hackingtosh to boot vista via Vmware fusion on apple mac 10.5.2 and the software for Vista on my ASUS laptop requires a ATK file to be running. When i boot via vmware i get tons of error messages on the screen. I don't wont to get rid of the ATK dependant software as it controls the laptops fuctions and battery.

Hence why i'm asking this question!

11. ashnofear

ashnofear MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2008
    I modded a VMWare BIOS to include the DELL System string in the BIOS for SLP 1.0 activation and which worked too.... And on this modded BIOS I tried to mod it for SLP 2.0 i.e. adding SLIC and RSDT tables following a translated version of Hanoui's guide.... But it didnt work even after 5 - 6 times repeating the procedure....

Then I started fresh with an unmodded VMWare BIOS to add SLIC and RSDT tables and it worked fine..... Then I added the DELL string in BIOS for SLP 1.0 and that worked too.....

Since I have a friend who owns a DELL laptop I extracted the SLIC and RSDT tables directly from his BIOS and used those for this activity..... The XRM-MS file I used for Vista also - I had taken from the OEM DELL Vista DVD he had....

And also it was a DELL M08 and not DELL M07 for which the SLIC, RSDT and the XRM-MS files are floating all around.... Probably one or more of those might be wrong which might be the reason why the BIOS modding failed for many ppl......

Any one else who would need some pointers on this - I would be glad to help.....

12. hiei1ckf3i

hiei1ckf3i MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    @ ashnofear

Can you tell me how you retrieve the vmware bios, i'm using workstation 6.5.2 and vmware server 2.0.1.

thank you

13. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    The mods are everywhere in this thread..just grab one and make it yours??

14. mcjohn87

mcjohn87 MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    #16 mcjohn87, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  15. curriegrad2004

curriegrad2004 MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2008
    Link to the tutorial is dead. Anybody still have a copy of the tutorial?

16. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
  17. curriegrad2004

curriegrad2004 MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2008
    That aside, Vmware actually invited me to test VMware Workstation 7.0 today.

Though I'm not allowed to disclose about anything VMware Workstation 7.0, what I can tell you is that they started to invite people over to the program :cool: