ASUS P5K Question about new BIOS

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Chriss71, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Chriss71

Chriss71 MDL Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Dear members and pros!

Can anybody help me please!
    I have make a mod bios for my Asus P5K with the FC Program.
    All works perfect.

Now, I have seen that there is a new BIOS (Version 1005) and I cannot patch the BIOS with the FC Program. (The second button is not green, its red)

When I mod the BIOS with the old program, its working.

Now my question: Why is this so?
    The new BIOS have also a module named FC.
    Why I cannot patch the new one like the old one.

Bye

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I was away the last 5 weeks and I don't know what Asus could have changed.
    Therefore I have to have a closer look at it.

They probably prevent to use the FC module to store the SLIC data in it as it is the official way to make a Asus Ami OEM bios by using another kind of code at the 1b module.
    So the best for you is to use the latest superstatic v3 tool to make a working mod.
    Another way is to try a FC mod manually.
    But IMO you won't have any advantages to use a FC mod. You will loose activation after upgrade with the latest bios version as well, since to unlock the module you have to modify the 1b module as well.

The ssv3 tool inserts the SLIC data into the 1b module, while the FC mod tool uses the FC module therefore. At Asusupdate the FC module is left untouched.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Chriss71

Chriss71 MDL Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Dear Yen!

You wrote "So the best for you is to use the latest superstatic v3 tool to make a working mod."
    Where is the tool. I have modded my BIOS with the AMI-FC10 Tool. So, which tool should I take?

You wrote "The ssv3 tool inserts the SLIC data into the 1b module, while the FC mod tool uses the FC module therefore. At Asusupdate the FC module is left untouched."
    I dont understand this! When you extract the FC module with the MMTool its exactly the same, either way by both tools.

Bye (and THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #4 urie, Mar 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    A original bios contains NO SLIC data, neither at 1b module nor at FC module.(The SLIC string sometimes yes, but not the whole SLIC data)

A working FC-mod contains the SLIC data at FC module, a working SSV3 mod at 1b module.
    So the FC module is different at a FC-mod compared to its original.

There are no changes at FC module comparing a SSv3-mod with its original.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Fzeven

Fzeven MDL Guru

May 8, 2007
    You used the AMI-FC tool that is different than a manually FC mod.

7. Chriss71

Chriss71 MDL Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Dear Fzeven!

Have I anything understand wrong?
    Here is the original text from YEN about the FC-Program: "The advantage is: You don't get a "mod" practically, you get a bios with SLIC such as ASUS is providing, cause you remove their restriction.
    SLIC is again in FC module (which is usually reserved for oem's) and is know to remain after a Asus-update. It's called FC-mod."

Can you explain me that?

Thanks in advance!
    Bye

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #9 Yen, Mar 27, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  9. Chriss71

Chriss71 MDL Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Dear Yen!

You wrote: "Are you sure this mod was done with the FC-mod tool?"
    I am sure, I have done it with this tool (ASUS AMI BIOS FC 10h SLIC FIX TOOL Ver20070725) for myself. So, I know it for sure.

In my case, when I flash the BIOS I will loose the activation.
    How will make this Asus, people who have buyed a Asus PC with preactivated Vista.
    Can these people not make a BIOS Update.
    So, my question is: Is there no change that we inject the SLIC like the manufacturers.

OK, Thanks YEN for your hard work and also for explaining me the difference.

Bye!

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #11 Yen, Mar 27, 2008
    First: I have updated the link to my mod, because the previous one was not ready to flash, so if you want to try it try the new one.

Second:

The FC-mod and the manual mod by inserting SLIC data into free space and disabling the lock IS the same way as the manufacturer ASUS is doing!!

BUT: A P5K board will never have a OEM SLP (SLIC) activation. So all the following biose therefore will never get a SLIC.
    You have to modify all them.

AT machines which come with a official OEM_SLP2.0 bios it's of course like this:
    Every new bios which will be released therefore will contain the SLIC to remain the activation for their customers.

11. Chriss71

Chriss71 MDL Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Dear Yen!

MANY THANKS!
    Now I have got it!

I was on the right track, but now I have understood it.

Bye!

12. Chriss71

Chriss71 MDL Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Dear Yen!

Please, can you clear up another question for me.

Why get I the message "CanĀ“t find configure lock in 1B module" with the FC program, when I will mod the new 1005 BIOS.
    With the old 0902 BIOS the FC program works like charm.

Many thanks!

Bye

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #14 Yen, Mar 27, 2008
    You are right. I've tried to modify the old 0902 version with the FC10 tool. And I've got two green squares. But the tool inserted the SLIC data into the free space of the 1b module, not into the FC module. This feature I didn't know!

At the latest version it refuses to work, because it doesn't find the usual lock.
    So the manually mod I've done won't work OR there is no lock at all and it will.
    The latest chance is, as I've stated before, the SSV3 tool to make the mod.

14. Chriss71

Chriss71 MDL Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Dear Yen!

I have tried the new BIOS with the AMI-SLIC3_0630 Tool, and it worked, only with the FC it wont work.

Bye!

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes, as I thought. This tool introduces a complete other way to get a SLIC, called superstatic version3.
    This method works at all AMI bioses except at some MSI (G33 / P35) series.

Enjoy your mod!