How to open Gigabyte DS3 bios?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rtfm, Jun 5, 2007.

1. rtfm

rtfm MDL Novice

May 29, 2007
  2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    To open and edit with cbrom1.55.
    I want to tell you that the 965 series are hard ones, cause the minit module makes trouble.

After modding you may be unable to overclock.
    Check request thread. I´m trying to find a solution at chinese forums.

Please post, if you are successful or you want to share infos.

Yen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rtfm

rtfm MDL Novice

May 29, 2007
    Thanks for replying Yen!

I have two versions of the mod I made myself. Since Gigabyte is dual bios mobo I feel adventurous enough to try them first myself. I tried static method with SLIC table and /nocompress option and acpitbl after it. Other version is the one when you have to flash 2 times and may depend on memory config. I'll let everyone know once I try it.

My thoughts on minit module:
    By looking at the unmodified bios structure it seems that MINIT is the last component and by extracting acpitbl we are moving it forward. If it needs to be exactly at the right position, this becomes a problem and decomposing and putting everything back in the right order might be necessary but this would work only with double flash method. And had to be done twice! :eek:

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. wolfhound

wolfhound MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2007
    Don't worry it's me - I had the wrong certificate installed

6. XBIOSES

XBIOSES MDL Senior Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Hi

Good work Yen.

X

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Thanx a lot. I´m very happy to found a solution and I´m always disposed to share knowledge!

Yen

8. XBIOSES

XBIOSES MDL Senior Member

Apr 25, 2007
    That was a new method, for me.

;)

X

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The original idea came of course from Zhaoliang. I only simplified his calculation of oem7 module and the rearrangement of the modules.

Yen

10. rtfm

rtfm MDL Novice

May 29, 2007
    Yen, great work! Thank you!

I'd also like to know how you did it and I'm sure many other Gigabyte users who like to learn how to mod their own bios. I looked into your moded bios and there is whole new oem7 part (oems.bin) with asus slic table on top but what is the rest of the code in it?

I see that you added oem7 in, found slic offset, used that adress (plus fff00000) as an address for slic inside acpitable. (as in static method)

Did you change anything else in some other place? If you have link to Chinese guide that would be helpful, too.

Thanks!

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #13 Yen, Jun 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  12. rtfm

rtfm MDL Novice

May 29, 2007
    Yen, thanks for reply! I kind of figured out what you did analyzing your modified bios. I was not sure what was the code after slic inside oem7 and you answered that it was just random code! It did look random to me, too :rolleyes: but I was not sure...

Is there a way to calculate the size of oem7 before compression or was it just trial and error? The difference is 36 bytes exactly! Coincidence or...?
    As far as epa logo goes, cbrom does not like that Gigabyte calls it *.bmp. If you change extension to *.epa it will accept it. Gigabyte people must have used some other tool than cbrom to put it in there :eek:

Like you said, only relative position of GV3 and MINIT was important so putting oem7 in front of them to keep them at the same relative offset seems to be the main thing!

Great work!! :)

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Thanks for that information..Yes you have completely understood!!

Yen

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  16. rtfm

rtfm MDL Novice

May 29, 2007