AMI BIOS Static Mods don't work anymore

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Mitsch79, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Mitsch79

Mitsch79 MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2008
    #1 Mitsch79, Apr 1, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
    Hi Folks,

I just wanted to mention, that as far as I have seen, the static mods for AMI Bios won't work anymore with newer amibios versions.
    I have modded several mainboards now, but had to face a board with AMI-Bios Core 8.0 and Build 4.18.
    This bios can not be modded using the known methods anymore.
    I even simply extracted the 1b module and instantly placed it back into the bios which should result in a 1:1 copy of the original bios. In fact it didn't.
    The bios looks completely different when comparing it to the original and it's broken.
    It looks like the way the modules are compressed into the bios has changed.

If anyone knows something about that it would be nice if he'd share his knowledge.

Greetings.

P.S.: Maybe somebody has a newer version of mmtool, amimmwin and amimmdos?

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    To have a closer look at that issue, please tell me what AMI bios! Link?

AFAIK are the tools AMICORE 8 compatible.
    You said that the bios is broken after replacing the unmodified 1b module. What do you mean exactly?
    Latest mmtool is 3.19

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mitsch79

Mitsch79 MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2008
  4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Amimmwin changes other bytes (areas) as well, even when you just replace the unmodified 1b module!!!
    So you will never get a 1:1 byte bios again. I've researched months ago to see what areas has been changed by Amimmwin. It was of course the date of manipulation and some other things. It owerwrites some areas with FFh bytes. Asus used this to write the ASUSTEK signature at such place, so you have to reinsert it manually after you have manipulated your AMI bios otherwise it'll fail....

But let's see, I'll wait for your link......

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Mitsch79

Mitsch79 MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2008
    But the thing is that the bios is broken afterwards and that's what is making me wonder.

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  7. Mitsch79

Mitsch79 MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2008
    I think I see the problem. For my image the compressed size of 1b Module increases, since i'm writing data into the file. How did you manage to insert the SLIC data into the module while keeping the compressed size the same as before?
    I'm inserting using ctrl+b so it's overwriting the place it has been added to.
    The uncompressed size for 1b module stays the same.

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The uncompressed size must be the same, because you don't have to extend the code, that's clear. But my compressed size has increased as well from 31C7C to 31E18 because, as you said there is additional code inserted.
    So you mean this causes the problem ???
    So my mod doesn't work?
    This issue is known at some MSI AMI bioses they end up with a black screen, but they are recoverable with the classic recovery method.

But you said the unmodified 1b module causes the problem after re-insertion as well? The compressed size should be exactly the same since there is no additional code inserted!?

9. Mitsch79

Mitsch79 MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2008
    Ok, the bios i want to modify is an MSI bios.Is there a chance to get the ss3 working if a biose has that blackscreen problem? Recovering the bios is no problem at all, since I can use the flash card.

I even found allready prepared SLIC areas (there were two) that are already there in the original bios, but without slic information. I tried to simply add the info there, but ended up with a black screen.
    Even the length of the SLIC-Table was already there (176h).

So do you know what causes the black screen on these MSI bioses?
    Did anyone manage to get them working?

Yepp, exactly, but somehow the bios breaks nevertheless.

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Aha, MSI! Now it's all clear.......

There is a way, called superstatic v2. Therefore the SLIC will be written into a free area of the biosfile itself......the address to call you have to calculate, the compressed size of 1b module is remained..........
    You can PM me the biosfile if you want. We can do some tests and work out the exact way to modify it since recovery is no problem at all......

11. Mitsch79

Mitsch79 MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2008
    Is there a how-to on the net somewhere, explaining that ssv2?

It sounds a little like the Award modding method.

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Zhaoliang explained to me this method via Email and I asked Fzeven again about this special issue. I'll write a tut. at the MSI sticky thread using MSI P35 Neo2-FR, A7345IMS.180 bios as example.