1920 x1080 monitor with vga

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by kumaramy, Aug 28, 2017.

1. kumaramy

kumaramy MDL Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Specifications:
    I do not have graphics card. I have quad core 2.66ghz cpu and 6gb ram. 250gb ssd. Nice high speed pc.

I bought HP 22es 1920x1080 monitor. And tested it with (brand new) VGA cable came with it. It worked fine and looked great like I didn't even need HDMI cable (also my motherboard do not have hdmi port).

But, due to finding some dead pixels, I returned the product and got refund.

Now, I bought new LG 22MP68VQ 1920x1080 monitor. This monitor was also 60ghz as HP 22es.
    This LG monitor didn't came with its own VGA cable. It came only with its HDMI cable.
    But the thing is I dont have hdmi port so I used my old monitor's VGA cable manufactured in year 2008.

The problem I am seeing is that:
    when I play video (usually 1080p) videos, there is slightly blutter on screen. Not at every frames of the videos but on some frames of the videos. I tested many videos but the problem is same. And it looks like the video is playing at very lower frame rates as there is not smoothness.

I am also not feeling smooth scrolling on websites as I was having with HP 22es.

But when I watch 1080p steady images on LG (the background wallpaper), There is no blutter. I also tested for dead pixels and other monitor tests but the screen is totally fine.

So, I doubt that it is due to VGA cable. But the thing is the HP 22es was also tested with VGA and it worked fine. The only difference was the HP monitor was tested with brand new VGA came along with it. But, LG monitor is being tested with VGA made in 2008.

So, is it about old VGA vs new VGA or
    VGA vs HDMI?

Thanks.

2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    VGA is Analog. HDMI is digital so the picture will be better. Maybe the HP handled Analog better or the vga cable was better. They often have a filter for noise on 1 end...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kumaramy

kumaramy MDL Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Does HDMI increase frame rates? With the VGA the videos are being played like 25fps on LG which didn't happen with HP 22es.

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    No, the video itself determines frame rate

Your LG 22MP68VQ had freesync and other image improving features which probably smoothed the playback appearance, video would have still been playing at the exact same frame rate

5. kumaramy

kumaramy MDL Member

Feb 16, 2013
    So you mean even if I use graphics card + hdmi cable instead of VGA, I won't solve the slutter problem? But I didn't check only single video. I have check many videos but the it gives some sluttering.

6. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    The monitor is making the difference not the connection / lead

Most videos play back around 24fps, changing the lead you use to connect PC to LCD won't change that

The monitors post processing will be what made it look smoother

Check to make sure your new monitor is set to 60Hz though, some default to 50Hz, or try setting it to 50Hz, might look smoother being closer to half refresh rate

7. kumaramy

kumaramy MDL Member

Feb 16, 2013

All I want to do is to solve the sluttering in videos with or without VGA. :(

8. kumaramy

kumaramy MDL Member

Feb 16, 2013

I checked. The monitor is set to 60hz. There is no option to decrease or increase it. HP 22es was also set to 60Hz. But hp 22es didn't give that slutter on it's VGA cable.
    I need to know what is the source for slutter in videos. Don't know if Is it monitor or VGA or build in gpu in cpu failing to do so.

9. kumaramy

kumaramy MDL Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Update: After re installing drivers from CD. The following options are available to set Hz. Please let me know which one is better.

upload_2017-8-28_16-34-54.png

Attached Files:

10. kumaramy

kumaramy MDL Member

Feb 16, 2013
    75 85 and 100 are useless coz they show OUT OF RANGE while setting them.

11. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    If you're computer has a slot for a graphics card, I suggest you try one. Cheap video cards tend to have HDMI, and they can help processing 1080p video.

Just out of curiosity, what's your CPU usage % while playing these videos?

12. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I had an LG monitor and it was terrible for watching video with my tv tuner. I had it about a week and got rid of it and went with a better brand.
    Getting a video card with an HDMI port is your better option, What type of video card you can get depends on your wallet, the age of your motherboard, the physical size of your pc case and power supply

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. kumaramy

kumaramy MDL Member

Feb 16, 2013

Videos play at 23/24 fps and CPU usage 45% according to km player. The same videos were playing in HP monitor smoothly but they play in LG monitor lower frame rate than it show 23/24 fps.