2.5" solid state drive for 1yr old notebook

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by alexous, Aug 31, 2014.

Tags:
  1. alexous

alexous MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2014
    Hello to everybody in the forum. I am willing to update my one year old VAIO 15.6" (Intel Core i3-3120M, Intel HM76 express chipset 4gb ddr3 RAM) with a 250gb more or less SSD. From what I have seen so far, the best value/money drives out there are Samsung 840 Evo, Toshiba Q series Pro, SanDisk Ultra II (coming this september), OCZ Vertex 460 and Crucial M550. I am not playing games, I just need faster application running, much faster boot, multitasking. The drive should last at least 5 years of life...this is important. As I have noticed Samsung and Toshiba are preparing new series of SSD for consumers...

Any opinion???

2. mimart7

mimart7 MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Avoid the OCZ's that have a Sandforce Controller. The Evo sereis, seems to be the best bang for the buck in terms of speed and reliability.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rEApEAt

rEApEAt MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Another vote for the Samsung SSD 840 EVO. We have two of them here; one is running great in my PC (assembled this year), and the other one gave a whole new life to my wife's PC.

4. skyfighter84

skyfighter84 MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2010
    I would go with the Crucial MX100 256GB, SATA 6Gb/s (CT256MX100SSD1) :tea:

5. alexous

alexous MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2014
    After viewing all these SSD performance, prices and endurance reviews, I am thinking to go for the Toshiba Q series Pro 256GB or wait for the SanDisk Ultra II 240GB to be placed in the market. The Toshiba has eMLC NAND which has (theoritically) better lifespan than TLC NAND used in 840 Evo series. The performance is similar to the Evo as well as the price. I think its a better value for money drive. About the Ultra II, I think that is a good option only if the price is surely lower than the Toshiba (as it comes with TLC NAND too)...

For Crucial MX100, I think its not a so good option bcz with a bit more money you can go for the drives I mentioned first which all have better performance...

6. alexous

alexous MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2014
    Well...its about time to purchase now. I decided to go straight for MLC NAND drives only. There is a very nice option right now the Micron M600 but I cannot find it in the stores. Does anyone know how to order it in European Union? :confused: