2. time a BSOD after using Windows 10 TP

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pisthai, Nov 1, 2014.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    As the titel say's.

I was using Windows 10 TP Enterprise build 9860 for a while now on the 2. HDD of my Laptop wile on the Main HDD Windows 8.1 Pro is installed. Instead of the DVD Drive, I changed that casing for to use with an 2. 320GB HDD running the TP. With the build 9841 I was use both OS'es with no problems till today with the build 9860.

Tryed to recover the Windows 8.1 Pro but neither way worked: neither Recovery, nor System Restore, nor Repair, nor Refresh. Didn't try to use the USB Stick for recovery yet, will do that tomorrow.

I could simply recover from an saved Clone, but that wouldn't give me the infos what could be done else using the available tools from MS, which is what most of the 'normal' users of MS would try to use from which I've a lot within my customers.

And what happen to me could happen to many pthers as well. I didn't condem Windows 10 TP for that, it's just an Alpha or even a Milestone which hyas a lot of bugs and glitches! The warnings MS was given really were not just for nothing and users should really aware about those.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Ming_the_Merciless

Ming_the_Merciless MDL Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Just a guess here: when you installed Windows 10 TP on the 2nd drive, was the main hdd (Win 8.1) also connected? That scenario has always caused problems for me. The 'system reserved' (350mb, no drive letter) partition ends up on the other drive, causing headaches. I now remove any additional drives when installing Windows - that way everything ends up on the one drive. After it is all working with the single drive, I reconnect any other drives and use EasyBCD to get my dual boot menu working, as that is usually what I want.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I use for years to install more than one OS on my machines. Never have any other HDD connected (power and Data Cable rmeoved) while installing an OS to avoid just that! It's only with Windows 10 TP I was get an problem after that. The solution will be not to use the the HDD Case insteads of the DVD Drive on that laptop, instead just manually cghange the HDD. That's just 4 screws, so not big deal.

Just to note, on Desktop I had the same problem last night while testing on 2 old HDD's, one with 8.1 Pro and the other with 10 TP and got the same problem.After booting of 5 times from 10 TP the 8.1 HDD wasn't boot anymore! Seems to be that 10TP write or change something on the Boot sectors (Track Zero?) of thye 8.1 HDD. Have to look more deeply in that. Not any bogus apps are using, just all originals from original Medias.

Let see what will come out?!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    I have no issues dual booting, Windows 8.1.4 x64 Enterprise on 1 HDD and Windows 10 Pro x64 on a seperate HDD, both HDDs are on all the time,
    i used EASYBCD to add the Windows 10 - I have option to chose boot of either OS, and yes due to OS changing C: the other Partitions also change so (and shortcut you have to change them also.
    I do nothing diferent than I ever have on a Dual Boot or Triple Boot... I have droped from 4 HDDs to only 3 HDDs, but only use 2 HDDs for the OS's at this time.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I'm not sure, it just could possible thatt those happen as I was try to Update the Windows to Go Drive from the Main Hadd which I update before to build 4860 from 4841. Something crashed the File system, special the boot system files on the Main HDD.

Was the whole day out and just been back. Bought a new 32GB SanDisk USB 3 Stick for to test with W2G too! That sai8d, I'll 'play' around with that the next few days, depend on the time I'm free for that. Sunday we althogh having Flea Market in Bangkok's China Town and that's all time very interesting and fun. Everything is to found there and from unbelievable cheap merchandise and prices to totally unuseable things till a lot cheat's, all is there! As I wrote could be a lot of fun!

@Snuffy:

I didn't use any other than the BIOS Boot Manger for many years now and will not change that. Years ago I'd lose quite a lot data while HDD's were going down, means the drive which contained the Boot Infos for the Windows Boot Managers, which let you not boot from an other OS if the drive is gone, that would not happen if use the BIOS Boot Manager. And as I wrote, this is the first time I got the problem, from what I think, it's Window related, maybe special related to Windows to Go! Here I've to jump in to find out what or whom triggers that problem. Let see how that will goes!

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #6 pisthai, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    The error given in the SrtTrail.txt file is as follw:

Code:

Root cause found: 
    ---------------------------
    Bugcheck c000021a. Parameters = 0xffffc00168905690, 0xffffffffc0000428, 0xffffc001708a3950, 0x0.
    Boot critical file  is corrupt.

Repair action: File repair
    Result: Failed. Error code =  0xc1
    Time taken = 3234 ms

Repair action: System files integrity check and repair
    Result: Failed. Error code =  0xc1
    Time taken = 297 ms

---------------------------

Anyone has any idea?

Thanks.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    A search at MS Websites didn't brings any result regarding that errors for Windows 10 and only for the 2. code for Windows 8/8.1. Although not any result of which boot files is damaged.

Try the repair from the system itself: Don't works! Try from DVD/USB Stick didn't work either!

Seems to be that finally I've no other choice as to format and re-install from ground zero!

8. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    I agree with your last conclusion. In any system, computer related or not, there is always a "primal point" whose health must be 100% at all times. No exceptions, that's just the way it is. Sorry you have to start over, but hopefully that will result in a stable computer.

9. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    I finally did duplicate your issue, and to fix was a real P.I.A. would not boot, so had to let it try to boot, then force a restart,
    finally after 3 time (so actual) would be 4th restart it went into Automatic Restore took about 3 min (like ages)then it moved to REFRESH, then it rebooted and went directly into with no issues.
    Like the old 3 stricks and MS will repair (REFRESH}, never lost any files or data.

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  12. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    #14 endbase, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    OK, downloaded the Beta which should support W10TP, installed and run it.

First at all, it seems to be that an ISO is needed for to create the bootable W10TP. THAT isn't what I want! My requirements are clearly to use the installed Windows 10 Enterprise (TP) latest build as soruce for the W2G Drive. That's needed (for me) in business cenario because it allows to use the same P-Key and activation as on the master computer.

Sure I could create an ISO from the ESD file but want to do that! That would end up in using and not legal way! OK, this is 'just' an TP and we didn't have to be concerned about the legal procedure in reality. All I want is to have directly and from beginning nothing else than legal procedures, which for sure many of you wouldn't understand!

Fact is, while in stalling an Windows to Go on an external USB3.0 drive from within the running and corresponding Windows Enterprise, some in fos about the Master will be added to the installation and let you activate the W2G with the same credentials as the master even much more than just 2 or 3 times. In my company we've 18 W2G on Acer 500GB's running and most of them were activated the same day. It's, according to MS Thailand, the o0nly legal way to multiactivate the OS without the need to reactivate every 180 days via KMS Servers. That it works that way, I'd seen it before using the Acer 500 with an Windows 7 Enterprise as W2G which were activated in 2012 only once and worked till last week as I formatted it to install the W10 to Go on it! That were as I got the first error of Upgarding and installed the build 9841 and try to upgrade that to 9860 which although didn't worked!

I plan to contact MS Thailand about that problem the next few day's to see what they have to say about it. Also I would like to know what they will tell about a How To .... at the time the fianl is released (if they know?!)!

15. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
  16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  17. fx45guy

fx45guy MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2012
    I've had this happen a couple times on my ThinkPad W530 with BSOD 0xc000000e.
    Once it happened after I ran out of laptop battery. Another time I don't remember.

Here's how to fix it:

Take your W10 USB install stick, Boot from it:
    Select option to repair your system instead of installing.Go to command prompt (in advanced options) and hit following commands to repair MBR.
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /rebuildbcd
    Press [y] when system asks you to accept.
    Exit