2012 Server will no longer boot daz loader 2.2.2(SOLVED)

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by djcslip, Apr 27, 2014.

1. djcslip

djcslip MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2014
    #1 djcslip, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
    First - i admit i made a mistake so please don't flame!
    The server is a GEN8 microserver and i was using the 6 months activation tool (con't recall where i got it)
    So i thought i'd use the Daz loader 2.2.2.

I did and it installed OK but now refuses to reboot. If i boot up with a windows disk in it cannot see any drives - therefore i cannot run the "bootsect.exe /nt60 SYS /force" commands to get it to reboot correctly.

I can see the drives using ultimate boot cd.

Can anyone give me some advice as i have around 3tb of data that i really don't want to lose.

2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Does it drop you off at a black screen or a boot menu with a bunch of text?

If it drops you off at a black screen then directly after the BIOS screen press and hold 'R'. That or rapidly tap it. If you time it right then you'll be taken to a debug boot menu where you can boot Windows with a "No SLIC" setting. You could also try the legacy setting though as that might activate you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. djcslip

djcslip MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2014
    Thanks for reply. Will keep trying the "R" but it hasn't worked so far. Do you think it's because it was a raided filesystem and something hasn't written correctly?

4. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #4 Daz, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    It should of worked as others have used the loader on RAID setups, although I don't know how large they went. Some needed to disable type 4 memory before installing the loader and others have needed to make sure that their cluster size is under 4K to avoid a disk read error.

Using Ultimate Boot CD could you boot that and then press 'C'? That should take you to command line within grub4dos. From there you can then enter this:
    Code:
    find --set-root /bootmgr
    chainloader /bootmgr
    boot

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. djcslip

djcslip MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2014
    Wow! Thanks VERY much. Using the code through grub4dos worked. However on a reboot it fails. Can this be fixed from within windows now?

6. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Go to the advanced tab within Windows Loader and select to disable type 4 memory. Next reinstall the loader and reboot when prompted.

Windows Server 2012 support is hit and miss. If you've got an Intel chip then you might be okay, but if you don't then you'll need to uninstall the loader and request a BIOS mod. That or you could use KMS.

7. djcslip

djcslip MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2014
    #7 djcslip, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
    (OP)
    OK. Thanks again. Uninstalled the loader and now rebooting correctly. Thanks very much for all your help.

8. ulan

ulan MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2014
    The OP's problem is very similar to my own issue trying to get Daz's loader working on a HP Microserver with Server 2012 (essentials). It would seem to install but upon bootloader all you would see is a flashing cursor. I had to to repair the bootsector several times in an attempt to try and get the Windows Loader to work. Tried disabling type 4, then 3, then legacy - no change. Tried sfc /scannow then the loader /w legacy option - no change. In the end I ran Microsoft's MGADiag Tool, which said "Unsupported OS", so I figured that the Server 2012 Essentials image I downloaded and installed isn't a final build.

9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  10. ulan

ulan MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2014
    Is MGADIAG also useless for 2012 (NOT R2)?

11. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Yep, for both 2012 & 2012 R2.