2016 Essentials - Backup Cleanup

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by MrG, Dec 24, 2022.

1. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    Last night I ran the WSE2016 Backup Cleanup manually through the Task Scheduler (TS).

Not having a record of how long to expect it would take I just let it run all night & this AM the TS still said "Running" so I took a look at the History tab & verified it had completed it in around 12 minutes so I checked the Backup Cleanup .log file to confirm successful, then I ended the task.
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs\RunTask-BackupCleanup.log

It reduced the data on the 'D' drive by 265 GB.

Now I am wondering why the item said "Running" in the TS after around 12 hours.

WSE2016 rig: ASUS Prime Z390-P, Intel Core i7 8700 @ 3.2 GHz, 32GB Crucial memory.

2. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    No advise or suggestions so I suppose I should just take a shot.
    Asked the ? over at the SE community also, only got a comment, no suggestions.

I do have a server backup so if something goes backwards, hopefully I can restore the data.

3. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    Happy New Year everyone
    --
    I had 3 options of what to do so I decided to test an OS restore on the test rig.
    The Win10 x86 restore took 24 minutes & was successful, so I tested it w/ several apps. I had installed & everything was working well. I let it update (WU) to 22H2 & that worked fine. So, I am confident that I didn’t goof-up the WSE2016 data after I ran the data drive Backup Cleanup.

This image shows that the (Backup Cleanup) Task was completed
    photo (1).jpg

This image shows the Backup Cleanup is still running after 13 hours.
    photo (2).jpg

This image shows the (OS) Restore was Successful
    photo (3).JPG