Arima HDAMA and HDAMB Motherboard BIOS Fixes

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by tqhoang, Jul 7, 2010.

1. caylor93

caylor93 MDL Junior Member

Apr 27, 2010
    From other thread

Sorry tqhoang, didn't catch the request to post them here.

Right now I have the 244's up on a system, but don't have the motherboard with the 280's installed. Info is as follows:

244 - OSA244CCO5AH
    powernow-k8: Power state transitions not supported

280 - OSA280FAA6CB
    powernow-k8: will provide once I have installed the motherboard

Just a note. I have tried the
    HDAMA-I BIOS v1.12 + Silicon Image 3114 ROM v5.5.0.0 + ACPI FACP Fix version from above and can load the Server 2008 R2 setup, but it does not see any IDE drives. With the SIL drivers from Microsoft, I can see the SATA drive. Any ideas on the IDE drivers?

2. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    No worries...newbies still post to the old thread because they find it via Google.

No need to post the info for the OSA280FAA6CB. I have these same CPU's and the tables already computed. So really you just want one HDAMA-I BIOS with the ACPI DSDT PowerNow tables for the OSA280FAA6CB right?

Regarding the IDE, I'm not sure what to say. Does it see the IDE drives with the regular v1.12 BIOS? If not, then make sure you've got the drive(s) jumpered for cable-select or manually set for master/slave. Also for the newer IDE cables (80-conductor with 3 colored connectors), make sure you have the drives connected in the right positions (black=master,grey=slave,blue=motherboard).

3. caylor93

caylor93 MDL Junior Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Since the powernow is not supported on the 244s, do I need a different BIOS or is the one I have installed that you posted above supposed to work? If I need something else, then I would need the 244 OSA244CCO5AH version. I will eventually need the OSA280FAA6CB once I install the motherboard.

Note to self: I n the future you really should clear any RAID information off old drives. As the IDE drives I were using were once part of a RAID 5 array and windows was still seeing the RAID configuration information.

EDIT....If you read this part disregard:
    Using the HDAMA-I BIOS v1.12 + Silicon Image 3114 ROM v5.5.0.0 + ACPI FACP Fix version posted above, I see the drives in the boot up and CMOS, but not in 2008 R2 install. However, I see them in 2008 (non-R2) install. Also, I can get the SATA to show in the non R2 install using the windows Sil3114 drivers.

4. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    For the 244's, you just need the HDAMA-I BIOS with the ACPI FACP fix. It'll use the default/max power state for the CPU.

For the 280's, I posted a BIOS with the DSDT mod in the first post. FWIW, the DSDT mod basically adds the ACPI PSS objects to enable frequency/voltage scaling. The original BIOS does not create the PSS objects, so what I did was create the PSS objects using the AMD Opteron thermal data sheet. Unfortunately this is specific to each CPU model.

So with that said, DO NOT upgrade the BIOS until after you have the 280's installed. Let me know how it goes.

5. Seg

Seg MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2010
    Server 2008 R2 64bit

EDIT: Sorry, just realised, Wrong Thread.

Hi guys. 1st Post, please go easy on me, lol

I know this question has been asked alot, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer, so here goes.

I want to install Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit, but can't get it to find my sata drivers.

Spec:
    Rackable 2U system - Charles Computers Ebay

2x Opteron 250 CPU
    2Gb Ram
    1 Hitachi 320GB Sata 2 Harddrive

I have updated my bios and can install Server 2008 on IDE drive, but wanted to use SATA as this is quicker and a larger HD. I will be using a Single Sata HD for this OS, but can't seem to get Server 2008 to recognise the driver files I am trying to install for it to recognise the drive. I have tried the F8 option with disable driver signing to know avail. Just a tad lost now.

Has anyone got this running yet?

Thanx guys

Seg

6. Rlandgraf

Rlandgraf MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2010
    tqhoang your Bios mods are brilliant!

I spent a lot of time modifying my own bios code, mainly to accommodate larger HDs. I know what it takes to successful mod a bios. After looking at your code, and comparing it to mine, I am very impressed. Thank you very much for all of your hard work.

7. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Thanks, but the only thing I did was use PBE to replace the Silicon Image ROM's. The DSDT mods were a little more work but luckily with the AMD Thermal Data Sheet + AMD BIOS Kernel Developer's Guide + Linux LiveCD's, I was able to figure things out.

You know the ironic part? I don't even own an HDAMA motherboard...LOL. I just have the very similar HDAMB.

8. Chris84

Chris84 MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2010
    Hi tqhoang ,

I would like to just like to give you a big thanks for the Thread, it has solved most on my problems in one day after i spent many months messing around.

Thank you

But I know this has probably you've been asked but i've just updated using the bootable Images that you provided and they were super, but my system freeze when i'm try to install both server 2008 and i've tried windows 7 and it freeze on that to, just at the point of expanding file, i get no error message and at abit of a loss.

Your Guildance would be much appreciated.

Again thank you for the great job with this thread.

9. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Which BIOS are you using? One problem that a lot of the users have with these old systems is that the CPU thermal paste has dried up. You'll need to remove & clean the heatsinks and CPU's and then re-apply thermal paste.

10. Chris84

Chris84 MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2010
    Hi mate,

Cheers got it working, i used one of your modded ones. included in the ISO image with the silicon 5.5.00 update. I've given up with server 2008 and windows 7 not because of problem but decided to put Microsoft Home Media Server on there which is based on server 2003 but has a media update included, looks pretty good so far.

sorry just got another question as its alittle tight in my case, ive got the 3u case 12 bays, but got a little problem that a couple of the bays are not work, one has a solid blue light and one flashes blue constantly, have you any idea where to look, i've tried looking into the power but that seems fine and but the solid but light comes on as soon as i plug one molex in.

cheers for all you help.

11. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Sorry I have no idea. I don't have one of these systems, but perhaps the blinking light problem is because of a fan failure?

BTW, I just wanted to clarify something. You initially said you had trouble with Windows 2008/7 locking up, but later say that you decided to go with Microsoft Home Media Server instead. So you got it past the freezing problems? If so, what did you change?

12. Jamie45

Jamie45 MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2008
    hi tqhoang,

noticed you where also having freezing issue with WHS, managed to fix that using the hdama chipset driver, pm me if you need it, would post it here but need 20 posts to add links. :rolleyes:

the prob im having is trying to activate whs lol, so if you have any idea how to add slp to the bios let me know, it would be much appreciated.

13. illingworth22

illingworth22 MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2010
    Could someone please post easy step by step instructions on how to flash the bios on this computer? I too purchased this computer from Charles Computers and as yet, 6 weeks later, I have not managed to get it up and running :(
    I know it only cost me £30 but I would like to try to get it to the point where I can install Win7, Server 2003, WHS 2003 and WHS Vail!
    P.S. I have never flashed a computers bios in my $** years of messing with a computer!