upgrade key on clean install (pre and post install workaround)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by WinFLP, Aug 3, 2010.

1. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    #1 WinFLP, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  2. angelwolf71885

angelwolf71885 MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2009
    what about installing a version below your upgrade key ie starter and then using your upgrade key with anytime upgrade?

3. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    The current version must be activated before you can use Anytime Upgrade.

4. daniel.soderstrom

daniel.soderstrom MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2010
    what media?

should an upgrade-media be used for this guide or a normal oem image?

Cheers

5. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Doesn't matter! I updated the guide to reflect this.

6. daniel.soderstrom

Aug 10, 2010
    Excellent thread. Now I can finally fix my girlfriends win 7 computer which is an absolute mess. (upgraded win 7 without any remaining discs).

thanks a bunch!

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    And why not to use OEM SLP key & have all these extra steps?

sebus

8. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Several reasons:
    1) Wanting to use a legitimate purchased upgrade key. For example a copy purchased from student discount program, or trying to repair a customer's PC (bad news trying to install pirated software on a customer's PC). My PC shipped with a copy of Vista Home premium, SP0 with all sorts of OEM preloaded junk. I purchased a Windws 7 Professional upgrade key. I always do a clean install instead of an inplace upgrade. I'm meeting the licence qualifications of the upgrade (I have a vista licence) but I don't want to go through the hassle of installing an OS just to scrap it in the upgrade. Unlike previous versions where you could just insert the disc of a previous version as proof, I want the closest equivalent.

2) Educational reasons some people are interested in how the sytem works. I'm thoroughly intrigued to learn how the activation system works rather than leave it a mysterious black box. This is particularly useful when you're trying to help people having problems using products they paid for.

3) Unless your system came preinstalled with Win7 + SLIC 2.1 + cert you have to get involved in BIOS modding or using a loader which involves extra steps. I was interested in presenting a method that users can use their legitimately purchased key if they wish to do a clean install (either through preference or because they had a hard drive failure)

9. daniel.soderstrom

Aug 10, 2010
    I followed the guide and managed to do a clean install with an upgrade key. I was between a rock and a hard place with no discs and the difficulties of trying to recover without knowing the OS-language (german).

A clean install was much easier - no language skills needed really ;)

once again many thanks - computer works as a charm now.

10. FrozenC0re

FrozenC0re MDL Novice

Dec 22, 2012
    I'm about to do this same thing with an upgrade key, can anyone tell me if this still works, or point me in the direction of a method that does?

11. Unethrope

Unethrope MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2013
    This still works. Sweet post; thank you so much.

12. Flyboyrls

Flyboyrls MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2014
    #12 Flyboyrls, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    Hey Guys, a newbie here. Just wondering if this workaround still works for Win 7? I have a reinstall disk and an Anytime Upgrade key and would like to do a clean install of Win 7 Home Professional if possible.

Update: I have tried both methods and neither one seems to work any longer. Suggestions?