21H2 bug while dragging window around? (delayed movement)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by freiwald, Nov 21, 2021.

1. freiwald

freiwald MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2015
  2. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Are you moving the cpu-z window clockwise or anticlockwise? That might be it..

For real now, it's not the focus of the developer to satisfy your OCD. Can't you consume the information presented unless it spins around your display?
    CPU-Z is a monitoring tool that gets your cpu status at a conservative rate (~ 125 - 250ms), and the window presenting this information runs even slower at fixed timings.
    It does nothing special to improve compatibility with high display refresh rates and high input pooling rates.
    Window drawing is left at the mercy of the OS. And the OS sucks. Has been sucking since y2k when real 2d acceleration was killed.
    If what drives your display is onboard graphics, the matter is even worse. Onboard graphics barely keep up with high refresh rates.
    Add theme transparency, window animations, window shadows, and snap windows into the mix (stuff that has seen changes with 21H2), and what you get is.. what you get.
    It's just one program using basic gui - just ignore it, it's not a sign that 21H2 performs worse - on the contrary: the windows ui is more "fluid" than previous versions.

I do have a question: if you have edge open at the same time playing a youtube video, does it make it better or worse?
    'Cause ChrEdge cheats setting a system timer resolution of 1ms. Firefox is much more conservative setting it at 5ms for example.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ExtremeGrief

ExtremeGrief MDL Addicted

Jun 2, 2020
    Problem present on Server 2022 too.

4. freiwald

Jul 27, 2015
    #4 freiwald, Nov 21, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    (OP)
    thank you, that is all i wanted to know, since i have never seen "problem" myself.
    some people reported it in windows 10 version 2004 with gpu z and office programs, but this was apparently fixed back then, so i was confused why it's happening now. maybe it has something to do with the 144hz bug which they fixed in the 2004 version.
    and of course the fact that the nvidia control panel (DCH) did it too once, kinda scared me. i can't reproduce it with the the nvidia control panel, but still, im kinda scared that at one point, it may happen to more and more programs.
    it also confused me that some people said, that it's not happening on their 21H2 system. i tried it with so many versions and different pc's/laptops.

about your question: i just tried it and i didn't noticed any difference.

as long as it doesn't happen on other programs im totally fine with this. i just thought maybe i can fix it somehow. i know stupid.

while we are at it, also thanks for toggledefender :)

5. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    I can reproduce this on LTSC 2021 with CPU-Z. I don't notice this on any other program I have. My mouse is a Corsair Harpoon RGB at 1000Hz, I'm using a RX 580, and a 4K@60Hz screen over HDMI (RGB 4:4:4 no HDR).

I've seen this on Windows 11 as well with Notepad++, but I can't seem to reproduce that on LTSC 2021 (could be 11-specific or a different Notepad++ version).

6. vrjoe

vrjoe MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2010
    I bet this is high mouse polling rate ( 1k Hz or more ) related
    reduce mouse polling rate to 500 or even 250 and the problem will disappear

7. freiwald

Jul 27, 2015
    thank you for your post. :)
    notepad++ also doesn't make any problems for me on windows 10, just tried it with the latest version. must be a windows 11 problem then.

exactly, like i wrote in the first post, it will go away if you lower it, but sadly that is not a fix.
    either way, after the post from BAU; i ignore this bug now, since it's just happening on one program and there is probably no way to fix it anyway without an upcoming windows update.

8. SSJ Goddo

SSJ Goddo MDL Novice

May 31, 2014
    did you find a solution? i have the exact same problem on all 3 of my computers. 99.99% of the programs are fine but some are laggy like this. lowering the polling rate solves it but i'm not gonna reduce it just for few annoying buggy apps.
    both ltsc and regular pro has the same problem but windows 11 22h2 is fine. can anyone find the related differences between win10 22h2 and win11 22h2 and apply it to win10? seems like a windows bug since 11 is fine.