2 small utilities for Spoon Studio

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by a_catalin, May 20, 2011.

1. a_catalin

a_catalin MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    #1 a_catalin, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  2. johnmcloud

johnmcloud MDL Junior Member

Jul 10, 2011
    For the First:
    Yes, it work. But i don't understand what file you rename to .dat. If is the compiled/build file like thinapp style not work, the linked file say "unable to find test.exe". It search the extension, so it not find ( in my case is test.dat )
    If you can you need to improove this, like
    Test.dat ---> Big file created from SpoonStudio, simply renamed from .exe
    Test.exe ---> The shotcut created whit ExeBuilder, reference to Test.dat

For the second: I use @APPDATA@\Sandbox when i build file, it create sandbox in the same directory of the .exe, everywhere.

Thanks for answer.
    John

3. johnmcloud

Jul 10, 2011
    Working Great! Thanks, now Spoon Studio has nothing to envy ThinApp

Satisfy my curiosity. Why use the file .msi?
    If is only for the file association is not it better to use a .reg file which adds / removes the association?

For example I can use AutoIt or CMD or FileTypeMan.

4. a_catalin

a_catalin MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    The msi registers extensions better than a reg file (because you have to modify the reg file when you want to install the application in a different folder).
    It is used also to copy the main file to Program Files folder and to create shortcuts + it's easy to uninstall + it's smaller in size than the application itself (about 2 times usually) so it's easier to deploy.
    And, since it's "built" in Spoon Studio, it's easy to create.
    Of course, it's not a 100% efficient way - other ways can be found (like Inno or AutoIT for instance). But with third party programs you have to work hard to make a good installer.

I guess when you want something simple you can use the virtualized application directly without an installer.

5. a_catalin

a_catalin MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Sorry for the double post.
    I have made some small improvements to remset and updated the first post...

6. johnmcloud

Jul 10, 2011
    Hi a_catalin,
    I have some trouble with Office 2010 Professional Plus x86 and Spoon Studio. I have create a ISO with two languages ( Language Pack ) and the slipstream SP1. I have a MAK key for Office, i'll do the phone activation.
    The virtual Studio is a Windows 7 x64 SP1 in VirtualBox. My real PC is a Windows 7 x64 SP1.
    The problem is:

1) The portable version start only on Windows 7 x64 SP1 (VirtualBox) with Office INSTALLED!
    So:
    Office is Installed - Portable Version - Windows VirtualBox --> Application Start
    Office ISN'T Installed - Portable Version - Windows VirtualBox --> Application don't start
    Office ISN'T Installed - Portable Version - Real Windows --> Application don't start
    The error is:
    "Microsoft Office: impossible to verify the license. The software will be close"

2) I can't use the default template of Spoon studio, don't recognise the DvD. I Don't know why...
    3) I'll try to uncheck the "Quick Snapshot" in Spoon but nothing changes

Can you explain your procedure for the portable version of Office?
    Thanks.

7. a_catalin

a_catalin MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
  8. johnmcloud

Jul 10, 2011
    Hi catalin, it is absurd that a program that prides itself virtualize Office 2010 is based on an outside activity, and against the principles of portable applications.

The method works, it is true, but Spoon has never published a guide that explains exactly what to do.

The site says:
    Virtual Application Studio 2011 includes support for virtualizing 64-bit applications and
    the .NET 4.0 Framework, as well as dozens of new application templates including
    Microsoft Office 2010, Internet Explorer 6, 7, 8, and 9, Mozilla Firefox...

So that means the program should have no problem, but in addition to activation, excel does't start (xellex.dll not found), Publisher don 't have templates (ptxt9.dll not found), InfoPath Filler &
    Designer does't start and no error appears.
    Clearly the .dll are included in the project
    So four fundamental programs of the suite have problems?

Unfortunately there is no support forum, it seems that the world we are interested Spoon just you and me:)

Anyway I sent an email to the support for a comprehensive procedure for the installation of Office 2010.

Best Regards,
    John

9. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    I am also interested!
    That makes 3

sebus

10. a_catalin

a_catalin MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    #11 a_catalin, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
    (OP)
    Well, I don't like it either, but:
    1. They don't say specifically that Spoon Studio can be used to make portable applications, like those who make Thinapp don't say it either; but we use them to make portable applications anyway :rolleyes:
    2. The problem with the license/activation is 100% Microsoft's fault (but you can understand why they implemented it: because of the piracy).
    When you activate Office 2010 virtualized on a computer and you go with that Office on another computer you have to activate it again...
    No virtualization program managed to solve this problem and I don't think it will solve it 100% in the future...

PS: I sent to each of you a PM...

11. johnmcloud

Jul 10, 2011
    Catalin,
    Thanks for msi. There are my first consideration about your pm:

1) There are new type of template for Office 2010, and 3 different languages. They work different of the previus version.
    They import the INSTALLED version of Office from the HOST in a virtual way.
    Works? Not for me. Don't find the installed version of Office on host machine ( maybe is my language is different? )

2) Snapshotting is more slowly on W7 and seems working different, maybe more accuracy?

3) Sometimes seems application "freeze". But it was also in the previous version

4) I'll test it with Office Professional Plus ( Ony Excel for test .dll error ), same method of "Capture" ecc.., i don't find different option.

And the result is:
    a) LICENSE: Application don't start
    b) DLL ERROR: xellex.dll

Other Option:
    Optimize startup:yes ( works for all Office product )
    Compress:no
    Sandbox: same directory
    Delete sandbox shotdown:no

So nothing new, I'd like to see how the template works.

12. a_catalin

a_catalin MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Have you received a reply from Spoon Studio support...?

13. johnmcloud

Jul 10, 2011
    They sent me an email saying that they have opened a JIRA Account (???)
    I don't know what is it, I specified on the form of the site to have an evaluation version of Spoon

The site is:
    https:// support.spoon.net ( without space )

The details of issues is:
    Type: Bug
    Priority: 2-Must Fix
    Resolution: Unresolved
    Affects Version/s: None
    Fix Version/s: None
    Component/s: None
    Security Level: Default Security Level
    Labels: None

Assignee: Robert Anderson.
    Reporter: johnmcloud

Dates
    Created:August 28 - 6:00 PM

14. a_catalin

a_catalin MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, that's their support...
    Let's hope that they will solve this problem.

15. johnmcloud

Jul 10, 2011
    #16 johnmcloud, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
    support.spoon.net/browse/INBX-12265?focusedCommentId=126886&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-126886

Catalin,
    the status now is "Resolved", but they have not solved anything o_O

This is the answer:
    But they read my message? I have repeated it again:

16. johnmcloud

Jul 10, 2011
    One Problem SOLVED!

Catalin,
    i have resolved the first problem, the .dll error:

Office x64 Virtualized DON'WORK on Windows 7 x64!
    Office x86 Virtualized DON'WORK on Windows 7 x64!

The only working TEST BUILD is Windows XP SP3 x86 and OFFICE x86

Now for the second problem:
    I'll test to virtualize separately the licence and set an entry point to the .exe that verify the licence ( Spoon doesn't did it )

And, The Spoon support is useless....

17. a_catalin

a_catalin MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    They said that "Office x86 Virtualized DON'WORK on Windows 7 x64!"? Strange, maybe only with Spoon Studio, because with Thinapp works...

18. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    That would be the most idiotic to have one of the most popular apps (no matter if one likes it or not) on most popular OS (just about all new machines come with x64 Win7) NOT working

sebus

19. johnmcloud

Jul 10, 2011
    Guys,
    The Virtualized Office works in Windows 7 x64/86 (works...with the license error) but you need to capture in a Windows XP SP3 x86.
    The capture on Windows XP generates only the license error, while the catch on Windows 7 also generates errors .dll (see post above)
    You can "use" the capture from Windows Xp --> Windows 7

This are all my test, I'm still waiting for a serious response from the spoon support, I opened a new issue.
    I do not want him to lose time, but do not want to miss it either.

If you can not virtualize completely Office 2010 say so clearly, and take away the misleading advertising from the website:

Virtual Application Studio 2011 includes support for virtualizing 64-bit applications and
    the .NET 4.0 Framework, as well as dozens of new application templates including
    Microsoft Office 2010, Internet Explorer 6, 7, 8, and 9, Mozilla Firefox...