2nd HDD not visable in windows XP

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by the bomb, Jan 5, 2009.

1. the bomb

the bomb MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2009
    My 2nd HDD is not visable in XP 'my computer' tab even though it can be seen in the BIOS and there are drivers instaled for it and it can be seen in device manager.

can anyone help me please?

thanks

2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #2 HMonk, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. the bomb

the bomb MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2009
    ah yes I didn't give much info but anyway you guessed right.

ok so ive initialized the drive but it still doesn't show up in 'My Computer' oh and it says ive wiped/lost anything that was on the drive :mad::mad::mad:

how can i resolve this?
    thanks

4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. the bomb

the bomb MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2009
    ok that software worked nicely and ive recoverd my data and formated the drive. All good now.

thanks for your help

6. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Outstanding

Great going Bomb!

Tuck that little Find and Mount prog away in your memory banks. It has pulled my bacon out of the fire twice and it's nice to know that there is a freebie that is so effective.

Glad to help.

Monk

7. spidymasta

spidymasta MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2009
    I had this problem when i bought a new hard drive too. What i did to solve the problem was pop in my windows instillation disk and partition the drive and format it then exit the set up and kaboom the drive shows up in windows.

8. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Format/Partition

If the BIOS reports a drive (with or without correct capacity), Disk Manager (not Explorer/My Computer) will always report it (with or without correct capacity). Via Disk Manager you can then format/partition the disk. This simple process obviates the need to resort to aborted reinstalls - which to me, invites potential problems if one falls asleep at the wheel, or worse yet, if one selects the wrong drive/partition to initialize. Disk Manager clearly labels the unmounted drive/partition and usually autostarts a dialog with an initialize request.

Once the drive is properly mounted, capacity issues, if they exist, are addressed by separate means.

Monk

9. Carl

Carl MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2008
    I miss Fdisk, it was so simple.

10. pleum88

pleum88 MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2008
    Yeahh :) I think so...

11. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    DOS, where are you?

I still keep DOS utilities on a floppy; comes in handy now and then.

Imagine MyDigital if DOS was still around. "When I enter 'type' to read a *.txt file, the contents scrolls by non-stop and I cannot read it; how can I read the file?" |MORE

Monk