2way sync for google calendar to outlook

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by Ithunzi, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Ithunzi

Ithunzi MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2012
    I´ve recently done a fresh install. After installing office 2010, I tried to install the simple 2way sync app from google, so I could sync my email and calendar to my android. As some of you might know, google discontinued the product as of 30 Jan 2013. You can´t activate any new devices.

So I am aware there are a few 3rd party apps (exe) available, but they are all paid versions. Does anyone know of any free alternatives? Any other alternatives would be appreciated. I really prefer outlook, all I want is a 2way sync for .pst to my android.

Thanks

2. JCLB

JCLB MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2009
    Hi, not easy to exchange data between MS and big G.
    I personally use GO Contact (free project "googlesyncmod" on SourceForge) for Contacts sync, it works in both directions but it's not advised to use both at the same time, except if you only handle very standard Vcard infos.

For mail I use IMAP4, syncing only headers. Outlook 2013 even supports Gmail drafts and recognizes them as drafts in outlook, enabling editing.
    You will just have to take care of "sent mails" folder, wich can be deactivated as Gmail automatically detect sent emails by the stmp.gmail.com so no need to tell outlook to move sent mail to an imap folder.

Lastly, for calendar, I work only on google site but I can see (but not edit) my calendar in outlook thanks to .ICS link on google calendar's page.

Please note that Outlook 2013 is not that good in handling IMAP protocol and often shows sync errors but it still works, errors are usually due to too many simultaneous connections.

For your information, Microsoft works on compiling with CardDav, Calldav and other open protocols in order to use them maybe in Windows blue ModernUI apps and eventually in an MS Office 2013 update.

Hope this will help you.

3. Ithunzi

Ithunzi MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2012
    Thanks for your reply JCLB. Although your advice could work for some, it´s still not a solution to my problem. I´m still a bit old school and prefer to use pop3 for now. It is however good to know that Microsoft is working on CardDav and Calldav to play nicer with other email clients.

Then after a week of digging I did find a respectful download link for the then Google Calendar Sync. After I checked the hash file and googled it - it seemed like the original. So I did manage to install it and I got my syncing working for time being. Since I can´t post the link - just google " phpnuke google calendar sync ". At the site look for the link under the image: click here to start the download.

I will see how it goes the next few days between my outlook and s3 and give some feedback.

Cheers.

4. Ithunzi

Ithunzi MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2012
    So after almost a week I can confirm that it´s still working for me. I´m able to add new events or edit them from both outlook and my android and with no errors so far. I´m not sure exactly what was big G´s motive for discontinuing the product, but I´m sure time will tell...

Please feel free to post your thoughts.

Cheers.

5. bmejborn

bmejborn MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2012
    I can confirm this still works as of 20th Aug 2013. :) Thank you!