3 program files folders why and how to delete the proper one???

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by christian666, Jul 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christian666

christian666 MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Hi to everyone out there,

I have 3 program files folder:

program files (x86)
    program files (hidden)
    program files (not hidden)

i know that i need the x86 but i dont know why i have the hidden program folder,

I recently re-installed W7U

Can some one please help me out understand this weird situation?

If i dont need one of the program files folder I would like to delete it but i dont know----how and which to delete.

thank you for your help

2. 60cent

60cent MDL Senior Member

May 31, 2011
    Normally you should have;

Program Files
    Program Files(x86)

You might also want to run "chkdisk" and do a defrag of your machine....be prepared,as these operations will likely take some time on your computer.

The multiple folders is not however a problem; they serve different purposes. "Program files" holds 64 bit programs. "Program Files (x86)" holds 32 bit programs. "Program data" holds, uh, data for the programs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. christian666

Feb 24, 2010
    yes i know that program files for is the one that run so therefor it should be there and that the program files x86 is for the 32 bit

4. christian666

Feb 24, 2010
    there is some content in those, some folders. like:
    adobe ati hp micrsoft micrsoft help redi 1199..... slysoft tem

5. christian666

Feb 24, 2010
    this is the first time that i have notice it there since I have made the same reinstalllaing before using the same file source(hardrive), but i only have change something thought this time which was to, expanded my disk0(reserve for system) to disk1 , i was able to do this during re installing my w7u

6. christian666

Feb 24, 2010
  7. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
    You confirm in your post thats the Sha and Md5 matches with original.

I think you get some old traces of your previous installation.

You know when you install W7, the partition or not are only quick formated and sometimes (it's can appear if you don't resize the previous partition ans just format them) files are still there.

You should re install W7 and during the installation process make sure you delete and format all previous active partition and if needed create again, it should work.

If you use some extra tool like partition wizard boot cd or other tool you can run it to create partition, format, delete and erase before insert the W7 Dvd, if you create a Primary and active partition with tools you don't have the hidden100 mo partition
    http://www.mydigitallife.net/how-to...m-been-created-during-windows-7-installation/

hope it's help

windsman.

8. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    #8 FreeStyler, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
    Like acrsn already mentioned in #2 christian666 should have these folders, eg:

/Program Files/
    /Program Files (x86)/
    /ProgramData/

Honestly i think christian666 simply is mistaken, all 3 above directories are unique and required, period!

/Program Files/ (All 64-bit applications are installed here)
    /Program Files (x86)/ (All 32-bit applications are installed here)
    /ProgramData/ (all common progam settings, configuration etc are stored here)