3 ways to remove Windows Backup App

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Alpha9000, Mar 14, 2024.

1. Alpha9000

Alpha9000 MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2023
    Hello tech frens! This is my first thread so go easy on me. I'm pretty sure I have found a few ways to get rid of this bloat app.

The first method is removing the app manually, which I assume is leaving behind reg entries but removes the icon from start and the program. If you go to the directory below and type WindowsBackup in the search box. Delete the 5 files and reboot and you should be good to go.

Code:
    C:\Windows\SystemApps\MicrosoftWindows.Client.CBS_cw5n1h2txyewy

The second method is through Remove-WindowsPackage in PowerShell. The issue with this method is that you have to look up the version of the current local package found on your system. Because this app changes versions every month or so, you have to replace the version number in this code to your current version number after the 2 tildes ~~ in the code. 10.0.19041.4123 is the current version for WIN10 22H2 for the date of this post. But again, depending on your build version you might have a different version of the app. So replace the version number in the code below. The first command is to look up the package.

Code:
    dism /online /get-packages
    Code:
    Remove-WindowsPackage -Online -PackageName “Microsoft-Windows-UserExperience-Desktop-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.19041.4123”
    The third method came from code I actually used to remove the SecHealthUI app dynamically. After investigating the code, I figured out that I just needed the name of the package to remove the program dynamically without having to look up the current version number in method two. When searching through DISM the package name came up as "WindowsUserExperience" but that isn't the name of the local package that gets installed for some odd reason. The name of the package locally that gets installed is "ClientCbs". It has a few different little apps in it like snipping tool and I think two others. This is why I mentioned the manual method just incase the other apps in this package is something that you might use. But personally I use third party apps for snipping and the other two I just don't use. Once I found the name of the package, I just switched the code from the "SecHealthUI" to "ClientCbs" and ran it. Turns out. It removes the whole package dynamically regardless of version.

Code:
        $remove_appx = @("Client.CBS"); $provisioned = get-appxprovisionedpackage -online; $appxpackage = get-appxpackage -allusers; $eol = @()
        $store = 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore'
        $users = @('S-1-5-18'); if (test-path $store) {$users += $((dir $store -ea 0 |where {$_ -like '*S-1-5-21*'}).PSChildName)}
        foreach ($choice in $remove_appx) { if ('' -eq $choice.Trim()) {continue}
          foreach ($appx in $($provisioned |where {$_.PackageName -like "*$choice*"})) {
            $next = !1; foreach ($no in $skip) {if ($appx.PackageName -like "*$no*") {$next = !0}} ; if ($next) {continue}
            $PackageName = $appx.PackageName; $PackageFamilyName = ($appxpackage |where {$_.Name -eq $appx.DisplayName}).PackageFamilyName
            ni "$store\Deprovisioned\$PackageFamilyName" -force >''; $PackageFamilyName
            foreach ($sid in $users) {ni "$store\EndOfLife\$sid\$PackageName" -force >''} ; $eol += $PackageName
            dism /online /set-nonremovableapppolicy /packagefamily:$PackageFamilyName /nonremovable:0 >''
            remove-appxprovisionedpackage -packagename $PackageName -online -allusers >''
          }
          foreach ($appx in $($appxpackage |where {$_.PackageFullName -like "*$choice*"})) {
            $next = !1; foreach ($no in $skip) {if ($appx.PackageFullName -like "*$no*") {$next = !0}} ; if ($next) {continue}
            $PackageFullName = $appx.PackageFullName;
            ni "$store\Deprovisioned\$appx.PackageFamilyName" -force >''; $PackageFullName
            foreach ($sid in $users) {ni "$store\EndOfLife\$sid\$PackageFullName" -force >''} ; $eol += $PackageFullName
            dism /online /set-nonremovableapppolicy /packagefamily:$PackageFamilyName /nonremovable:0 >''
            remove-appxpackage -package $PackageFullName -allusers >''
          }
        }

Anyway, One of these I hope works in Windows 11 as well. I have not tested it yet in Windows 11 but it works in the latest version of Windows 10 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4123

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    @Alpha9000
    You have forgotten one very important thing.
    Namely, explain, why its removal is necessary? What is the reason for removal?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dude Guyman

Dude Guyman MDL Senior Member

Jun 20, 2017
    #3 Dude Guyman, Mar 14, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
    It should be noted this removes the entire "Feature Experience Pack". I don't care because there is nothing but bloat in it for me, I don't use anything it adds (currently anyway)...but you may, so research that first! As to why I/you would want to do this...because I hate extra stuff, shortcuts, and services that I do not use or install myself! I even HATE the new "System" text they've splattered all over the start menu. Drives me nuts! It makes it so cluttered and hard to find things. I navigate Windows almost by muscle memory at this point, so adding all this extra crap is like going in a blind persons house and rearranging the furniture! :mad:

The following is the shortest, most simple way I've seen. Shared with me by someone else (I forget, sorry) after I "learned" and shared a more convoluted, version specific way.

1. In admin Powershell:
    Code:
    Get-WindowsPackage -Online -PackageName *UserExperience* | Remove-WindowsPackage -Online
    2. Type "Y" to reboot.
    3. Done!

4. Alpha9000

Alpha9000 MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2023
    Ah yes, Good point. Mostly to optimize my operating system as I'm currently working on an app for gaming specifically. So any bloat can go.

I will make sure to make this a priority on my posts going forward.

5. Alpha9000

Alpha9000 MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2023
    Yo! Great find! I was actually trying to figure out a way to do this with "Get-WindowsPackage" but couldn't figure out how to get the *UserExperience* code right. Now that I'm looking at it, it's so simple that I'm feeling pretty dumb.. This is why I love tech forums though, someone always has a better mouse trap!

Thanks!

Yeah, the feature pack is lame so this code will be a solid addition to my project. Also, DISM++ has a feature to remove Provisioned AppX which is another way to remove it for the record.