32 bit Windows 7 Ultimate OEM product key & Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Retail

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by The Outbreak, Oct 28, 2011.

1. The Outbreak

The Outbreak MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2010
    Will a 32 bit OEM Windows 7 Ultimate product key work on a 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate retail?

2. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    The key will work on 32 or 64 bit version of windows.

3. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    I have a couple of installations from "retail" discs , that have activated just fine with an OEM key and cert , My machines have modded bios though .but I was allways under the impression that the only difference between OEM and Retail discs was the activation method.
    last year I biult a PC for a friend and he purchased the full version of windows 7 home premium. I installed it for him using the Key .and made copies (iso) from both discs ,I have installed them using OEM key/cert On my own PCs.

4. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    Is it really necessary to enter a product key? Or is it just personal choice? I have an actual Windows 7 ultimate x64 disc that one of my friends bought as part of a bundle of PC parts to make a computer,it came with a product key,but instead of putting it in,i activated with Daz loader,also,the op didn't mention if their bios was modded or not??:confused: very confusing:D

5. The Outbreak

The Outbreak MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2010
    Well, I built my own PC. It isn't an Acer, Dell, HP, etc. Here is what I have inside: An Apollo NZXT Mid Tower case with a side window, an AMD AM3 1100T Phenom 2 x6 Thuban 3.3 GHz CPU Black Edition, an OCZ 600 watt PSU StealthXstream, 1 TB Seagate internal 3.5 inch Hard Drive, an HIS 4670 ATI Radeon HD PCIe x16 2.0 1 GB GDDR something video graphics card, 2 2gig sticks of Corsair RAM 1333 MHz DDR3 and 2 2gig sticks of Mushkin Silverline RAM 1333 MHz DDR3 , an LG Super Multi Blu-Ray Burner and a Samsung DVD/CD Burner and 3 case fans which are 120x120x25 each one. I have a Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit oem that I bought from newegg when Windows 7 first came out. I recently had downloaded a 64 bit retail Windows 7 Ultimate from digitalriver and it has the SP1 integrated. I was just hoping to use the 32 bit oem product key that I bought with this 64 bit retail to save money and put it to use instead of buying a retail which is like 240$. I figure why buy a new one when I can just use what I already have? I think it'll work. i mean, aren't they the same regardless? The difference is support or whatever from Microsoft, right? I don't know. then again, I don't want to blacklist my own key even though it is legit. I just wanted someone to help me out with advice or something because I can't really afford to buy another and trilogy is ok but, it won't last...I have 2 more rearms and that's it. :sad3: Sorry to trouble you all about this question but, I hear different things about this so I just want to know the truth from people that are very knowledgeable in these things and this place is where I'll find that information. I don't want to call Microsoft and ask them personally...I don't want to get in any trouble with them. They most likely will think otherwise when that is not the case. I also have no idea what the Cert and SLIC is and I have no idea what they are and I'm lost on those things and I have no idea how or where to find them. :(

6. The Outbreak

The Outbreak MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2010
    That's ok. Cool. Thanks man for your help and advice. :)

7. The Outbreak

The Outbreak MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2010
    You know what? i just realized something here that I had used this oem Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit product key on an earlier installation on a another computer I had built but, I had uninstalled it and wiped it out of that hard drive. That hard drive is unformatted. I haven't used this Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit oem either since those days and it's been a while...over a year. Is it still possible that I am able to use it on this 64 bit retail version of Windows 7 Ultimate? They product key is legit and Microsoft shouldn't get crazy with me about. I still think they're the same, but I don't know, I hear once it is used on one machine, it stays with that machine 4 ever...even if it has been uninstalled and wiped clean from the hard drive that it was installed on which I am not using. I am using a different hard drive. The other machine that it was installed on had a Biostar motherboard, 2 sticks of RAM at 2 gigs each, a 900 watt PSU, an ATI HD Radeon 4670 video card XFX, 1 TB Seagate Hard drive(I have 2 of these hard drives and I only used 1 for this oem. The one I am using now is not the same one...my guess is a different hard drive serial number but the same model), Lite-On blu ray burner and DVD/CD Samsung burner, an AMD AM3 3.4 GHz Black Edition CPU Phenom 2 x4. All of my computers I have built from the ground up. I have one Toshiba laptop and it's an 18.4 inch HD monster, that thing is huge man...that's why I bought it. The computer now that I want to use this key on has different stuff like I stated earlier and it has a Gigabyte motherboard - the GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3. Damn, I made this more problematic than ever. Sorry, I forgot about that I had used different parts for this oem. I completely overlooked this. I'm really sorry.

8. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    My understanding is Microsoft only keeps the activation for 120 days. So as long as it is only on 1 machine it will always work. If you would try it within the 120 days on another machine is when you would run into problems. Anyone????

9. The Outbreak

The Outbreak MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2010
    Cool, Thanks peeps. I had no idea that it would be 120 days on the original computer. I can tell you that it has been way more than 120 days that the oem has been in there but, also, after those 120 days, I have removed it and never used it since. I'll try what you guys say and hope for a miracle. I'll also do the phone activation if all else fails and just keep it limited in details. Thanks again for the support.

10. The Outbreak

The Outbreak MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2010
    Success!

Yay!! It worked without a hitch like you said! I just typed in the key and it activated after a few minutes, well, more like 2 minutes...or less really. Wow. Thank you so much again. :worthy: :D:groupwave: :headbang: :mml: :yeah: :Egypt: :party_time:

Again WOW...and I thought I would have to whore myself to all the sexy, single women out there to make a few hundred bucks to buy a new copy. Deuce Bigalo eat your heart out, the Spanish Gigalo is here, baby. haha...thats funny...Woohoo! :biggrin:

11. 4hunter4

4hunter4 MDL Novice

May 25, 2010
    Home Built PC

Use DAZ loader - no problems