3rd party themes, icons, and similar changes?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MonarchX, Dec 16, 2014.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I cannot figure how to replace default icons in Windows 8.1. I have a single .bmp file that contains many icons, but I have no idea how to apply it to replace all the default icons.

I know I will need UxStyles or similar 3rd party theme patcher, but beyond that I have no idea how to apply 3rd party icons and themes.

I would also love to know where I can get 3rd party themes that replace icons and bring major changes to the way Windows looks without having to adjust system files. I am NOT talking about Microsoft themes, none of which replace icons and most just bring some minor changes in addition to many new wallpapers. So far Deviant Art is the only location I could find...

2. Imkruzen

Imkruzen MDL Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Have a peek here. Maybe you'll some thang.

cleodesktop DoT com

3. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I have this nice nVidia desktop theme that I mostly managed to apply, but to properly install it I need 7TSP, which is not working (not detecting 7z and zip files). So I have to install the theme manually. I got most of it working, but I cannot figure out how to install custom icons. There is a folder with a ton of .ICO files, but how do I apply them all to my system?

4. Imkruzen

Imkruzen MDL Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Did you pick up the theme here?

winempyrean.net/category/windows-8-1-tutorials/

I don't mess with this kinda stuff, from experience.

5. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    OK, but I cannot get 7TSP to work. It does not detect any .zip, .7z, or .7tsp files, which is a vital function, without which its use is worthless, and without working 7TSP, manual theme-ing is not possible...

7. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Bump! It is VITAL to get 7TSP to work on this machine! I tried running as Administrator and installed Resource Hacked too, but that did not help... I badly need it working. I also tried both installable and portable versions. Yet again, neither detect zip, 7z, or 7tsp files. It doesn't detect any files at all actually, just folders!

8. Imkruzen

Imkruzen MDL Member

Jan 9, 2011
    If your your account user name includes characters, it might be the cause of your problem. Try opening a new account and see if the issue persists.

If you right click on the file you're trying to open, is 7z the default "open with"?

I use WinRAR, which provides complete support for RAR and ZIP archives and is able to unpack CAB, ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, ACE, UUE, BZ2, JAR, ISO, 7Z, XZ, Z archives.

9. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Nope, no special characters. Its just "Enthusiasmo" without the " ". I also use the latest WinRAR 5.20 Beta 4 x64. I can surely UNPACK those theme packages, but I cannot manually install what is inside them because 7TSP is supposed to do that on its own.

10. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    As already said try latest 7z alpha version, if it cannot unpack, no-one can help you. Incase it's compiled EXE and not any SFX it will become complcated :cool2:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Imkruzen

Imkruzen MDL Member

Jan 9, 2011
    I played around a bit today with some theme patchers, style patchers and a theme installer.
    Nothing but problems, The patchers seemed to go through the process, but failed to patch or install properly. Went into the Admin account and the patchers worked, the installer didn't. Added a theme pkg to the themes folder and that didn't work properly either. The downloaded file properties were showing blocked, so I fix that, then changed the ownership of the files and same issues. I also came across windows glass, which is pretty, but that wasn't worth the effort, same issues encountered. Wouldn't execute the file.

It's just eye candy and has no real value to the operating system and if anything it could hamper it. I did try and to no avail.
    After a couple of hrs I gave up. Nothing should be this difficult if it's any good. Can't give you any conclusion from the experiment, other than, it's not working for me either.
    Sorry I can't give you any further advice or solution. BUT, if you find out what is wrong, please share, I'd like to know what the cause is.

12. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Latest WinRAR is 5.20 (Stable), latest 7-Zip is 9.35 (beta).