How to extend my C primary Drive??

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by JoomlaHackers.Net, Jan 11, 2009.

1. JoomlaHackers.Net

JoomlaHackers.Net MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2009
    Hello guys..

Im in a deep problem now. :mad:

I have 250 GB HDD,and 4 drives.
    The stupid who assembled my PC,has assigned just 50 GB to C drive and now only 2 GB is left..

I have the complete 180 GB Free in other drives now. I just want to make my C drive to 150 GB.
    So i want to extend it to 150 GB now.
    Plz help..
    :confused::confused:

2. varunb

varunb MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    It's easier to place large files on the additional partitions. Maybe combine the remaining partitions if more than one into a single large partition and store your large files there.
    There are partition (powerquest/paragon, etc) tools that allow you to expand current partitions, but if you choose that method you MUST backup your entire harddrive before attampting it...just in case.
    Another method is to get a new larger harddrive and use an imaging program like acronis to copy your current partition into a larger one on the new drive....just 2 cents worth.

4. JoomlaHackers.Net

Jan 11, 2009
    Can you plz send me a direct download link ??
    My ISP doesnt support Torrents..

5. JoomlaHackers.Net

Jan 11, 2009
    Im not bothered about storing larger files or whatever..
    Im a Web Developer and i receive 1000s of mails each day,which gets stored in Microsoft Outlook and MS OUTLOOK is itself on C drive..
    All the important apps,always gets auto installed in C drive also..
    Im pissed.
    Some one get me a solution...

6. JoomlaHackers.Net

Jan 11, 2009
    Can i extend my Primary C Drive with this tool ??

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Well to start with move MY documents to another partition and also change where Microsoft Outlook saves its files also and move them i would never store any information or documents on c:Drive. Acronis diskdirector will resize your c: partition without loss of data e.c.t if your not really comfortable get a friend who has used disk director to do it for you. personaly your c: drive is large enough, for normal software e.c.t as i said store data on another partition.

8. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    #10 2centsworth, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
    Purchase a new larger harddrive with more than enough space for any future needs. Purchase Acronis workstation, use it to make a backup image then restore it to the new larger drive.

I'll warn you about utilities that resize the primary partition where your current OS is, backup your partition first just in case.

Purchase one of the hard drive transfer utilities, or most boxed hard drives come with a free drive copy tool.

If you'r looking for W4r3z torrents search for acronis workstation for starters. Everyone has their favorite utilities....and personally I would not trust torrents to be free of malware unless you know what you're doing.

Personal opinion: avoid active partition resizing utilities, while it does often seem to work ok, sometimes it does not. Just be certain you have it backed up before you proceed.

9. JoomlaHackers.Net

Jan 11, 2009
    Hmm, sounds bad..
    Well, is there any easy way,so that i can add the 60 GB unallocated space to the C primary drive ??

10. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #12 911medic, Jan 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
    What about using a gparted disk (LINUX) and formatting the rest of the drive...As in additional partition/...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. nucl34r

nucl34r MDL Novice

May 9, 2009
    I got it working... Get EASEUS partition manager and make free space between the C: drive and the other drive. Once that is done open up the windows drive manager and extend the C: drive A LITTLE BIT! If you use up all the space it doesn't seem to register and it stays the same size. This took me about 3 weeks to figure out >.<

12. JoomlaHackers.Net

Jan 11, 2009
    Nope..
    C drive never gives an option for EXTEND.
    Thats the pain :(

13. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #16 HMonk, May 9, 2009
    Last edited: May 9, 2009
    Clarity helps

Am I correct in assuming that you have one 250GB HDD divided into four partitions, and, adding up all of the free space in the other partitions, you have a total of 180GB free - yes?

Windows permits expanding to the right (but not the left) as long as there is free space to the left. It seems to me that the easiest thing to do - assuming other things you failed to mention - is to move all of the data from the partition to the left of the root and then expand the root into it.

For example, let's assume you have four partitions: C=50GB, D=100GB, E=50GB, and F=50GB. Move EVERYTHING from D to E, F, or both. Once D is empty, you are able to extend C into as much (or all) of D as you wish. You do not need any apps to do the job other than Windows. (You cannot extend C into E or F, i.e., the free space MUST be contiguous to the partition you are extending)

Monk

14. JoomlaHackers.Net

Jan 11, 2009
    I dont get it :(
    Can you plz explain buddy ??
    I said, I have C 30 GB or so and its going to be filled. I have more 100 GB free at D drive. I can make it unallocated space also.
    But I dont get it,how to add that unallocated space to that C drive.
    Just want the EXTEND option to work for C drive.
    THATS IT!!
    Possible ??

15. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    As monk said resize the D: drive i,e, make it say 50GB smaller then you can allocate the 50GB from the d: drive to extend C: by 50GB. you cannot use windows partition management on your c: drive i,e system you will need to use some of the utilities that have been mention on this thread. download acronis disk director you can use it for 30 days without having to register it this will do it and your files will still be intact.

16. striker

striker MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2008
  17. JoomlaHackers.Net

Jan 11, 2009
    Ok will try and post my reviews.