4x2Gb ram.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by robalm, Mar 31, 2011.

1. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Well I sit today with 2x2GB DDR3 memories.
    But my local computer store, have the same memories of an extremely low price, so I'm looking to buy 2x2GB for (so I get 8gb).
    To my question: I've always just run with two sticks, then there would be four sticks.
    Will I have problems (due to my overclock) Viz that i need to raise the various voltage values ​​to get the CPU stable with 4 sticks?

Appreciate the response from people with experience in this ONLY!

Thanks in advance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    #2 R29k, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
    Search if your specific board has an issue with it. Some have issues with all 4 slots filled.
    I think it's more prevalent in older systems that use an onboard Northbridge to address memory,
    not so much so on newer processors with the northbridge on chip.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I've also heard that example 775 system load Northbridge more with 4 sticks.
    But I'll google a bit on my motherboard + 4 Sticks.
    Thanks for the tips and info :)

4. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    If you're overclocking, anythings possible . If the RAM is listed on the motherboard mfg's QVL, and you're running 4 identical sticks and the QVL lists 4 slots populated as qualified, then it will work at stock frequencies, but overclocking is always a "won't know on your board with your ram till you try it). Anything besides QVL guidelines is a gamble with DDR3.

your Motherboard has a kewl feature to test RAM compatibility, try it out. If it doesn't pass bump the RAM voltage 1 step and try again. Repeat if necessary. You should always test for stability when overclocking.

Any Memory is A-OK!
    MemOK! quickly ensures memory boot compatibility. This remarkable memory rescue tool requires a mere push of a button to patch memory issues. MemOK! determines failsafe settings and dramatically improves your system boot success. Get your system up and running in no time

5. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Asus MemOK is just marketing. Asus are some of the biggest culprits of memory issues
    on boards. Boards with P45 chipsets had serious issues with filling all the slots, MemOK
    won't help you there.

6. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I'm no idiot, of course, I have the CPU stable to a state where it is in my mind 100% stable.
    I know I have a funtion called memory ok (will test it)
    Memory Voltage I can raise with a clear conscience, it is IMC I am worried about having to raise (the 4GB RAM to not be worth having to raise the IMC to a dangerous level)

7. 2centsworth

Feb 12, 2008
    #7 2centsworth, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011

really? "Culprits of memory issues"...you do realize DDR3 has to be fully qualified by the motherboard Mfg. to work reliably, their testing to qualify DDR3 modules on a motherboard is beyond the scope of a short reply.

You seem to imply QVL RAM has issues on Asus motherboards.

I've used Asus and Intel boards for more than 15 years at my shop, and your statement runs contrary to my experiences...maybe you see more systems a year than I do.

Some people find modules not on QVL will run, but often require lower densities or timings to run and stability is at best a crapshoot. 4GB might run fine but 8 GB of same modules might not. Thats why Vendors "fully qualify" RAM Modules at specific densities to work on particular boards/BIOS revisions so people get the best customer experience. Last thing Asus wants is another RMA board cause somebody couldn't get non-qualified RAM to work in it, even though the board's fine.....hence the addition of mem-ok to help the consumer who intentionally purchases RAM not qualified by the Vendor.

When overclocking anything is possible. You can raise the IMC voltage to try to achieve maxium overclock, but is it worth the possibility of burning it out????
    I should add you shouldn't need to bump up the IMC voltage for 4x2GB I would think.

8. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Seems fishy, what is the "shop" you have?
    I have overclocked many prossesorer for many years, So on that front is, I guarantee before you.
    So you say I do not need to raise the IMC voltage, what you based it on?

9. 2centsworth

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishey?

LOL, I have a EE and have worked in hardware since Apple computers, but I am sure you're far more qualified than I am to render my opinion above.

Nobody overclocks PC's except enthusiasts because they cannot afford a faster processor. Flame war over you win with your expertise and experience.

10. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    @2centsworth I'm going by the complaints you see all over the Asus Forums and other message boards.
    And also from friends who rush out and buy the latest and greatest when it gets released and run into problems.
    Asus high end board are usually good out the box but their standards have fallen in the mid range and low end.

11. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Maxing out your boards ram capacity can limit the potential overclock. I guess you need to ask yourself which is needed more , the higher overclock or the extra ram.

12. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    #12 robalm, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
    (OP)
    Now everything is done, 8gb in the computer! everything is stable tested and working fine (did not have to change any voltage)

Ps: maby i dont need 8gb but for 350kr (1 U.S. dollar = 6 Kr) is unbeatable