5 Letters Missing From Product Key Sticker - Any Hope?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by diagon, Oct 29, 2018.

1. diagon

diagon MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2018
    #1 diagon, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    I'm running the Ultimate PID Checker [1] on a list of keys generated via a php script [2] to try to recover a Win 7 Pro key from a Dell sticker that has 5 letters completely torn off, but is otherwise legible. (Some of the paper is ripped.) That's ~10M keys, and at the present rate it'll take 730 days.

(a) Is there any other approach that might offer hope?
    (b) Is it true, as claimed in [3], that only the numbers 2-9 and letters B C D F G H J K M P Q R T V W X Y are used in a product key?

----------
    (I can't post links so add a "." before "com" and remove the space after the first /)

[1] softpedia com/ get/System/System-Info/The-Ultimate-PID-Checker.shtml
    [2] gist.github com/ sebknzl/b71f4476ee7a33373ddf9906348d73d6
    [3] superuser com/ a/1036366

2. molisz

molisz MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2016
  3. diagon

diagon MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2018
    @molisz - you can tell I'm new at this, huh? :)

So, to follow your directions, do I need to have a Win-7 disk? Or is there some way I can use the recovery partition on this Dell Optiplex's hard drive?

(Right now what I've got is Win 7 running, but it's complaining about not being "genuine".)

4. molisz

molisz MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2016
    We all have to start somewhere. First check in SLIC Toolkit what version of slic table you have in your bios, it should be 2.1 and then well go from there.

5. diagon

diagon MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2018
    #5 diagon, Oct 29, 2018
    (OP)
    Ok, SLIC is v.2.1. I was able to backup the "Digital Product ID", but it says, "No OEM Certificate Found" (I did run as admin). What does that mean?

(Trying to input a pic, but ... I'll have to upload it somewhere else first, apparently.)

6. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
    it depends on what you want to do.
    if you feel that your win7 works correctly, then all you have to do is to activate win7 by following @molisz's instructions considering that your machine contains slic2.1 which should be the case if it was bought with win7 pre-installed on it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. molisz

molisz MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2016
    It means you need certificate file for your machine to be activated. Did that Dell came with Windows 7 Pro pre-installed or did you install it by yourself?
    Theres a thread somewhere on MDL with certficates for all OEMs but i cant find it. As fas as i know your OS has to match with slic table. Whats the key from ProductId.txt?

8. diagon

diagon MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2018
    @ForrestGump - @molisz's instructions necessitate a "DELL.xrm-ms", which I was not able to get (see above, "No OEM Certificate Found"). So I'm not sure what I've got here and how to proceed. It does appear to have a recovery partition.

Details about the machine: I got it at salvage. It had an odd login: "XB\abxxxxxxx", which I think was some kind of network login (?) I was able to bypass that and get into the "Administrator" account. I'm finding that while it's a 64 bit machine, this is a 32 bit Windows - not optimal, but my main focus now is just to get /some/ windows working, so I can go on to work on the BIOS. (Computrace rootkit.)

9. diagon

diagon MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2018
  10. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
    No, when your machine contains a valid slic, you can install any win7 edition and get it activated automatically at the end of the install.
    What is required is having slic2.x on the machine, and of course certificate, slic table and oem:slp must match so that the activation can be done.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
  12. diagon

diagon MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2018
    Ok, so the "SLIC Diagnosis" says: "DELL B11K" for all XSDT, RSDT, PubKey and Marker. Digital Signature says "ok".

13. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
  14. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
    it does not matter, it will work.

15. molisz

molisz MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2016
    1. other files are slic dumps (*.bin) thers only 1 .xrm-ms file there (thats the extension for Microsoft certificate files)
    2. from mighty MDL, delete spaces and put dots
    forums mydigitallife net / threads/10370/

16. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
    #18 ForrestGump, Oct 29, 2018
    it's probably the oem:slp key that is present and that was extracted from your bios.

17. molisz

molisz MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2016