Windows 10 Compression

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Flipp3r, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Hi All,

Does anyone know if compression has been implemented yet in any of the Win10 builds?
    How would you install the OS? Will it be an option during installation?

Compression may have been good with smaller SSD's (that's what wimboot was for) but do we really need it now?
    I've used "Double Space", "DriveSpace" & Stacker to know I'd rather be without!

Any thoughts?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    It had been implemented, you need to run disk cleanup wizard and it's an option through there. This compression is NOT the same as NTFS file compression. It's supposedly better compression and faster than that. If you enable NTFS for compression it disables this compression.

I think it should be mandatory, at least on Windows Apps, the driver store folder as well as a couple of other inefficient or large rarely used repositories.

4. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    If you are using DISM you can use the /compact switch, I'm not sure when it was implemented but it works on 10041 and 10049. I haven't figured out how to get the recovery enhancements, reagentc doesn't seem to let me specify anything other than the location of a WIM file for the OS image.

5. gabrielmorrow

gabrielmorrow MDL Member

Jul 5, 2013
  6. Soulfate

Soulfate MDL Member

Feb 14, 2011
    I've compressed following native files in my Windows 8.1 WIM:
    *.exe
    *.dll
    *.msi (can be skipped)
    *.cab (can be skipped)
    *.bmp
    *.wav
    *.ocx
    *.pak
    *.sys
    *.inf
    *.pnf
    *.xml
    *.chm
    *.mui
    *.db
    And there is no bad impact because most of these files are just "read only" files and do not need to be modified.
    You could try to compact "WinSxS" too, but I've not tested.
    No impact on a SSD and FX-6300 CPU.

And if the Windows 10 compression is better than the NTFS compression, just forget it.

7. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    #8 Flipp3r, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    (OP)
  8. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Compression is awesome - only works with SSD's though.

Capture.PNG

9. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    You can safely compress everything (well except the bootmgr) the NTFS compression is smart enough to not waste time trying to recompress the already compressed files. You will see them in blue but they are practically untouched.

And on SSDs, generally you don't lose performance, likely you will get a gain.

10. janos666

janos666 MDL Member

Feb 25, 2012
    #11 janos666, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    Although, NTFS compression might got improved under Win10, I think it is the same.
    I accidentally compressed my system files with the disk cleanup utility and I could completely reverse it (proof: the Disk Utility yet again offered me the compression like it never happened) by decompressing every files like they were compressed by the age old NTFS compression (I used the old command I can't recall from memory but Google was my friend).

That's not true. You can manually compress the files on an HDD. The problem is that HDDs work very slow with fragmented filesystems and compression often causes fragmentation. It doesn't matter that much on SSDs (sequential throughput in MBPS is also higher but random IOPS is A LOT higher).

11. Kuantum Freak

Kuantum Freak MDL Junior Member

Mar 30, 2015
    #12 Kuantum Freak, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    This is a little off topic, but how would upgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 on a compressed OS go? My Asus has 32Gb of eMMC space and runs a compressed OS. When I tried upgrading to Win 10, it gave me the error that it could not install on a compressed OS. When Windows 10 RTM comes out, how would the upgrade go?

EDIT:
    It does touch on the topic but this article was written about a month ago, does anyone have more news about it?

Code:
    [h=2]We're working on bringing upgrade to low capacity devices[/h][FONT=WOL_Reg]The reason Windows 8.1 devices using WIMBOOT are not yet able to upgrade to Windows 10 is because many of the WIMBOOT devices have very limited system storage. That presents a challenge when we need to have the Windows 8.1 OS, the downloaded install image, and the Windows 10 OS available during the upgrade process. We do this because we need to be able to restore the machine back to Windows 8.1 if anything unexpected happens during the upgrade, such as power loss. In sum, WIMBOOT devices present a capacity challenge to the upgrade process and we are evaluating a couple of options for a safe and reliable upgrade path for those devices.
    [/FONT]

12. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    The setup will do the work for you.

13. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
  14. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
  15. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
  16. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
  17. robmadden1

robmadden1 MDL Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Is there any reason not to use the LZX compression? Will it make the file load slower when compacted in this format?