Win32 Calculator is back (at least in LTSB)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by KNARZ, Jul 29, 2015.

1. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    #1 KNARZ, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    Just startet some compare of editions and the beloved Calculator is back in LTSB (at least).

The Name changed from calc.exe to win32calc.exe
    Also the package is called "Microsoft-Windows-win32calc-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.10240.16384"

It also seems that LTBS has no extra Metro / Modern UI Applications at all (excluding the System-depended things like Settings and so on). The Version gets pretty interessting for minimalistic / oldschool people (like me)

Edit: LTSB not LTBS

2. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
  3. sauronxxx

sauronxxx MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    as they (microsoft) wrote it´s pretty possible that modern UI apps will not work with LTBS after some updates.
    because it needs these updates to make them work. as LTBS will not get these updates they will maybe stop working.

so maybe they have not included them at all.

4. shawnmos

shawnmos MDL Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Ltbs???????

5. pawX

pawX MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Did anyone actually check if/how LTSB behaves differently compared to the normal Enterprise version?

Does it get the same updates at the same time as other versions (not delayed) if choosing to install them?

Is there actually an option to manually scan, then see the found updates without it automatically installing them, then choosing what to install and when, and hiding unwanted ones without the separate tool?

Screens would be appreciated.

Also, any chance it's possible to convert an already-installed Enterprise edition to LTSB?

This version sounds promising. It can disable Telemetry completely like the normal Enterprise version, has classic calculator (I'm also assuming the Photo Viewer is activated by default instead of the Photos app), and possibly a manual way of controlling updates. If that's all true, and the updates it gets are the same ones that other versions get (i.e. not only critical updates like someone suggested, but every update if you choose to install it), this version will be very appealing.

6. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008
    awesome, so any metro apps installed such as photos, mail, calendar, etc?\\

and do you have the option to skip cd key during install? thanks

7. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    Haven't tested LTSB yet but will try some installation in the night.
    I focused on some other things within the compare.

I already compared the Systemlicenses and the registry parts but to be honest I haven't found a real significant difference to regular Enterprise Edition in aspect to the Windows Update.
    There are not many diffs beside the exchanged/missing/added packages. (EnterpriseS instead of Enterprise, No Edge, Calculator)

Education has some more differences to Enterprise but they aren't that spectacular... (fixed Watermark, Telemetry-Permission,configmanager2-license-blockedprovider)

8. sauronxxx

sauronxxx MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    i just installed win10 Enterprise and there was no option to disable updates. so right now windows 10 is downloading 5 updates.

i was also puzzled that i was not asked for an MS account.
    does enterprise by default create an local account?

9. pawX

pawX MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Yeah that's normal behavior. There's a group policy to 'notify to download' updates, but on Enterprise it will still download and automatically install when found. The question is, what happens in the LTSB version after changing the group policy.

10. sauronxxx

sauronxxx MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    but i should be able to defer the updates.... or not?

how do i do that?

the updates started immediately.

11. sauronxxx

sauronxxx MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    also i thought i can disable Driver updates in any win10 Version... but i get the nvidia Driver.

and i see no option to disable this... please point me in the right direction.

12. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    long term bull shizzle lololol

13. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    I think it needs to be done with a policy, no UI to turn it off.

14. pawX

pawX MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Anyone knows how to change the LTSB updating branch to Current? Apparently that will make it receive the same updates as other versions get without delay. In combination with the proper Group Policy setting, it could basically restore the same Windows 8.1 update behavior.

15. Soulfate

Soulfate MDL Member

Feb 14, 2011
    LTSB will be probably the edition I will adopt if someone find an easy way to fix this update restriction for new features. It looks like promising and very close to what Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Enterprise is.

16. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    KNARZ, great find!
    btw, what happened to your blog? It is silent, no new posts.
    Are you running out of mood or time for writing?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    kind of booth. Also content and access... - after wp upgrade login doesn work. didnt find the time to fix this.
    I also have some side web-project and regular job. I guess something in Q1 2016 I will try to fix and may provide some content. Visual Boot script has some duplicate lines ever since. I know that but never fixed it ^^

18. smoker7808

smoker7808 MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2014
    LTSB? Enterprise edition ?