64 Bit OS......is it a must to have a 64 bit media player?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Matrix Leader, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    I use K-Lite Mega Codec Pack and I love it.

I notied that there is a K-Lite Codec Pack 64-Bit on the site but that is not MEGA, meaning, it does not include the real time alternative nor the QuickTime Alternative.....

So do I HAVE to use the 64 bit variant and manually install the QuickTime Alternative and Real Alternative? Or would the 32 bit suffice?

I've had no problems with the 32 bit i'm just wondering what am I realliny missing out on?

Thanks for your replies in advance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    If you use 64-bit player (ie media Player Classic x64) then you DO need to use 64-bit codecs

You can use 32-bit player with 32-bit codecs just fine

I do not see any advantage to using 64-bit player

sebus

3. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    no advantages using a 64 bit player......that's all I wanted to know...... Thanks d00d

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Personally I stopped using K-Lite Codec Packs a while back, just use VCL player now plays almost everything and don't put stuff all over your system.

5. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    I used VLC for like 2 months and I loved the speed.....the only thing that made me revert back to K-Lite / MPC is that I hate the progress bar of VLC in full screen mode.

If you're like watching a pr0n.......and u need to constantly switch back and forth between scenes.....u can never get that progress bar in the right section....if u put it at the bottom it covers some imp. part :D if u put it at the top it covers something else..... MPC however magically resizes the video in full screen mode so u dont notice this

6. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
  7. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
  8. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
  9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  10. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Codec packs and what not were somewhat necessary in xp, but definitely not in windows 7 and certainly not with vlc media player.
    I remember till my XP days (Feb 2010), I had to use 3 media players (VLC, GOM, etc), download and install some codecs, then uninstall, because their was no impact on success which was playing all kinds of files. VLC did well enough in xp, and in windows 7, anything other than win 7+vlc is a waste of space and can cause some work.
    I also found that without installing codecs in xp, but just xp+vlc, my success rate was higher. Install codecs and then some conflicts arose. Uninstall those, and then even vlc could go wrong, and some sorts of runtime or direct x or some other errors.

My working solution for win 7 is win 7 (incl. wmp by default)+ vlc. That is it. Plays all video files that I download. Do not install quicktime at all (unless specifically needed or comes as a forcible part of itunes). If you prefer a N version, perhaps you can install the media pack from MS (free) and VLC. That should be enough.