7 Loader v5 advise please

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by orb8, Jan 16, 2010.

1. orb8

orb8 MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2010
    Hi,

Just a bit of advise please. I got my Win 7 Ultimate x64 7600 RTM from MSDN many moons ago now, and ever since I've had it I've been having problems with the likes of Media Center, Racedriver GRID, Media Player etc giving me the following error.. "This program has stopped responding". This can happen many times during watching TV on Media Center and normally occurs when I'm winning a race in GRID too. It's very frustrating! Now I've tried re-installing the OS many times to no avail always using 7 Loader- release 5. Question is... Is it possible that using a loader could cause these problems?

Many Thanks

orb

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You answered your own question not streaming quick enough from the net plus trying to play game at the same time, even the best machines get busy.

3. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    If anyone were to be able to help you, they would need to know your system specs... What hardware are you running? How much RAM do you have? What type of video card? etc, etc, etc,... ;)

Without more info it is very difficult to help you...

4. orb8

orb8 MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2010
    #4 orb8, Jan 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
    (OP)
    Sorry.. I didn't mean I'm doing all these things at the same time. I meant.. Say I'm just watching TV on Media Center, every so often media center OR my games (GRID etc.. and not necessarily online ones) will just stop and I'll get a message saying 'Media center has stopped working". My question is.. Could using a loader (7 loader v5) on the operating system cause these errors?

Sorry.. specs as follows. Fully tested on Prime95, IBT and LinX

Sys specs
    ASUS Maximus II Formula
    Q9650 @ 4.2GHz / TRUE Black
    8GB OCZ platinum PC8500
    ASUS GTX 295
    60GB OCZ Vertex Turbo
    3 x SATA II Seagate HDD's (4TB)
    Dual Digital TV
    Enermax Revolution85+ 1250W
    26" IIyama Prolite
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    12Mb Connection

Regards

orb

5. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    My question is.. Could using a loader (7 lodaer v5) on the operating system cause these errors?

No it cannot.

6. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    60GB OCZ Vertex Turbo - I assume your OS is installed on this drive. Have you checked out if it is in need of "TRIMming". When an SSD fills up with invalid data performance can deteriorate and maybe the write overhead is causing an issue with the applications you are using and they "time out" - Windows 7 and Vista give the "Non responsive application" error a little prematurely sometimes in my opinion and this seems to hang the system for a while.

Anyway - I'd read up on your SSD and see if it needs "TRIMming" - TRIM can restore performance dramatically.

Just a thought.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. orb8

orb8 MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2010
    Oh well that's my theory out of the window then. Thank you for the straight answer :) I suppose this means I'm back to the drawing board and a good few days of pulling my system to bits trying to trace a dodgy component, or stress testing the OC for hours on end :(

Thanks for the reply, yes I use the TRIM command weekly on the SSD and every so often consolidate the free space on the drive to keep it's performance up to scratch.

Thanks

Regards

orb

8. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Another mystery UNSOLVED - oh well

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Actually I believe that the loader you are using could cause problems. Normally they do nothing but emulate slic like they are supposed to but there has been many releases of 7loader to fix various bugs. I would not be shocked if there is a bug withing that specific loader that is causing your problem. I would either try Daz's loader or 7loader 1.6.1d.

10. orb8

orb8 MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2010
    #10 orb8, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
    (OP)
    Not so I'm pleased to say :) After a solid day swapping various components to make sure there was not a hardware fault. I decided to reset my whole overclock and aim for a different setting altogether, as this was the only thing left. Especially as Mr Jinje had confirmed that using a loader did not effect any OS files. So into the BIOS I went, changing all the necessary settings then checking the resulting overclocks. I decided that were previously I was happy with the frequency and timings for my ram I'd also start over again. I still wanted to keep my tight'ish timings though. So to get rid of this problem I was having and get the thing fully stable (even though hours of previous testing showed no errors.) I opted to weaken off Asus's 'Ai Clock Twister' just a tad, and lower the rams voltage a little by -0.3v (I've learned that upping the voltage is not always the way to go for stability :) Anyway this has now stabilised the system nicely. The problems I was having with program crashes it seems were all related mainly to these two simple adjustments, following which I've been running Media Center for three hours without a hitch, and the problem I had with certain games just stopping with the 'not responding' message has finaly gone. I know this because one of the first things to really emphasise this problem was a game I bought recentely (Left 4 Dead 2.) Within 10 minutes of starting this particular game the dreaded 'L4D2 has stopped working' message would show up. However tonight I've been giving it another chance, and it's been absolutely fine :)

I guess it just goes to show that all these torture tests that we put our systems through are no good on their own without good old day to day usage.

Thanks sam for your input. I think as I've found MDL and become a member here, I may just try Daz's loader when I next format my machine (probably won't be long now.) I've done a little reading on the loader thread and Daz's version does sound very popular and fully functunal. Would you know if Daz's version can been used over the top of Orbit & Hazars 7 loader v5? Or if I can use Hazars new version straight over the top of the version I have now?

Regards

orb

11. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Yes it will be fine. If you are concerned though then download hazar's 7loader 1.6.1d and run "Repair Activation". That will remove any and all loaders you have installed(Nice tool to have in a pinch). Then use Daz's loader and you should be good. I have actually found that the loader you are using has some potential problems. I actually used it for awhile before the public lauch of win7 and randomally I lost my activation.

12. orb8

orb8 MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2010
    Thanks sam ;) I downloaded hazar's 1.6.1d, repaired activation and then tried to use it, however it was giving me an error all the time. So I just used hazars to uninstall any loaders and used Daz's version, hiding the created 'Bootsect' folder when finished. All seems well again :)

Regards

orb