7 Ultimate OEM activated but fails validation

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by KTac, Jan 24, 2012.

1. KTac

KTac MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    Hello all. The starangest thing happened yesterday. My wife's laptop has been activated with 7 Ultimate via BIOS mod for over a year. Just yesterday a message popped up out of nowhere saying Windows is not genuine but the system properties still says it's activated. I've attached a couple of screen grabs to illustrate. Clicking reslove online also tells me I'm not genuine. I've found a few threads of people who've had similar problems but nothing I've found works. I've tried reinstalling the key and license file, rearming and then reinstalling the key and license file, and running Fix WAT. After each I've run %SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe /run and visited hxxp://xxx.microsoft.com/genuine/validate and I am continuously told that I am not genuine. BTW, the key that I use is the Acer key from the thread found here: hxxp://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/10370-Windows-7-OEM-SLP-Key-Collection so the key should be good. Attached is also the output from the MGA Diagnostic Tool. I hope someone can help me straighten this out. TIA.

Attached Files:

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. KTac

KTac MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    Thanks, I'll try it when I get home from work and report back.

4. KTac

KTac MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    I ran MBR Regenerator and then reinstalled the cert and key and I'm still getting the message saying my windows is not genuine. This is so frustrating.

5. sr71

sr71 MDL Junior Member

May 9, 2008
    Maybe you used the Lenovo Ultimate key that leaked and had been revoked?!
    Use another Ultimate key from tagged list and check whether the bios realy contains the SLIC.

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  7. KTac

KTac MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    @sr71: As mentioned in the OP, I used the Acer key from the list provided right here at MDL. That list doesn't have any blacklisted keys.

@Tito: I'll post an updated MGADiag report when I get home from work.

8. locob

locob MDL Member

Jun 2, 2010
    What did you use as your source for the Windoze installation? An "un-touched" version of Windoze should not result in all those tampered files. :confused: :confused:

9. KTac

KTac MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    I did use an untouched oem Windows 7 iso. The only thing I added was the sources\$oem$ folder for Acer that I got from that thread here at MDL. Like I said in the OP it was working fine fore over a year and then all of a sudden I started getting message that Windows is not genuine. This machine did recently have a malware infection but it's clean now. Maybe it could have damaged something having to do with Windows activation before it was cleaned but I would have thought that MBR Regenrator would've fixed anything of that nature.

10. locob

locob MDL Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Looks like a repair install may be your only other option. If not fixed then do a wipe & new clean install.

11. KTac

KTac MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    Here is the updated MGADiag report.

Attached Files:

12. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Do a repair install with a fresh iso... this is the last option. You still have those tampered file :(

13. KTac

KTac MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    Thanks. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

14. Fredust_AIR

Fredust_AIR MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2012
    Same problem here. Any solution, but not reinstall?

15. KTac

KTac MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    First allow me to aplogize to the folks who have been following this thread and helping me with my problem for not getting back to you with the results. I didn't mean to be rude. The repair install did the trick.

@Fredust_AIR: I would try the other methods mentioned in this thread first obviously because the reason they were suggested is that the've worked for others with similar situations plus they're all a lot less annoying than doing a repair install. But if all else fails, go withe the repair install. You won't lose anything except time.