Why still use SLIC?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Snowski, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Snowski

Snowski MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Hi guys,

I'm using the Chinese loader on all my installs and wonder why people still try to update their BIOS?
    Is there an advantage to using an updated SLIC?
    I sure hope these loaders aren't going to give problems in the future (windows update)

2. hersounds

hersounds MDL Junior Member

Jul 24, 2009
  3. Snowski

Snowski MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Ah ok bud, I will look into modding my BIOS then.

I have a VM (osx86) and lap install but haven't replaced my main 7264 install yet so will try the SLIC method. Is there a proper way to remove the loaders?

Thx for the info

4. chubila

chubila MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2008
    Hum, nice...

I always wanna know the difference between Loader x Bios Mod.

Thanks for the explanation.

5. hersounds

Jul 24, 2009
    yes ever bios is better!

U can overclock your system with setfsb or clockgen but never compare with bios OC,manual clocks,vcore,disable ,enabled,etc

heres the same loader cheat windows validation only "software",but bios cheat via "hardware",don't dude buddy,ever bios method are better.

6. Thelittlelord

Thelittlelord MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2008
    and of course your system remains untouched and you dont have unknown garbage from loaders

7. Snowski

Snowski MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    #7 Snowski, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
    (OP)
    I have requested 2.1 SLIC mod in the proper thread.

After that I just flash the bios, install Win 7 and then activate a key via cmd tool?

Update: Modded BIOS with HP SLIC and Cert myself and Windows 7 RTM is installed & activated, thx for the info lads!

8. davefr

davefr MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    But with the BIOS mod you're no longer aligned with the MB manufacturers standard platform. Any subsequent BIOS updates will also need to be manually patched with SLIC 2.1 won't they?

Pick your poison. Frankenbuild OS, Frankenbuild BIOS or Frankenbuild boot loader. I tend to think the later would be the best approach.

9. justinkb

justinkb MDL Member

Jul 16, 2008
    frankenbuild bios? what on earth are you talking about? don't spread bulls**t.

10. jasqid

jasqid MDL Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Yes. Any update will need SLIC reinserted before flash.

11. davefr

davefr MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Non standard BIOS that's no longer aligned with the MB's manufacturer and once modded it'll always have to be specially modded prior to being able to flash regular improvements/updates.

Unless I'm missing something, the thought of deviating from the manufacturers BIOS roadmap is not that appealing. (unless it's an older/mature MB)

Am I missing something here?

12. hersounds

Jul 24, 2009
    IS NOT PROBLEM, nobody FLASH BIOS IF DON'T HAVE PROBLEM ( TEORY )
    but if you are an overclocker or entusiast,take care and download new bios, and just put in biosmod.com for add THE NEW INSTRUCTION ( SLIC 2.1) and that is all.

13. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    #13 frwil, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
    Interesting POV, if someone can't get it - Frankenbuild BIOS = hybrid of two different BIOS's which almost any SLIC-moddded BIOS is, unless the modding method's result is completely equal to what would be official way, like dynamic in AMI, I suppose. or insyde BIOS mods probably. From this POV almost all SuperStatic-modded BIOS's are pure Frankenbuilds. A way to distinguish is apparent: if after official BIOS update it needs re-modding, then it's Frankenbuild BIOS, if official BIOS Update keeps SLIC untouched - this BIOS is totally OK (in sense of being genuine). However, if to speak about lo*ders, they are based on Grub, which is Open source project, and everyone can change/add whatever they want to it's code if they have programming skills, so i don't see there a reason to call modified Grub Frankenbuild (or it is a hybrid with some vendor's BIOS? Then it's Chimera(sp?), lol). But Grub doesn't work properly on some RAID configurations, and in these cases only BIOS mod or bootmgr patch is an option.

14. jackfrost777

jackfrost777 MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2009
    I was going to this once i do a clean install of win7 ultimate..so once you flashed the modded bios the rtm shows activated? was there any expiration date? i tried some of those loaders and they did activate but the expiration showed 3/2010...

15. Jopplehead

Jopplehead MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    #15 Jopplehead, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
    I have two PC's moded with BIOS... an old one and a newer 6 month old one. Both seem to be fine and activated no problems. It says license is permanent , no expiration and the process was easy. The trick is to get adequate info and correct info on doing your bios mod. If not careful... it is really easy to brick your MB.

16. Gonzakpo

Gonzakpo MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    You don't need to update your BIOS is your PC is running fine... that means, W7 free forever!

17. weinter

weinter MDL Senior Member

Feb 19, 2009
    We don't really call the BIOS franken BIOS because it is just one Table OEMID and OEMTable added/modfied.
    In many cases SLIC 2.0 is already there we just update it to 2.1 with no repercussions.

18. Alexander01

Alexander01 MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    #18 Alexander01, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
    Microsoft has no rights to remove grldr since it's a legitimate tool and can be used to have a multiboot configuration. It also isn't running/active when the OS is loaded. Microsoft is not allowed to delete files that you have placed on the system while it isn't active or running. Also they can't block a serial that alot of OEM customers are also using.

So a loader or bios mod. Both are safe.

19. weinter

weinter MDL Senior Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Whether Microsoft has the right to do that or they want to do that is 2 different.If they cared about rights they wouldn't be rich.
    The safest bet IMO is BIOS because it is read-only unless flashing.

20. Geezzer

Geezzer MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    And that is quite simple and quick task to do.