Microsoft scraps Windows 7 'E' version

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by digimanuk, Aug 1, 2009.

1. digimanuk

digimanuk MDL Junior Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Microsoft confirmed late on Friday that it plans to kill off the Windows 7 'E' version for Europe.

In a statement a company official confirmed Windows 7 E is no more:

In the wake of last week's developments, as well as continuing feedback on Windows 7 E that we have received from computer manufacturers and other business partners, I'm pleased to report that we will ship the same version of Windows 7 in Europe in October that we will ship in the rest of the world.

One reason we decided not to ship Windows 7 'E' is concerns raised by computer manufacturers and partners. Several worried about the complexity of changing the version of Windows that we ship in Europe if our ballot screen proposal is ultimately accepted by the Commission and we stop selling Windows 7 'E'. Computer manufacturers and our partners also warned that introducing Windows 7 'E', only to later replace it with a version of Windows 7 that includes IE, could confuse consumers about what version of Windows to buy with their PCs.

Microsoft has proposed to the EU, the idea of a ballot screen to showcase different browsers that end users can select. Earlier this week Microsoft officials confirmed this ballot screen will be available for XP and Vista users too.

According to CNET those who pre-ordered Windows 7 'E' through a recent discount offer will get the full version, as Microsoft had promised. Microsoft will now be selling Windows 7 upgrade copies and a higher-priced full version (for those without a previous copy of Windows) similar to the rest of the world.

2. Infitima

Infitima MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    What about us that installed Windows 7 E?
    Same product keys when they come out, right? Or will it not work?
    I installed E, because I hate IE.

3. GurliGebis

GurliGebis MDL Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Well, you have installed a version that will never hit the stores.
    So most likely, it will be blocked from Windows Update and their download site.

4. JFMuggs

JFMuggs MDL Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Since MS won't be releasing the E version, there obviously won't be any keys available for it.

Since you have nothing to lose, you might try replacing the following two files with ones from the non-E version and see if it then activates with the appropriate Cert and the Lenovo OEM key:

pidgenx.dll
    pkeyconfig.xrm-ms

I'm shooting from the hip here, so don't blame me if everything goes south. If you want to try it but can't afford to lose your current system, make sure you've made an image backup of it so you can restore it if necessary.

I'd be interested in the results.

5. Infitima

Infitima MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    I tried activating it, I got errors. And won't that key be blacklisted?
    All I have to lose is my files... but external HD will hold those.... and comp speed re-duced. This computer is new and installing 7 was its first reformat.
    However the computer is an Quad Core HP m9160f.
    The program to show if Slic 2.1 wasn't responding, and none of the activation options work. If it can be fixed, then I'll try the above for testing purposes.

6. minoverta

minoverta MDL Member

Jun 17, 2009
    I get ride of my downloaded E versions right now :D

7. JFMuggs

JFMuggs MDL Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Are you saying you replaced the two files I suggested and it still wouldn't activate? If you didn't reboot after replacing them, you should.

We don't know if MS will issue a WGA update to invalidate the activation on systems using the leaked Lenovo key. Until it happens, it's useless to worry about it.

8. Infitima

Infitima MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    No, I mean before when trying the key. Replacing those files will fix it? But it was supported before, wasn't it? So how do those files change it?

9. JFMuggs

JFMuggs MDL Member

Jan 13, 2009
    These files determine whether a key is valid or not. I suspect these files are different on E and non-E installs, therefore requiring different keys for the different versions. As I said before, it may not accomplish the desired result of allowing a non-E key to activate an E version, but if you're about to give up and reinstall using the non-E version anyway, it's worth a shot if for nothing more than curiosity reasons.

You'll find these files in the \sources folder of a non-E installation DVD. Rename the originals on your E system to .BAK and copy the non-E files in. If I recall correctly, pidgenx.dll is located in your C:\Windows\System32 folder and pkeyconfig.xrm-ms is located at C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform. You can always search for them to make sure.

10. JFMuggs

JFMuggs MDL Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Don't bother with my suggestion to replace the two files. I threw an E version on VMware and tried it and it didn't help. It was probably silly of me to think it could be this simple. Sorry if I got your hopes up.

11. mcbyte

mcbyte MDL Junior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    for what reason did you install Windows 7 'E'? you don't like IE just not use it and set another browser as default browser, that's what i do always.
    I terms of space, 20-30 MB's for IE is nothing compared to having windows 7 that already occupies 6GB+

12. mirkocosta

mirkocosta MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    I presume that a windows without IE has less registry trash/useless keys so it's a little bit "faster", but you can always remove IE with panel control, so...

13. XP1

XP1 MDL Junior Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Imagine going to 7 computers manually to remove WIE. I thought, "No way," so I just installed the E version. It's a lot easier.

Fewer steps = easier; Makes sense to me. Doesn't it?

14. mirkocosta

mirkocosta MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Of course.

It could be even possible to make an unattended answer file to not install IE package or even better, to integrate the IE-E-package into the NON-E install.wim --- theory only.

15. XP1

XP1 MDL Junior Member

Feb 22, 2008
    #15 XP1, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
    I am just wondering what the software future will mean without WIE.

Will 3rd-party software require to install WIE as a prerequisite, nullifying the purpose of Windows 7 E in the first place?

What about those 3rd-party software that use the WIE engine? Will those old applications stop working becuase there is no WIE component in the operating system?

Will people still use Windows 7 E even if Microsoft discontinues it? Will 3rd-party applications adapt to a browser-less Windows?

16. scyphus

scyphus MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    And M'soft flies in the face of competiton law rules again :/

Here comes another billion dollar fine. Anyone know if they even bothered paying the first fine off to the EC?

edit: anyone else think this is fairly hypocritical? blacklisting the leaked key and publicly announcing their own crime on the same day? :p

17. Helmutcheese

Helmutcheese MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #17 Helmutcheese, Aug 1, 2009
    F00K the EU.

I'm Scottish and I ain't part of them assholes, its basically France (pussy's) and Germany (nazi's) trying to run all other countries.

They have more important things to do with running the EU than go after MS about IE.

I know peeps who hate IE but even they think it was dumb, after all you have the choice to not use it and it does not even come with a Desktop Icon now (cannot be fixed in Win 7 yet).

Imagine complaining your new Ford car comes with Ford Alloy Wheels instead of Subaru Alloy Wheels (same thing as complaining Windows comes with IE or WMP or OE/WM or WMM).

Good show MS, I knew the public and others would see sense better than these overpaid useless BAST**** in the EU think tank.

Oh and bad luck to anyone using the "E" version but you really shouldn't have it this soon and by time Windows 7 is for sale to the public (Oct 2009), it will not matter.

Anyone who wanted the "E" version is a bit mad as saving a few MB of space and thinking it will make Windows 7 notably faster.

18. scyphus

scyphus MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Haha, i agree with you about it being a silly way to implement the decision. The OS should've been pre-loaded with installers for the top 5 browsers around and people should've just been given the choice to install which one(s) right on start up. Installer based auto-updates would've taken care of any outdated setup packages anyway :/

I'll say this though, the fact that IE comes pre-packaged does make a diff to downloadable browsers. Most non-tech savy users (at least the ones around me) stick to IE just because it's there right from the start.

p.s. dont mention the war, i think the germans are still touchy about it :p

19. Helmutcheese

Helmutcheese MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #19 Helmutcheese, Aug 1, 2009
    I don't agree with that last part, why should MS give other Browsers in its own OS ?

The user has the choice to do that after install, if they ain't LEET enough to know about other browsers they do not need them, personally I knew/tried FF before most LEET kiddies knew what it was and I still do not like it.

There is no way Ford would offer you the choice of Ford/Subaru/Toyota Alloy Wheels.

If I was MS, I would say to the EU, F*CK OFF we ain't selling Windows any more in the EU.

Ok they loss a bit of money for a very short period of time because most peeps who are clued up would buy it digitally from USA or even get a hard copy sent over.

The public would made a noise and the their Gov's would cave in to public demand and again Windows full loaded with MS App's (that you have the choice to use or not) would be in Windows 7 instead this Live Add On crap.

I know for a fact if anyone here invented something they would do everything they could to protect their invention/investment and not want some EU WANK*RS state what they should and should not give away bundled FREE with it.

20. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Why not make a Windows 7 Extreme-E edition? Without notepad, calculator, paint, ie, etc. etc. Especially for the people who are complaining on monopoly issues. I like having an OS with a web browser, just like Apple has the Safari browser. If, one day, Apple becomes bigger than MS, they have to make ballot screens or E/N editions too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...