Installing Windows 7 From USB Drive 3 Steps Easy Process

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Gigahertz20, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Gigahertz20

Gigahertz20 MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2009
    #1 Gigahertz20, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. Gigahertz20

Gigahertz20 MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2009
  3. Opa

Opa MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Sounds good :)

4. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    Or simply buy an "U3" compatible USB Key and extract the ISO on it.
    Nothing else is needed.

5. Zaphire

Zaphire MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2009
    It works fine.
    I've been doing it since well before the beta version came out.

In 3. above, insert your USB key and go to the 'Bootable' pull down menu in UltraISO.
    Then select 'Write Disk Image. . .'

Make sure the window says the drive letter your key is in and then press the button 'Write'.

Just like burning an ISO to a DVD but in this case the result will be a bootable USB key.

Installing this way will only work on a machine that will boot from a USB key.
    You may need to change the boot order in your BIOS and then change it back after.

And in some cases you will need to remove the key at the first re-boot of the install process otherwise the install may start from the beginning again.

This would be a great way to install to a netbook that has no DVD drive.

6. atifsh

atifsh MDL Junior Member

Jun 4, 2008
    #6 atifsh, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
    woh steps.. burning iso to USB......what is this stupid gallary........ u guys actually know meaning of burning ?

sorrry i had to say this, no offence but u dont need to do anything......

format usb copy / extract files from iso to usb thats it. boot from usb.

use anything u like ultra iso, winrar, ............ u just need to copy the da m files from dvd to usb

7. sunnybear

sunnybear MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2009
    ya. that's the new feature from UltraISO 9.2 version or later

so make sure you have the latest version.

not only this, i also use it to boot my computer into pure DOS to flash the BIOS

8. Opa

Opa MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
  9. wuhoatu

wuhoatu MDL Member

Apr 24, 2009
    It more easy in my case. I use my cheap USB Kingston 4GB v30 only (not U3 type).
    1. Format it with HP USB Flash disc format
    2. Extract all content of WIN7/Vista ISO to the USB (more exactly, I already exacted it to a folder on my HDD and copy it to the USB)
    3. Boot by the USB and install OS normally.

10. atifsh

atifsh MDL Junior Member

Jun 4, 2008
    bythe way its not windows 7 feature... i install vista like that. :) just vista takes little more time its not optimized for this purpose. so vista actually copies everything from usb to harddisk first. win 7 just install as it install frm dvd.

11. Zaphire

Zaphire MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2009
    atifsh - I said "just like burning" and if you just copy the files from out of the ISO to a USB stick it won't be bootable.
    You can do an install out of a running operating system like this but you can't boot from a key to do a fresh install like booting from a DVD as it won't be bootable.

12. echrada

echrada MDL Junior Member

Dec 24, 2008
    It definitely works, I have been doing it for quite a while.:)

13. atifsh

atifsh MDL Junior Member

Jun 4, 2008
    yeah if u see its not complicated they just do this for say if u buy usb without partion... never had a usb like that though :)

outa that tutorial..... main points were as iv already said....

Then you can copy everything from the Windows 7 installation DVD onto the USB key (a simple drag and drop will do).
    Now you can insert the thumb drive into the system you want to install Windows 7 onto and boot the system. The installation will now proceed as usual—but faster.

14. atifsh

atifsh MDL Junior Member

Jun 4, 2008
    pls dont say that anymore :) its not like burning, its copying files from one drive to other.

alright now what ill do is check if u dont have active usb partion will it boot or not. apparently my usb is active and i dont remember doing it, though i must have done it if thats not how they come.

second to make it easy and clear.... dont use disk part or blaa blaa. just use windows diskmanager and delete and recreate partition.

ill get back to u guys after i test.

15. Zaphire

Zaphire MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2009
    On installing to a multi-boot system

Say you have XP on C: and Vista on D: (first partition and second partition).

If you boot from a DVD or USB key and install Win 7 to a third partition it will be running as Win 7 on another C: and your XP on C: will be on D: when viewed from Win 7.

If you install from a running operating system then the drive assignments you have set up in that running operating system will be followed by the install of Win 7.
    That is in the above example your Win 7 would be running from E: and not C:

That way from each of the operating systems they will always see - XP on C:, Vista on D: and Win 7 on E:

I would suggest Vista Boot Pro or Easy BCD to manipulate your BCD Menu.

16. xhtml

xhtml MDL Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Hello WU. on the point 1, what type of format do you choose? fat32 or ntsf something? i d like to try it...
    last question, is it working for all USB?
    USB Key in this thread, is it for the USB flash? i meant usb drive?

I just got an idea... is it possible if i took the MicroSD as the flash? anyone try? i waste 5 or 6 DVDs already as i just began using win7 in July... :D
    thanks and hope friends can help me the nebie to understand...

regardsss

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. atifsh

atifsh MDL Junior Member

Jun 4, 2008
    AFIK u cant boot frm card readers, atleast not from builtin ones.

18. xcom

xcom MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Will give this a try. Thanks! :)