8.1 phone activation and question about changing keys

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by DoTheEvolution, Oct 20, 2013.

1. DoTheEvolution

DoTheEvolution MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2011
    #1 DoTheEvolution, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    So first to mention, I read the post about various activations methods - The Windows Activation in Depth

Theres some 8.1 skype activation going on, people getting keys from web, and use them to activate through skype call.
    Whats going on there?
    Are those some legit keys? Why use phone activation then and not just over the internet?
    What about multiple users using the same key that gets posted?
    Or is it blocked right after first use?
    Will these keys last?

Second question. There are multiple identical PCs(identical guts) with win8 core retail to be installed on.
    Can win 8.1 be installed on one of the PCs, with all the updates, custom settings and various programs.
    Then this hdd would be cloned to the rest of the PCs.
    Would then just changing keys using slmgr.vbs -ipk for another legal retail key allow normal activation, and therefore saving time with rest of those PCs?

2. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #2 MSDNAA, Oct 20, 2013
    Theres some 8.1 skype activation going on, people getting keys from web, and use them to activate through skype call.
    MSDN / Technet Retail Keys can be activated online 10 times after that unlimited phone activation is available. It could be an exploit, this method is there ever since XP is launched, selecting option "1" in order to cheat the system that you are doing a re-install on a same PC. It means you are telling the system that you might have upgraded your hardware but the key is mine and I am just re-installing. They system believes you.

Whats going on there?
    Those are leaked / stolen keys from the MSDN / Technet / VLSC

Are those some legit keys? Why use phone activation then and not just over the internet?
    The keys are legit but some a-holes share the key in public as they dont' like Microsoft Products.

What about multiple users using the same key that gets posted?
    It will get blacklisted in no time.

Or is it blocked right after first use?
    Yes, they will be blocked for sure.

Will these keys last?
    Nope

Second question. There are multiple identical PCs(identical guts) with win8 core retail to be installed on.
    Can win 8.1 be installed on one of the PCs, with all the updates, custom settings and various programs.
    Then this hdd would be cloned to the rest of the PCs.
    You can do that but if you have different hardware on the PCs it might not work. For example if you have different MOBO then it would be a problem. So i would suggest a clean install on every PC.

Would then just changing keys using slmgr.vbs -ipk for another legal retail key allow normal activation, and therefore saving time with rest of those PCs?
    The above method is possible as long as you have a genuine key.

According to the above statement it looks like you are in Corporate / Small Business environment therefore i would suggest you not to try those leaked keys from the internet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kastrel

kastrel MDL Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Then people who used a key retail leaked in the net to activate your windows by phone soon will be windows disabled by ms?

4. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    That is pretty sure, why do you think they provided an upgrade from store ? Just to track keys and bad users. :cool:

5. Puffingmad

Puffingmad MDL Addicted

Aug 19, 2012
    I do see a problem with MS blocking activation's from leaked MAK keys if you install from a leaked ISO rather that the store MS have no way of telling if you are legitimate user of that key or not, so there not going to deactivate your system for fear of deactivating legitimate users

6. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    It's very easy to identify the illegitimate users, because once you activate your PC using the leaked key your system information is registered with Microsoft and they can identify the PC based on the IP. Also they will first block your Microsoft Account associated with your Activated PC. Trust me I have been following Microsoft for the past 6-8 months or so they are now very strict with their "Code of Conduct" and "Terms of use". Do you think they are not aware of what is going on this world about the illegal activation process?. They are just watching us to witness how far it goes so that they can trap you at the right time. One line - Don't mess with Microsoft. :) But I do like to :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Puffingmad

Puffingmad MDL Addicted

Aug 19, 2012
    Personal I don't think it will happen and ppl that then used there legitimate WMC should be fine I am not saying your wrong but ! I for one believe that Ms would still prefer you are using there latest software even if it is a pirate copy than you switch to apple or android on a tablet it makes seance the more ppl using your software the bigger your hold on the market.
    Only time will tell ;)

8. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Yes of course that's the only point Microsoft letting pirates to use Windows as long as the consumers use their Product Microsoft Windows. In India nobody knows the meaning of Genuine same with other countries like China, Russia and to name a few.

9. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    You missed the champ, old daddy: Indonesia has been reported to be the highest rate, somewhere above 90%. :D

10. Puffingmad

Puffingmad MDL Addicted

Aug 19, 2012
    Ms would shooting a big hole in there own feet if they tried to de-activate 90% of a country's PCs :doh:

11. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    M$ is watching since XP released & will keep on watching us...... We helped M$ in securing there product with every release.
    we are also behind there release popularity as now many can activate, use & discuss about it without paying.....
    M$ should have to pay us for all this....:D

12. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    To put it simply Activating a key through skype is stupid.

I did not answer the question regarding this in the Windows Activation in depth because it's like handling a MAK key where everyone knows the key is out there and is using it like mad. Please note the thread in question is going to be morphing a lot before its done being finalized by the sheer amount of information going into it lol.

The key is eventually going to go bad and those who did activate it using the key that was used will quickly find the key they have is black listed. There after the activation will go bad because SPPSVC runs a check everytime you start the OS up. In general I did not view this methods longevity as worthy risking your Microsoft Account over. That being said I have never linked my Microsoft Account with my Local machines as I simply do not trust Microsoft haha.

I hope this answers your question and high fives MSDNAA for answering everything.

(Side note / Point of order MSDNAA since MSDNAA no longer exist should be call you Dreamspark? lol)

13. Puffingmad

Puffingmad MDL Addicted

Aug 19, 2012
    So just out of interest in your opinion what happens to those who activate with a leaked MAK key then upgrade using their legit WMC key ?

14. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    they get activated :D

15. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    You must have heard of M$ phrase saying that "you may be a victim of software counterfeiting", it doesn't mean you did the piracy. who don't have more than one M$ account?
    who are using pirated system are always took extra measures to protect them from MS than virus...:D

16. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    No one has real idea, why you looking for another imaginary answer??

According to me it would be something like this "you may be a victim of software counterfeiting",

for M$ major problem is people selling pirated system not people like us.....

17. Puffingmad

Puffingmad MDL Addicted

Aug 19, 2012
    #17 Puffingmad, Oct 20, 2013
    :D I know was just interested
    But it will be fun to see how this all pans out :crystal:

18. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Wrong I do have an idea.

Ok When you change the edition on Windows it changes the files in Servicing / Registry / Tokens / etc etc...

That means your basically do the same thing as making an upgrade key work when you have nothing to come from (remember Windows 7 upgrade keys from vista). In that case ya simply installed Windows 7 then upgraded to the same edition using a few registry tricks. And by that logic you could say that doing an upgrade from a counterfeit copy is legit.

Frowned on but legit.

19. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Missing one thing, when people upgraded to WMC from KMS activated system M$ blocked that but sppsvs is capable of telling that system was KMS activated. All this info is stored in to tokens files...
    As of date M$ has not implemented WGA check(even its part of SPP) for this on win 8 but not difficult to find... till then no worries....

20. Puffingmad

Puffingmad MDL Addicted

Aug 19, 2012
    It was also the same with win8 you could install win7 activated with windows loader then get a upgrade key from MS upgrade with a clean install and activate with $50 upgrade key even though it cost a bit it was still cheaper than buying a new licence over here