8.1 Update, Now Won't Boot. All Recovery Media Black Screen With Mouse

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by F27, Jun 1, 2014.

1. F27

F27 MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2014
    Hi Everyone,

I tried updating to Windows 8.1 Update 1 and in didn't go through properly (it hard froze and crashed) and now won't boot past the BIOS. I cannot get into Windows and I cannot get into the Recovery Menu.

I tried recovery USB's and any I create either from a 3rd party or Windows itself results in loading to a black screen with a mouse cursor. Only one worked, Acronis (probably because its Linux) and it showed all the drives ruling out a hardware issue but sadly it cannot repair Windows.

So it seems I might be a victim of the black screen issue some had when moving to Update 1.... BUT the difference is I cannot boot into the recovery menu at all and any recovery media boots to a black screen.

Can someone please help me get out of this screen and actually boot into anything which will allow me to try to fix the MBR or go back to a restore point.

I thought the point of recovery software was that it loads no matter how corrupted Windows is... obviously not! Something is stopping all of them booting properly.

Thanks

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Does that mean you can't even boot from an Windows install media?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    #3 murphy78, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Boot to a win81 dvd and use the "Repair your computer" option.
    If that doesn't work, you can shift-f10 and do a revert-pending
    That is done by running the following command while in the winpe environment:
    Code:
    dism /image:c:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

4. F27

F27 MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2014
    #4 F27, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    That's correct. Everything PE based including install media boot's to a black screen, like it's gotten into the PE environment and then not loaded any further.

I cannot boot to the built in recovery screen or install media 'repair your computer' screen. So I cannot get to a command prompt. Why all PE media is booting to a black screen makes no sense to me as its the only way to recover the corrupt W8 install.

5. mictlan

mictlan MDL Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Then you probably have issues with your hardware.

6. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    If you cannot boot, then you likely have a hardware problem.
    Firstly try going into your bios and resetting to defaults (usually f5)
    If that doesn't fix things, open your system and re-attach most of the cables, reseat the ram and video card, etc.

Not being able to boot at all is a hardware thing, not a software thing.
    Your crash-failure was also likely a hardware thing.