Vm kms 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by xinso, Aug 12, 2009.

1. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #1 xinso, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  2. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    #2 lunar21, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Is this information true? If so then we have to have 25 computers connect before it gets activated am I correct?

Code:
    KMS facts and requirements:
    (this info is only slightly different for 7)

* One KMS host can service thousands of Vista clients.
       * You can run a second KMS host as backup system.
       * KMS is available for Windows Server 2003 SP1.
       * You can also use a Vista machine as KMS host.
       * KMS activation can be used for Vista Business and Enterprise edition.
       * Activation for the OEM edition is only supported if the KMS host is a Vista machine.
       * At least 25 Vista machines have to connect to the KMS before clients can be activated; the number of machines connected to the KMS is referred to as n-count or n value.
       * Virtual machines can be activated by the KMS, but they don’t contribute to n-count.
       * The KMS host mustn’t run in a virtual machine.

KMS time periods

* New installed Vista machine have a 30-day grace period to activate.
       * If a Vista computer didn’t activate during this time, it will go into Reduced Functionality Mode (RFM).
       * KMS clients which are not yet activated contact the KMS host every two hours (value configurable).
       * Afterwards they auto-renew their activations every 7 days (value configurable)
       * KMS clients have to renew their activation at least after 180 days.
       * If activation fails, the client has again a 30 days grace period before going into RFM.
       * The KMS host contacts Microsoft every 180 days. If there was a misuse with your KMS key, your KMS host will be disabled! 

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. VelleX

VelleX MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Maybe already 25 were added?

4. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    I don't think it can activate any edition of Server 2008 R2 if it 's based on Windows 7. This can do only KMS_C, which can be deployed only on s2k8 R2 Datacenter/Itanium or s2k3 with installed KMS 1.2, which even isn't out yet.

Windows 7 KMS can activate win7 Ent/Pro and Vista Ent/Bus, including N or E versions.

5. The_Dude

The_Dude MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    No, it can't activate Server 2008 R2, I tried with enterprise and it just gives an error, the KMS server logs it as a failed request. Too bad :(

6. OleBent

OleBent MDL Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Would be fun to be able to convert the image for a HyperV machine disk without getting out of tolerance.... ::)

7. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    When someone builds one of these using a DataCenter R2 key, I'm interested.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. The_Dude

The_Dude MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Yeah, mee too. The required stuff to do it should come out in two days time, so here's hoping :)

9. sunnybear

sunnybear MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2009
    huh?
    * The KMS host mustn’t run in a virtual machine.-----how did that one work?

* The KMS host contacts Microsoft every 180 days. If there was a misuse with your KMS key, your KMS host will be disabled!-----VM will contat MS?

10. ifeife2

ifeife2 MDL Member

Apr 25, 2008
    It seems they forced it into a virtual machine against microsoft's wishes.

This really doesn't matter if you don't keep the virtual KMS running. I mean you don't need it more than twice a year.

11. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    I can confirm that this does work. Are there any settings within the KMS server that can make the activation longer then 180 days????

12. jlp_svk

jlp_svk MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2009
    /sri RenewalInterval

Changes how often a KMS client attempts to renew its activation by contacting a KMS host. Replace RenewalInterval with a number of minutes. The default setting is 10080 (7 days). This setting overrides the local KMS client settings.

13. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    Where do I put this in, in the cmd or somewhere else?

14. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #15 sebus, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
    Just wonder, anybody run virus check on this one?

lunar21, read the link from post 12

sebus

EDIT: It is perfectly clean, run Kaspersky on it

15. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    But does this make the server acivate it for longer then 180 days or just how often the computer talkes to the server?

16. delah

delah MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2007
    #17 delah, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
    Can confirm this is working.

It's a bit disconcerting at first as Russian is the default installed MUI language - it's 99% English but some dialogs are in Cyrillic.
    I downloaded the English MUI pack and installed it.

As far as I can tell, there are no active connections beyond the LAN (I ran netstat, is there any other thing I should do to check?)

It seems to be a cut down Win7 Enterprise - no Internet Explorer for instance. EDIT: It's obviously the European version.

I have it installed on VMWare server on my Windows Home Server, chugging away and have activated Windows 7 Professional on 3 PC's so far.

I remember using this KMS activation server method when Vista first came out and it was very easy then as well, but then I discovered I could use SLIC 2.0 with master keys and oem certs so ditched the KMS server.

I would never connect to an internet based KMS server, much better to run this virtual server on your own network in my opinion.

HTH

17. delah

delah MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2007
    AFAIK, the 180 day reactivation against the KMS is mandatory. Your client W7 PC has to reactivate once every 180 days against the VMware KMS otherwise it loses activation.

The 7 day thing is a default setting which can be changed up to 180 days, I think.

18. ifeife2

ifeife2 MDL Member

Apr 25, 2008
    I read that KMS servers only NEED to connect to MS every 180 days. But who knows if it TRIES to connect more often or even randomly tries. It would be cool if people modded the virtual version with hosts file blocks or windows firewall tricks to restrict all ip addresses except 10.x.x.x and 169.254.x.x, 192.168.x.x , etc

19. delah

delah MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2007