How to create official Windows 7 MSDN/TechNet ISO's - FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by prxprx, Aug 12, 2009.

1. prxprx

prxprx MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    #1 prxprx, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #2 Daz, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
    This works too & I learned a lesson in the process, don't post on forums when your really tired!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. shAkur

shAkur MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2009
    nice try,but what is point of it?? to make touched ISO to have same hashes as original MS ISO...:confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. freibooter

freibooter MDL Junior Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Entirely pointless exercise. Changing files or even timestamps changes the hash ... so it won't be an "official ISO" no matter how real you're trying to make it look.

5. freibooter

freibooter MDL Junior Member

Sep 5, 2007
    If that was his goal he fails miserably. It appears that the op doesn't understand how hash values work.

6. 4D696B65

4D696B65 MDL Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Exactly. If sha1 was so easy to fake we would all be in big trouble.

7. shAkur

shAkur MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2009
    I agree with u...this thread should be closed now!

8. VelleX

VelleX MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Why Fake? It works of course -_-

I tried myself some time ago, but never used the -udfver102 switch, so failed :D

I also tried with windows xp professional long time ago.

9. ionsmurf

ionsmurf MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2009
    Thanks prxprx,

I can confirm it works, also tried it myself before but never changed the system time zone, so failed then but now it works :).

10. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    how can this be?I thought the hash is a unique id.

But the isos being actually the same and only ei.cfg is different, this explains it.

11. win7user

win7user MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2009
    Idiots

Learn what a hash means before spewing BS

12. Barney Rubble

Barney Rubble MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2008
    Relatively unique at least. There is currently no known method to produce a (meaningful) file with a given hash.

By exactly reproducing the steps Microsoft takes to build the different versions, you get the exact same result - with the same hash, of course. Since the only differences are the DVD label and the contents of ei.cfg, this is quite easy to accomplish.

13. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Don't call someone an idiot before reading whats been said IDIOT!

He said the file would become "official" I said it wouldn't because the other hash's within the ISO would still be WRONG.

14. win7user

win7user MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2009
    If the SHA1 is identical then the iso IS OFFICIAL.
    ISO hash can't be indentical to the official iso if any individual file even has a 1 byte difference.

15. EGOvoruhk

EGOvoruhk MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2009
    How can the hash of the ISO be the same, yet the hash of files inside of the ISO be different?..

16. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #17 Daz, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
    The contents of the ISO would have different checksums in areas, you can't modify a file and get the same checksum FACT.

Example if i modify ei.cfg from Ultimate to HomePremium its going to have a different hash, therefor when you look into the ISO it will clearly show the file has been tampered with, this meaning its NOT official.

If it was so easy to forge checksums don't you think this would be well known and all over the place by now?

17. TBH

TBH MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    I think there are some misunderstanding.
    If you modify the ei.cfg from Ultimate to HomePremium sure the hash of the former will be different to the latter.
    But the hash of the latter will be (if i undestood correctly) the same as the original HomePremium made by MS.

18. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Here's the thing... the OP is correct.

So long as you change your time to match the original time stamp and time zone of the original file you will not be modifying the timestamp data.

What the OP was talking about is, since all the files except the ei.cfg file are the same across all of the editions (of the same x86/x64 version), if you ONLY change the ei.cfg file to a matching file from another edition, you will be able to make the SAME image with the SAME hash.

To simplify things....
    If you took the Windows 7 Home Basic ISO, replaced the ei.cfg file with the one from Windows 7 Ultimage and saved the ISO --WITH THE SAME TIMESTAMP-- it will have the same SHA1 hash value as the official Ultimate ISO.

It's very long winded and time consuming and not very practical / useful for many people, but it's how things are done and informative for those who didn't know this before.

19. win7user

win7user MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2009
    NO ONE IS FORGING ANYTHING.

files are simply unpacked, nenecessary changes made to ei.cfg such that it is IDENTICAL to the MS ei.cfg for that edition, and files are finally repacked using the same method and parameters that MS uses.
    Result=Official MS ISO.

Supoose that any file is modified after unpacking, such that it is NOT identical to the MS file, then ISO hash will ALWAYS change.