865 Windows 8 apps now available in the Windows Store

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by roirraW "edor" ehT, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    #1 roirraW "edor" ehT, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. phailyoor

phailyoor MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2012
    865 too many IMO. Wasting everyone's time making metro only apps.

3. p00ky

p00ky MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2012
    Wow another useless comment attached to an informative post about windows 8 & its upcoming release. I'm interested in all info on Windows 8 as it may be useful, however, I'm certainly not interested in peoples opinions of it! I'll say it again, opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got one & they tend to stink. Enough with the windows 8 hate, you don't have to buy it or use it, stop filling up the forums with crap.

4. phailyoor

Aug 6, 2012
    If you're not interested in anyone's opinion, don't bother reading the replies. You can read the main article then move on to another thread, or you could just browse a news site. If I recall correctly, replies on a forum are mainly a place where people can voice their opinions, whether good or bad.

5. hybridseries

hybridseries MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    When the first Windows 8 preview with a store was released, everyone complained that there weren't going to be enough apps. Now that it looks like there will be a lot of apps at release, people start complaining that there are too many.

Ah, the glory and majesty of the Internet.

6. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    Who cares how many, most are crap. They can talk when all the good apps flow in.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. roirraW "edor" ehT

Sep 1, 2007
    Okay everyone. I'm still friends only with my ex-girlfriend, who is not very computer savvy at all. I had upgraded her Desktop to Windows 7 a few years ago and she recently had purchased a very small notebook (not quite a netbook) with Windows 7 with all the usual OEM crap installed. She didn't like the way it was working so, without wiping her old installation or data, I resized her 7 partition to only have 5GB free, and the rest for installing Windows 8. I installed Windows 8 Pro and activated it. I explained the advantages of using a Microsoft Account, even more so since she has two PCs, so she did that with my help.

Over the last couple of days she's played more with "Modern UI" than I have, and she loves it. Specifically, she loves the apps she's downloaded, played, and otherwise used. She's very happy and has already recommended Windows 8 to at least one friend of hers that I know of.

Just thought I would share a real-life situation where a probably average (or slightly less than average) PC user started to love Windows 8 almost immediately. Albeit, I put Classic Shell on every Windows installation and she still uses some Desktop stuff of course, but she's getting and appreciating the best of both worlds, and apparently there's enough quality FREE apps for an average user to appreciate and enjoy. After all, like everything else, they're just tools and as long as they do something for you, especially for free, and people use them, then that spells at least some degree of success.

Now, if someone has something constructive to say, than fine, but if not, then ... well... go somewhere else. :D

Now that's an opinion and I have no problem with it. Although I don't agree, what if Android had less than 1000 apps? What if iOS had less than 1000?

This, however, although still opinion, is stated as if you know what everyone else wants, which you not only don't know, but even when others have expressed opposing opinions to that, apparently you still think you know what everyone wants and needs. A little humility and less vanity would make your "opinions" actually seem more like opinions and less like a blanket party.

A response to this, at least by phailyoor, is neither wanted, desired or requested.

God I'm getting old and crotchety.

8. phailyoor

Aug 6, 2012
    That's actually pretty interesting. Of course, classic shell makes it kind of like using desktop "metroless" and then switching to metro mode when done using the desktop.

If possible, could you elaborate on this usage case?

Well, a man once told me "the only thing I need my phone for is email, facebook, and the internet" (the usual phone functions being given). I think he may be right. Those three tasks fill up most of what I want to do with my phone. In extension, the usefulness of my smartphone would only be slightly impaired if there was no app store, as my most used apps came with the phone. Same story with my android tablet. The other million? Aside from the odd gem here and there, it's all wrapped up web apps and mindless games. I have to agree with Gabe, and say that going against steam is jut going to give users a lot of WTF moments (see:eek:rigin). For everything(or at least a lot of things) else, I really, really see the need for a program with lots of buttons, and sometimes windows too.(Office, VS, Photoshop, MS paint, LaTeX, eclipse, etc.)

In the end, I think the creation of a totally separate app ecosystem is an entirely bad thing, because it will split development between two different platforms, and confuse the heck out of users. In the end, metro does not result in more programs being created for windows, it just results in the same number being created, except split between desktop and metro.

9. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    #10 jayblok, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  10. roirraW "edor" ehT

Sep 1, 2007
    My message to a moderator:

Could you please lock my thread? I get tired of every Windows 8 thread degenerating into Windows 8 like versus Windows H8 and I already don't like the directions my news post thread is taking.