Bios Recovery Procedures

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by petar, May 9, 2008.

1. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    #1 petar, May 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. reginakampher

reginakampher MDL Addicted

Apr 5, 2008
    Excellent information. They should make this a sticky

3. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    sticky... ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bennyboy

bennyboy MDL Member

May 9, 2007
    Very good. Well done!

All Motherboards need to have a BIOS recovery option like this.

5. GreGzor

GreGzor MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2008
    Alternative option for AMI BIOS Recovery

You can allso put a AMIBOOT.rom on an empty flashdisk / mp3player (have not tested with more than just the AMIBOOT.rom file on it)

Plug it in, see that it transfers some files and it will reboot it self when done (30sek - 2min) depending on system

/GreGer

6. HusinSam

HusinSam MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2008
    Dear GreGer,

Can I try this method (USB FlashDisk BOOT) even I dont have BIOS problem, just to be prepared in case of emergency.. :D

who know, as last week I just wrongly flashed BIOS. POST but always said BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR, can not boot, just stuck and the motherboard need to be send away, and cost me a few recovery fund. :(

Rgds
    Husin

7. jroc

jroc MDL Member

Aug 28, 2007
    AWARD BIOS Recovery

**just remember** ASUS Motherboard uses a different version of the AWDFLASH.

Lastest Version is 1.32
    Lastest Version on ASUS Site is 1.20

I haven't had any experiance to have to try this part..but not sure how this works on ASUS board when you can't get past a 'no post' Black Screen to even access your floppy drive?

Start your computer and if no flopy acces occurs press and hold Ctrl+Home to force update.

8. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    Updated the ASUS AMI BIOS Recovery.
    Also when creating the boot Floppy delete or rename the file config.sys if present.
    Couse we need DOS with no additional programs that are loaded, which could interfere with the operation of the BIOS flash application.

9. Jingle Bells

Jingle Bells MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2008
    Dear, guy, U should be worthy of hundreds of thanks!

10. Lockheed

Lockheed MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2008
    Object: Laptop Compaq Presario 6965ea

I was trying to recover my bios with USB stick/flash drive (32mb) and I tried all the methods but it doesnt work.

What happens is:
    1. I turn on the laptop while pressing win+R.
    2. I hear one beep and USB stick led starts to blink, then becomes solid.
    3. Nothing happens (the screen is off at all times - is it normal?).

I tried the same procedure with other, empty flash drive and it's the outcome is the same. If I try it without flash drive connected, computer beeps few times and does nothing.

In the first post USB stick is mentioned, but is it really possible?

11. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    #14 petar, Jun 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    (OP)
  12. Lockheed

Lockheed MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2008
    This is a Phoenix Bios so the method in the link you provided (AMI) would probably not work.

13. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    In that case the only think that is left for you to try to recover from USB Floppy.
    Now I've noticed that you were pressing win+R to make the USB Flash drive to blink.
    Have you tryed the other key combinations ?
    You can also try to plug the USB Flash disk on the other USB ports, if available.
    Before each recovery attempt, remove the battery and unplag the computer from the power.
    Pres the power button and some random keys on the keyboard and leave the computer for a minute or two so the leftover ststic electricity can disapate.

14. Lockheed

Lockheed MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2008
    I tried alt+B and fn+b but it had no effect.
    I also tried various USB ports with the same result.

About the battery - I read somewhere that flashing only works with bettery in (although I tried both ways).
    Can this getting rid of leftover electricity really make any difference?

BTW, will any USB floppy drive work? I mean even the cheapest one?

15. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    Yes any USB Floppy will do the work just as the most expensive will do it.
    But it isnt a guarantie that you will be able to recover, couse if the Boot Block (BBL) is damaged, there is no guarnaties that the recovery procedure will work.
    The only way to recover if the Floppy metod deos not recover the bios is the Hotflash procedure or a Programer.

16. Lockheed

Lockheed MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2008
    Well, my bios is still fine but I'm gonna hack the HP's whitelist to make it boot up with my new wifi card. I don't think this procedure can damage BBL, can it?

Also, while the bios is being updated (from win+r boot to power off) should I see anything on the screen or it remains black all the time?

BTW2 - my bios is for Laptop and thus it has very limited number of options. Is it possible to enable more of them?

17. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008